Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 03:28 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Tom, you are the poet, the prophet predicting Pentax' death.

I don't see things as gloomy

11-30-2014, 05:16 AM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I would like to think Tom is only refering to the video side of Pentax DSLR, in which case I agree and say video RIP.
There is still a long life for Pentax in the still camera market.

In a DSLR I want all my spending money going into a top notch still camera, if I want quality video I will, oddly as the name suggests, buy a dedicated video/camcorder. I am sure there are many others that feel like me.
11-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see things as gloomy
I thought the poem was designed for humor.
11-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I thought the poem was designed for humor.
Nope. I think he is dead serious.

And in a market where most people expect the camera to be good at both (apart from a couple of Pentax die hards) Pentax might indeed be doomed. If other cameras are (almost) as good as Pentax at stills, but much better at video, which one will they go for? Even the size advantage of Pentax is gone, mirror less are nearly as good as DSLRs, but lighter, smaller, faster, better at video.

11-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. I think he is dead serious.

And in a market where most people expect the camera to be good at both (apart from a couple of Pentax die hards) Pentax might indeed be doomed. If other cameras are (almost) as good as Pentax at stills, but much better at video, which one will they go for? Even the size advantage of Pentax is gone, mirror less are nearly as good as DSLRs, but lighter, smaller, faster, better at video.
I read it quickly but it seemed to me he was focusing on user perceptions and demands more than quality of camera. In any case, we will see within a couple of months where this is going.
11-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #66
Site Supporter

nearly as good
Nearly?

Some are not ready to admit it but they are equivalent in many things.
11-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And in a market where most people expect the camera to be good at both
I don't know. I question how good it needs to be from a marketing pov. a lot of people buy a camera just to use at parties and family recordings or travel.
they might be perfectly happy with how a pentax records video. they get their occassional video next to photos. they don't care about framerates, moire or a bit of aliasing or the SR. "Nah, it wobbles a bit, but what the hec.."

just thinking out loud..
11-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I don't know. I question how good it needs to be from a marketing pov. a lot of people buy a camera just to use at parties and family recordings or travel.
they might be perfectly happy with how a pentax records video. they get their occassional video next to photos. they don't care about framerates, moire or a bit of aliasing or the SR. "Nah, it wobbles a bit, but what the hec.."

just thinking out loud..
I think normal people buy Canon DSLRs also because they heard they are great for video, and they were used on TV. And if reviewers say Pentax lags behind on video, then that may kill Pentax for them.

On the other hand if Pentax can advertise with smooth video without having to use additional gear, that can improve sales.

11-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like my K3, K-5 and K-01 for video. That is because I mainly take pictures and they allow me to do acceptable videos without having to have another camera with me. The results are just fine. If I ever decide to make professional videos I will get a professional camera.
11-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I really like my K3, K-5 and K-01 for video. That is because I mainly take pictures and they allow me to do acceptable videos without having to have another camera with me. The results are just fine. If I ever decide to make professional videos I will get a professional camera.
Can you afford a professional video camera? They can make the 645Z look cheap.

Anyway it wouldn't hurt Pentax to be competitive or even one up other brands.

Btw., the A7 II IBIS doesn't seem too effective, perhaps the large sensor size/weight is an issue?
11-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you afford a professional video camera? They can make the 645Z look cheap.
No, but I have no need for one. Neither do I pretend that my Honda Accord is an ATV. It does what I bought it for and does it well. It would not do that well if it was equipped for all vehicle uses. NEX cameras are cheap and take good video if you need a dedicated video camera. Keep all your good Pentax lenses and use them on both cameras if you like.
12-01-2014, 01:54 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Btw., the A7 II IBIS doesn't seem too effective
I saw the test..
Not too impressed either.
I wonder if it's not better to invest in gear outside the camera so you can use it later on with any camera.
12-01-2014, 05:21 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I saw the test..
Not too impressed either.
I wonder if it's not better to invest in gear outside the camera so you can use it later on with any camera.
A friend bought a glidecam (well, clone, but supposed to be good), and he has quite a couple of issues with it. Weight, size, goofy looks, getting the thing to do what he wants... it's not ideal either. Really depends on the goal. For average consumers the Pentax system is IMHO good enough. I suppose for journalists too, who are supposed to also grab a quick video. And maybe even to shoot a short or so, depending on the look you want. Tools like gymbals, glidecams etc. are more for filmmakers doing planned shoots with permissions and all. If you don't have that, want to shoot unnoticed etc. SR is IMHO perhaps better.
12-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I hear you.
But I will not always use a pentax for video, nor a sony or sthing else. Camera models change. Lenses & surrounding gear are keepers. Who knows what i'll play with in future. Maybe a BMC or as mentioned above a nex A6000 or successor.
The downside is indeed weight & size. For stealthy quick video it would be nice to be able to revert to a in camera system when needed.
12-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #75
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the K3 for video but there is one thing that really bugs me - I don't understand why there is no full quality on the HDMI while shooting? I am used to have a bigger monitor connected with other cameras for easy focusing, but this is not possible with K3 as it gives a very low resolution video on the HDMI while recording.

I would really wish for a firmware update that solves this.