Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

In The K-3 Preview...

the author suggests that screw-drive AF may have run it's course, If a new flagship does away with this feature would you support it? I, myself, would keep the K-3 as the "baseline" body but would hate to re-purchase matched FL's in SDM/DC, etc.

11-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
the author suggests that screw-drive AF may have run it's course, If a new flagship does away with this feature would you support it? I, myself, would keep the K-3 as the "baseline" body but would hate to re-purchase matched FL's in SDM/DC, etc.
It's not even possible to buy matcing lenses with SDM/DC.
11-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What's the worst case scenario?
11-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think what the review meant was it's time to start releasing lenses with DC as a standard item. I doubt it was implied that Pentax should abandon screwdrive on new bodies, that's just insane. I have only one motorized lens, the 18-135 and it is very quick, silent and seems to lock focus more quickly than most other lenses I have.

11-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All new lenses should be DC while still being screw-drive capable. Like how the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 are SDM that can be reverted to screw-drive by tweaking. That's what I'd look for, not the removal of screw-drive.
11-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I think what the review meant was it's time to start releasing lenses with DC as a standard item. I doubt it was implied that Pentax should abandon screwdrive on new bodies, that's just insane. I have only one motorized lens, the 18-135 and it is very quick, silent and seems to lock focus more quickly than most other lenses I have.
Hopefully we see Pentax begin a massive lens update program to add HD coatings and DC motors.
11-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Inactive Account

They should be adding things not removing ! Like the krippled mount fix.

Nikon DF has it right

11-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote

Nikon DF has it right
Not everyone concurs…. some say it plays on nostalgia, and doesn't actually present a true mechanical manual shooting experience.
11-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
The suggestion was that all new lenses should have a built-in focus motor and no screw drive whereas the camera bodies should continue to support also screw drive lenses for backwards compatibility.

The new lenses would then be manual focus only on the very old DSLRs (*istD series and K100D/K110D) which are hardly in use anymore anyway.

It would be cool to also get rid of the aperture control lever on new lenses (but continue support for it in the bodies) so that all camera/lens linkage become electronic like on the Q series.

An all-electronic mount would be more reliable, more accurate, and silent.
11-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote

Nikon DF has it right
The Nikon DF which works with up to 9 non-CPU lenses, and for the pre-AI ones it requires you to set the aperture on both the camera and the lens.

As for Pentax removing screw drive support from their cameras, they just relaunched the screw drive HD DA Limiteds.
11-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The suggestion was that all new lenses should have a built-in focus motor and no screw drive whereas the camera bodies should continue to support also screw drive lenses for backwards compatibility.

The new lenses would then be manual focus only on the very old DSLRs (*istD series and K100D/K110D) which are hardly in use anymore anyway.

It would be cool to also get rid of the aperture control lever on new lenses (but continue support for it in the bodies) so that all camera/lens linkage become electronic like on the Q series.

An all-electronic mount would be more reliable, more accurate, and silent.
Sir, don't go dissing the K100D !
11-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
All new lenses should be DC while still being screw-drive capable. Like how the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 are SDM that can be reverted to screw-drive by tweaking. That's what I'd look for, not the removal of screw-drive.
Why do new DC motor lenses also need screw drive focusing? It's been several years since Pentax released a camera body that doesn't support electric focusing and those remaining owners aren't likely to buy all-new lenses at this point.
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Why do new DC motor lenses also need screw drive focusing? It's been several years since Pentax released a camera body that doesn't support electric focusing and those remaining owners aren't likely to buy all-new lenses at this point.
I would like to be able to use the screw-drive if the DC motor fails - regardless of how reliable the DC motor is.
11-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I would like to be able to use the screw-drive if the DC motor fails - regardless of how reliable the DC motor is.
I agree with this, especially after my horrible & expensive experience with the DA* 50-135 SMC. The quality of this thing was really a bad move on Pentax's part.