Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,501
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Well it sounds like you are smitten with the K-3 and no rational arguments are going to sway you LOL! So go ahead and enjoy the K-3, but remember that the camera is the smallest part of the equation. Best of luck with the rest!
Languishing, I am sure you can make it work if you are determined, but you should be aware that Flores is a very talented pro (especially on the stills end of things) and I think he's giving you the right advice up at the top.

Really, if you plan to work in film professionally none of the combo stills-based cameras are great. Think long and hard about separate tools for the differing tasks, and recognize that a few years down the road it is likely that most paid jobs will be specifying 4k video. Of greatest importance is your investment in lenses which are long term, as opposed to the body, processor and sensor technologies that move on fairly rapidly.

You are just starting out, and you shouldn't make these decisions on the assumption that you won't be behind the camera when you get into the business. It's a good idea to understand and work in all aspects of the business - especially starting out.

11-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 991
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Of greatest importance is your investment in lenses
kind of why i came up with the idea of buying a cheap K01 for now combined with 28/50mm prime. you can learn so much with this regarding video and use the saved cash on e.g. audio solution, maybe fun stuff like a small slider... & the decision on brand investments is pushed forward a bit. Over time, the price of a k3 will go down...
But then again, he points out that he also wants more in photography. Seen TCS review? K3 is great cam for combining photo & video.
I understand very well his heart says yes! Mine says: there is my K20D replacement! :-)
I agree with Jim: be careful with investing in lenses. buy only what you need to begin with & select them carefully

Now i'm off, have to order a k3
11-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Languishing, I am sure you can make it work if you are determined, but you should be aware that Flores is a very talented pro (especially on the stills end of things) and I think he's giving you the right advice up at the top.

Really, if you plan to work in film professionally none of the combo stills-based cameras are great. Think long and hard about separate tools for the differing tasks, and recognize that a few years down the road it is likely that most paid jobs will be specifying 4k video. Of greatest importance is your investment in lenses which are long term, as opposed to the body, processor and sensor technologies that move on fairly rapidly.

You are just starting out, and you shouldn't make these decisions on the assumption that you won't be behind the camera when you get into the business. It's a good idea to understand and work in all aspects of the business - especially starting out.
I've found out that many students to the university im applying to usually use DSLRs for their work.. but when it comes down to the professional cameras for certain videos that they make they will be using the cameras provided by the school. So, this camera is basically just for my own personal use as well as my portfolio, etc.
11-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 337
I had hopes for the K-3 to make a come back in Video - Pentax had failed for the last 4 years.
They have lost so much time ... or forgot it, spit on it, or simply didn't manage to start competing
with other brands: Canon, Panasonic, Olympus and Sony.

Professional Video is expensive ... so I still hoped I could some day use my four lenses by Pentax
in one of their future Video-DSLRs- That would make it affordable to do small dirty videos for the
web and not for broadcast purposes .... It almost looked as if the K-3 could be a winner ...

Still for photo-needs I got me a K-7 withsome terribly oldfashioned amateurish manual video-controle
apocalypse on board - full of noise and moire all over every contrast shape and border - but I used it
for training purposes to find good ways do make it handy and easy to work with - finding ways to have
easy and minimum-weight: grip sound and light, etc.... to be ready one day for the ultimate Pentax Body
to solve all past problems about technical and management faults ...

The K-7 had a wonderful Video Shake Reduction - that was maybe the only real big thing at all then.
I was able to shoot with a manual 200mm tele freehanded, leaning against the wall or from the windowsill.
Doing documentaries quickly you mostly can't use a tripod - so DSLR-shaking has to be smoothened the
most possible way. The K-7 did that very successfully.

Well ... the K-3 now seems to have a poor and shockingly disgusting SR: (Watch starting at 07:42)



Last edited by TomGarn; 11-06-2013 at 05:10 PM.
11-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
I had hopes for the K-3 to make a come back in Video - Pentax had failed for the last 4 years.
They have lost so much time ... or forgot it, spit on it, or simply didn't manage to start competing
with other brands: Canon, Panasonic, Olympus and Sony.

Professional Video is expensive ... so I still hoped I could some day use my four lenses by Pentax
in one of their future Video-DSLRs- That would make it affordable to do small dirty videos for the
web and not for broadcast purposes .... It almost looked as if the K-3 could be a winner ...

Still for photo-needs I got me a K-7 withsome terribly oldfashioned amateurish manual video-controle
apocalypse on board - full of noise and moire all over every contrast shape and border - but I used it
for training purposes to find good ways do make it handy and easy to work with - finding ways to have
easy and minimum-weight: grip sound and light, etc.... to be ready one day for the ultimate Pentax Body
to solve all past problems about technical and management faults ...

The K-7 had a wonderful Video Shake Reduction - that was maybe the only real big thing at all then.
I was able to shoot with a manual 200mm tele freehanded, leaning against the wall or from the windowsill.
Doing documentaries quickly you mostly can't use a tripod - so DSLR-shaking has to be smoothened the
most possible way. The K-7 did that very successfully.

Well ... the K-3 now seems to have a poor and shockingly disgusting SR: (Watch starting at 07:42)
Pentax K-3 Hands-On Field Test - YouTub
I've noticed that aswell...

I was thinking about buying the black magic pocket cine camera.. but the white spots when there's light fixtures is a con - aswell as the short battery life span & sd cards I have to buy when space runs out ugh.. the k-x looked perfect for video..imo
11-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #21
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Original Poster
Also avoid the terrible shake-reduction? cause in k-x it seemed normal doing handheld footage like in my first video example.
11-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
A monopod is your friend.
11-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 340
Thats a cumbersome workaround and should not be necessary in the first place. It also does not help with the permanent 4/3rds sized image sensor crop in video mode.

Unless Pentax fix the k-3 video mode the logical choice it to use a different brand if you are serious about video.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
A monopod is your friend.


11-06-2013, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 337
I never ever used a monopod - and I don't want to run around with to much ballast.
A tripod is OK for certain scenes ... if really needed.
But a handheld DSLR needs some good SR, because manual controles and pushing
buttons spread all over ... distracts more than on most other camerabodies. Right ?
I do call that "micro-shakings"

I don't like Canons so much - but that company 60D I'm running around with - I mostly
use a Tamron 17-50 / 2,8 (VC) that manages at least half of the SR space a K-7 can
manage so greatly

... if you know what I want to say ... I'll try again:

It feels as if the safe area of the K-7 SR is double as vast as in that Tamron VC glass
(Vibration Compensation)
... but that Tamron VC at least works very well and I feel it is
better than any bullshit movie SR ....

Why did they do this again to us ?

Last edited by TomGarn; 11-06-2013 at 07:19 PM.
11-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Unless Pentax fix the k-3 video mode the logical choice it to use a different brand if you are serious about video.
If you are serious about video, you don't handhold your shots unless you are going after the cinema verité look.
11-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 340
So in the history of filmmaking no one has or ever wanted to hand hold a camera to get the shot? Got it. Let's just keep being apologetic on behalf of Pentax and rationalize away their poor design choices (especially ones which could be fixed in firmware with some minimal effort under customer pressure).

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If you are serious about video, you don't handhold your shots unless you are going after the cinema verité look.

Last edited by Ayoh; 11-06-2013 at 07:52 PM.
11-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 337
hahaha ... you got that most clear enough, Ayoh ... ;-)

Btw:
Tripods (maybe monopods) you need to use for quiete interviews, calm panning and zooming across the landscape,
details in macro, etc. But if you run around as a ENG-cameraman you mostly do it from your shoulder, which can be
shaky also, but OK ... if you are relaxed and clean enough on that day.

All handheld camcorders can be a drag in longer interviews. You will find relief in shoulder rigs, a monopod or - a tripod
of course. And whenever you are out of wide angle this is a must anyway.
11-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
So in the history of filmmaking no one has or ever wanted to hand hold a camera to get the shot? Got it. Let's just keep being apologetic on behalf of Pentax and rationalize away their poor design choices (especially ones which could be fixed in firmware with some minimal effort under customer pressure).
Watch a hundred hours of television/film and tell me how much of it is shot handheld. You'd be lucky to see 15 minutes of handheld footage in that time.

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
hahaha ... you got that most clear enough, Ayoh ... ;-)

Btw:
Tripods (maybe monopods) you need to use for quiete interviews, calm panning and zooming across the landscape,
details in macro, etc. But if you run around as a ENG-cameraman you mostly do it from your shoulder, which can be
shaky also, but OK ... if you are relaxed and clean enough on that day.

All handheld camcorders can be a drag in longer interviews. You will find relief in shoulder rigs, a monopod or - a tripod
of course. And whenever you are out of wide angle this is a must anyway.
ENG is one situation where good shake reduction is a real help, but that's also a situation where dSLRs in general aren't really the right tool for the job due to poor AF, lack of built-in ND filters, overheating, lack of sophisticated audio controls/monitoring, etc... TomGarn, do you shoot a lot of shoulder-mount/ENG type stuff? Is that why you are disappointed in the lack of mechanical SR?
11-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 340
Look, you don't seem to understand the issue. Regardless of whether you do not use SR in your shots because you think one should only use monopods and tripods (or what they do on TV) is not the point. The new camera has gone backwards in terms on SR functionality compared to an old model. The k5 already had good video image quality and effective SR. The new k3 has useless SR and a permanent crop in video mode reducing angle of view. This is stupid. Even if you use a tripod or whatever to do things the "serious" way you still lose functionality for no good reason. Why deny basic logic like a brand evangelist and rationalize away needless limitations? It is not for your own good.

It is better for the company if customers are critical and demanding, so that they are under pressure to make better products.


QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Watch a hundred hours of television/film and tell me how much of it is shot handheld. You'd be lucky to see 15 minutes of handheld footage in that time.



ENG is one situation where good shake reduction is a real help, but that's also a situation where dSLRs in general aren't really the right tool for the job due to poor AF, lack of built-in ND filters, overheating, lack of sophisticated audio controls/monitoring, etc...
11-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #30
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Look, you don't seem to understand the issue. Regardless of whether you do not use SR in your shots because you think one should only use monopods and tripods (or what they do on TV) is not the point. The new camera has gone backwards in terms on SR functionality compared to an old model. The k5 already had good video image quality and effective SR. The new k3 has useless SR and a permanent crop in video mode reducing angle of view. This is stupid. Even if you use a tripod or whatever to do things the "serious" way you still lose functionality for no good reason. Why deny basic logic like a brand evangelist and rationalize away needless limitations? It is not for your own good.

It is better for the company if customers are critical and demanding, so that they are under pressure to make better products.
So what kinds of videos do you shoot where the lack of mechanical SR and cropped image will adversely affect the final result?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, dslr, film, hardware, k-3, k-5, k-x, k3, pentax, pentax k-3, people, video, videos, youtube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good lenses for video? ripit Pentax K-01 12 11-07-2013 06:58 PM
Now that official K-3 specs are released, how good for video? jake14mw Video and Pentax HDSLRs 20 10-14-2013 12:56 PM
RICOH Promo Video for the K-3 Steve.Ledger Pentax K-3 17 10-10-2013 02:02 PM
With HDMI out & 3.5mm stereo mic in the K-01 is better than the K-30 for video jogiba Pentax K-01 2 05-22-2012 01:52 PM
For my K-X , what is a good video editing software? dude163 Video and Pentax HDSLRs 10 06-21-2010 01:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top