Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 09:41 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 multi exposure and interval composite

When I ordered my K-3 I did know that they had upped the number of images that could be used with multi exposure but I didn't realise what a complete rework they had done. It is great previously when doing multi exposure I would have to please the shutter or a release now you can set an interval. I've written about it here on my blog

Pentax K-3 Multi exposure and Interval Composition | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

Last edited by Painter; 11-05-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Apple iPad autocorrect sucks
11-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this information. I think I'll enjoy trying that out.
11-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good write-up and a very cool set of features. Thanks for sharing!
11-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #4

Thanks....another feature that I will have to investigate!!

11-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An example image.

http://wkoopmans.ca/notebook/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PentaxK3_multiexposure-0212.jpg
04-04-2014, 01:35 AM   #6

Hi
Does it works for RAW or only for JPEG?
04-04-2014, 02:59 AM   #7
Unregistered User

I did some testing in the beginning, combining several ISO100 shots in low light and short exposure time to compare with one shot at the same exposure but with higher ISO.

Thanks for reminding me of this superb feature.

04-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It does work with RAW

QuoteOriginally posted by jeanpierre Quote
Hi
Does it works for RAW or only for JPEG?
It works in Raw as well as JPEG
04-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
It works in Raw as well as JPEG
Many thanks Painter!
04-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you. I didn´t think of this use. Need to try it asap.
04-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great job on the write up of the Multiple Exposure mode on the K3. It's nice to see it documented as the it's one of the best Multiple Exposures of any camera around now. For me, as i shoot multiple exposures 80-90 percent of the time, the K3's new M.E mode made it worth the upgrade alone. The fact that it is now in the drive mode makes life so much easier. What was annoying with the K5 M.E. mode was if you had shot 3 out 5 images (or whatever) and felt it was enough and cancelled the remaining exposures, when then again selecting M.E mode it would take one shot and knock out of a sequence of multiple exposures. This was a real nuisance. Now with the K3, that's no longer a problem.

The 'bright blend' composite mode is also a major added bonus and seems to open up a whole new creative mode. In particular i found this mode works amazingly for blending a sequence of Intentional Camera Movement M.E's. The way the pixels interact is massively different to the standard 'average' and additive' composite modes.

In a review of the K3 in Imaging Resource, it was stated that there was the option to select an image already stored on the camera as the first shot in a new series of multiple exposures at another time. I contacted the site and Pentax at the same time as i couldn't find any other info to confirm the K3 could do it. Pentax got back to me before the reviewer to confirm that it was incorrect but that they would forward it to the developers who may add it in a firmware update. Only the Canon 5d mark iii and 1D mark 'whatever the latest one is" has this feature now i believe. This would open a whole other door of creating images that would normally require Photoshop.

A wee example of the 5 M.E.s (four of them 1 second) in bright blend mode in the forest.

09-27-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Tutorial for K-3 multi exposure modes: (Additive, Average and Bright)

Hi!

I've tried to search for a good tutorial on how to use the different multi exposure settings (Additive, Average and Bright) on the K-3. But no luck...
I went to the local water fall today, to simulate a ND-filter and a long exposure time, to make the water look like silk, and tried all of the settings, but the result was not overwhelming.

Anyone that has a good explanation on how to use the 3 different modes, incl. exposure settings (shutter time and aperture), number of shots, and some example photos? Of a waterfall or something else.

Yes, I have read the manual.

/Zantaphia
10-08-2014, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Blood Moon

I tried the interval composite mode on the moon last night and found you cant change the camera settings once the interval begins. It would be nice to change the settings for something that changes brightness. It was a good lessons learned. Not as sharp as I would like but the possibilities of using this mode could be a lot of fun.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good effort on the moon, we just had cloud and more cloud! I just read the K3 can do up to 2000 multiple exposures, maybe I lack imagination but what the heck could you do with that or even 100?
10-10-2014, 02:24 AM   #15
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
Good effort on the moon, we just had cloud and more cloud! I just read the K3 can do up to 2000 multiple exposures, maybe I lack imagination but what the heck could you do with that or even 100?
I promise you that someone will find a way to use all 2000 and then complain that it is not enought.