Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

My first impressions of the K-3

Got my K-3 Friday, to test it for my new blog. I have to get used to a Pentax after not using one for quite a while, but it's definitely a solid camera with great output. I posted more impressions and samples on my blog and Flickr, to those who are interested. Shoot me questions about what you want me to look at, although my line of Pentax lenses is not large so I'm a bit limited.

11-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Hi! Could you please tell me if youre able to change the colour of the highlighted edges when using focus peaking? The edges were white on the K30 and it was sometimes hard to see.

Thanks.
11-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Can you shoot with all corrections enabled without the buffer slowing down in full burst and can you check the Multi White Balance correction in a location with different light sources in one location?

Last edited by tabl10s; 11-04-2013 at 06:17 PM.
11-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My battery is still charging up, so no pictures yet, but the camera arrived today. It's much beefier and heavier than my K-x in a way the raw specs don't quite give justice to. This is not a camera that fits comfortably in petite, arthritic hands. But overall it feels solid and the controls have just the right amount of firmness. Fit and finish is a winner, but I will be worried I will drop it every time I have to hold it without strap around my neck, that's for sure.

11-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
My battery is still charging up, so no pictures yet, but the camera arrived today. It's much beefier and heavier than my K-x in a way the raw specs don't quite give justice to. This is not a camera that fits comfortably in petite, arthritic hands. But overall it feels solid and the controls have just the right amount of firmness. Fit and finish is a winner, but I will be worried I will drop it every time I have to hold it without strap around my neck, that's for sure.
Congrats on everyone getting the K3, I just picked mine up from the store as I got the call it came in while at work

Nicole I rarely use the neck strap anymore, it's to hard on your neck after long trips or walks. I'd recommend getting something similar to the camera straps in this review. Best camera strap: 6 top models tested and rated | Digital Camera World
11-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Congrats on everyone getting the K3, I just picked mine up from the store as I got the call it came in while at work

Nicole I rarely use the neck strap anymore, it's to hard on your neck after long trips or walks. I'd recommend getting something similar to the camera straps in this review. Best camera strap: 6 top models tested and rated | Digital Camera World
+1 I have a Blackrapid for my K7 which will be similar in weight to the K3, I also have had a Kx so I definitly know the additional heft. I currently use the BlackRapid for the K7, a handstrap and carabina (to quickly attach to a belt loop when I need both hands) for my K01 and just a wriststrap for my little ole Q.
I HATE neck straps
11-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I go out its generally on rugged terrain... the camera is IN the bag. Otherwise it'd end up smashed on a rock or tree. I miss shots that way, but it beats a dead camera. It doesn't stay on my neck for long.

I've looked at every camera strap I can find in a store, which is not a great selection around here. I can't bring myself to like the ones that use the tripod plate, and the other cross body straps aren't boob friendly. There's one supposedly made for women, but since their models are built like teenage boys I remain skeptical.

I keep looking at the hand straps online, but I think carrying that much weight on my wrists would be too painful. One could possibly be a little extra security when pulling the camera out of the bag, though, so I will probably try one.

11-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Cotton Carrier, this is the best for hiking and city walking. The weight is spread everywhere
Cotton Carrier CAMERA VEST for 1 Camera
11-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I keep looking at the hand straps online, but I think carrying that much weight on my wrists would be too painful. One could possibly be a little extra security when pulling the camera out of the bag, though, so I will probably try one.
While not exactly in your situation (I'm a male rock climber in my early 40's), I hate things around my neck, particularly with any weight. I've been using a Camdapter hand strap for many years now (first on my K20D, then K-5, now K-3), although the camera rests in my Kata H-12 whenever I'm not actively shooting, so truly it's the padded shoulder strap of the holster bag that holds the camera most of the time. Sometimes I attach a shoulder strap to the Camdapter and the other strap lug when I have a lens that's too big for the holster (like my 50-500mm!) but again, nothing is around my neck, and the camera is only temporarily held by the grip, with the wrist strap adding protection against drops.
11-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnvr Quote
Got my K-3 Friday, to test it for my new blog. I have to get used to a Pentax after not using one for quite a while, but it's definitely a solid camera with great output. I posted more impressions and samples on my blog and Flickr, to those who are interested. Shoot me questions about what you want me to look at, although my line of Pentax lenses is not large so I'm a bit limited.
Thanks for sharing. Good to hear from another Pentaxian in the metro NYC region...
11-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
Did the review

I finally finished my review. It's on my site. I really like the camera, but I'm not so sure about APS-C anymore, at least not in a DSLR.

I'll answer the questions later.
11-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John, I read your review, and think its pretty balanced and fair, you point out the really great things about this camera (I'm an early adapter, so quite possibly biased) and system (small, top quality lenses, etc) and state reasons why it's not for you. That's fair I think.
11-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnvr Quote
my line of Pentax lenses is not large so I'm a bit limited.
That's the beauty of the limiteds... NOT large
11-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I go out its generally on rugged terrain... I can't bring myself to like the ones that use the tripod plate, and the other cross body straps aren't boob friendly.
Have you seen the Peak Design Capture, Leash & Cuff combo. I use the capture all the time during fieldwork in demanding scenarios and find the leash comfortable in sling mode. I haven't tried the cuff though, but I think I'll get one of those soon. The Capture is a tripod plate device, but unlike any other. You can carry the camera securely attached to bag straps, a belt, or many other things that have a strap to clamp it to. There will always be some way to carry the camera such that it doesn't press/rub uncomfortably, and maintain quick access as an when needed.

https://peakdesignltd.com/capture/
11-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Have you seen the Peak Design Capture, Leash & Cuff combo. I use the capture all the time during fieldwork in demanding scenarios and find the leash comfortable in sling mode. I haven't tried the cuff though, but I think I'll get one of those soon. The Capture is a tripod plate device, but unlike any other. You can carry the camera securely attached to bag straps, a belt, or many other things that have a strap to clamp it to. There will always be some way to carry the camera such that it doesn't press/rub uncomfortably, and maintain quick access as an when needed.

https://peakdesignltd.com/capture/
That is an interesting option! Thanks for sharing.