Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
WB issue in LR 5 with K-3 DNG

I'm having weird problem with my LR 5.2 and K-3 raw files.

Here is how the image looks like when imported to my LR:

As you can see the WB is whacked after imported to LR (temp 3650, tint -18), after correction it is 3800 and +15 which resembles how it looks like on the K-3 LCD.

Zone AWB is used in camera.

Need someone to do quick test for me to see if you encounter same issue or I might need to re-install my LR
Here is the DNG:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qqc20oxb9mjtqp/IMGP0493.DNG

11-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Re-installing LR is not the solution.

Is not Zone AWB a newfangled Pentax method? I would think that LR's interpretation of the Pentax data would have to be upgraded to accurately reflect those values. In a perfect world this would occur with an upcoming version of LR--after all the K-3 is brand new; but if LR requires significant coding, then it may not happen that quickly, if ever. You may have to use the Pentax-supplied software as an interim. Or just make do correcting the WB all the time--which I tend to do with 80% of my raw files anyway.

M
11-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Did another test with AWB instead of Zone AWB, didn't exhibit the same problem with the green tint
11-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi,

Please wait for ADOBE to come up with support for Camera. I have my doubts Adobe Lightroom 5.2 has K-3 support yet. (Technically yes, with DNG it should not matter but then we never know sometimes things don't work even though when they are supposed to).

I would actually try to look at these pictures using FastStone viewer. (Easy and Free).

Cheers!

11-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi,

Please wait for ADOBE to come up with support for Camera. I have my doubts Adobe Lightroom 5.2 has K-3 support yet. (Technically yes, with DNG it should not matter but then we never know sometimes things don't work even though when they are supposed to).

I would actually try to look at these pictures using FastStone viewer. (Easy and Free).

Cheers!
It looks fine on FastStone on preview mode, when pressing A it has the wrong WB as well.
I guess on preview mode FastStone read the embedded jpeg inside the DNG
11-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had the same or similar problem with DNG files from K-3 with Auto WB. I had to correct the WB in LR using the eyedropper. The initial previews visible when importing looked normal but as they updated, the got that green color cast. I also noticed that there is no Adobe Standard camera profile available, only embedded. Oh, I forgot to add that I had also had the camera to "multi auto" WB.
11-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

MAWB is not going to be supported by Adobe because Adobe converters don't read nothing beside of average WB temperature/tint from the RAW file. It doesn't read (any) manufacturers settings or profiles, never was and probably never will.

11-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
MAWB is not going to be supported by Adobe because Adobe converters don't read nothing beside of average WB temperature/tint from the RAW file. It doesn't read (any) manufacturers settings or profiles, never was and probably never will.
They should be able to add it to DNG just as they have added lens optimization and correction.
11-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
just as they have added lens optimization and correction.
It's a separate lens profile, Lr/ACR don't read it from a DNG file even if it is there. They just read the lens tag in the metadata and use their own correction profile from the database.
11-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's a separate lens profile, Lr/ACR don't read it from a DNG file even if it is there. They just read the lens tag in the metadata and use their own correction profile from the database.
1.3.0.0, published June, 2009
This version added various improvements, but the major change was to introduce "Opcodes". A Opcode is an algorithm to be applied to some or all of the image data, described in the specification, and (optionally) implemented in the product that reads and processes the DNG file. The DNG file itself holds lists of Opcodes to be executed, together with the parameters to be applied on execution. In effect, the DNG file can contain lists of "function calls" to be executed at various stages in the raw conversion process. For example, the WarpRectilinear Opcode "applies a warp to an image and can be used to correct geometric distortion and lateral (transverse) chromatic aberration for rectilinear lenses". This is an example of an algorithm that cannot be applied to the raw image data itself before it is placed into the DNG file, because it should be executed after demosaicing. There are 13 Opcodes described in this version, and each Opcode is accompanied by a specification version so that more can be added in future.

DNG had to be updated to include Opcode to support lens correction. DNG will have to be updated to support multi-area WB.
11-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

DNG had to be updated to include Opcode to support lens correction.
Yes, but ACR/Lr don't read them. They use their own lens profiles. There is a lot of information in the RAW metadata which Adobe converter simply ignores. You can see the list of lenses they are adding/updating each time the new version comes out.
11-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, but ACR/Lr don't read them. They use their own lens profiles. There is a lot of information in the RAW metadata which Adobe converter simply ignores. You can see the list of lenses they are adding/updating each time the new version comes out.
Yes, but DNG had to be updated to support this information. DNG will need to be updated to support MAWB.
11-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

DNG will need to be updated to support MAWB.
Is this information passed to the Pentax converter? Does it support the DNGs or PEFs only, like before? I haven't used it for years...
11-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #14

The MAWB should be P-Auto from Ricoh GRD camera... it work very well with GRD DNG files in LR

The new LR / ACR updates not include K-3

We may need to use eye drop for another couple months...
11-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
The MAWB should be P-Auto from Ricoh GRD camera... it work very well with GRD DNG files in LR

The new LR / ACR updates not include K-3

We may need to use eye drop for another couple months...
ACR 8.3 RC doesn't include the K-3 so I guess you're right.