Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,073
QuoteOriginally posted by arsn.r3d Quote
Awww man...now I wanna buy one.
Seriously. Ricoh should hire that guy.

11-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,002
Great stuff as usual, guys. And we'll forgive you the OOF segment, Jordan, since you are otherwise spot on. A couple questions about the K-3's video capabilities:

1-That OOF segment, did you try using focus peaking there or was it plain user error/unfamiliarity with a camera?

2-As someone that's probably shot a lot of the latest cameras, where would you rate the K-3's video vs the main competitors like the 70D, D7100, GH3, and Sony NEX, et. al?

Thanks again!
11-06-2013, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Great stuff as usual, guys. And we'll forgive you the OOF segment, Jordan, since you are otherwise spot on. A couple questions about the K-3's video capabilities:

1-That OOF segment, did you try using focus peaking there or was it plain user error/unfamiliarity with a camera?

2-As someone that's probably shot a lot of the latest cameras, where would you rate the K-3's video vs the main competitors like the 70D, D7100, GH3, and Sony NEX, et. al?

Thanks again!
Thanks for checking out the video!

1- The OOF shot was just a screwup on my part. I focused the shot, didn't love the frame and switched lenses. Then forgot to recheck focus. Dopey Mistake, but once we're rolling I just focus on getting usable audio. No excuse, but certainly not the cameras fault.

2- I'd put the K-3 above the Sony NEX and Nikon D7100, but the 70D has a great high bitrate with wonderful continuous autofocus, and the GH3 is still the best small camera option out there. I love the image from the Blackmagic Pocket Camera, but it can't shoot stills, and the audio control is abysmal.

I hope this helps, again thanks for watching!
11-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
shiner's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N GA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,325
Very well-presented review! Will share.

11-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 125
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Thanks for checking out the video!

1- The OOF shot was just a screwup on my part. I focused the shot, didn't love the frame and switched lenses. Then forgot to recheck focus. Dopey Mistake, but once we're rolling I just focus on getting usable audio. No excuse, but certainly not the cameras fault.

2- I'd put the K-3 above the Sony NEX and Nikon D7100, but the 70D has a great high bitrate with wonderful continuous autofocus, and the GH3 is still the best small camera option out there. I love the image from the Blackmagic Pocket Camera, but it can't shoot stills, and the audio control is abysmal.

I hope this helps, again thanks for watching!
Yes, a nicely presented video.

As they say - audio can make or maul your footage.

What did you do the bulk of shooting with, If I may ask?

And, what is the K-3's approximate bitrate?

thanks

AB
11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter
shiner's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N GA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,325
In the stills of the deer, what might have caused the purple cast near the front legs- lens flair, processing?
11-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 417
A review of Jordans review

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
In the stills of the deer, what might have caused the purple cast near the front legs- lens flair, processing?
I was wondering about it too. But the images of the wine bottle didnt exhibit this effect. Maybe Jordan can explain?

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Very well-presented review! Will share.
Very high quality presentation. I always love Chris' reviews and Jordan's craftsmanship. Very engaging indeed! Also since Jordan posted on PF his video review has been seen a whopping 11K times.

Also Chris's comments about high ISO performance were interesting. Maybe its not as bad as we thought it was.

If K3 AF is better than K5iis then it definitely is a big deal. In skilled hands the AF performance may rival Sony Nikon and Canon's comparable offerings easily.
Maybe the Mitsubishi millbeaut processor's newer version will prompt Pentax to release a firmware patch to address the high ISO noise issue?

Last edited by danny09; 11-07-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: mixed up names
11-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,254
Danny, I think you have the guys mixed up. Chris was presenting and Jordan was behind the camera in the K-3 video.

Jack

11-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 917
Great review.
this is my favorite "sitting in the couch & watching reviews" channel...
Keep it up!
11-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #25
Pentaxian
dcBear78's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gladstone, QLD
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 819
I thought this to be a really good, informative and balanced review. Really did show the good and bad (which isn't that bad). It reaffirmed my thoughts on picking the K-3 up.

Interestingly I watched the Sony A7/A7R review. I while he shows the obvious benefits of it the down side really convinced me not to consider it.

He really did seem to have more affection for the Pentax.
11-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 691
Because he is honest. I have tried D7000 and 7D extensively. The k5 beat them easily in stills.
11-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #27
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 34
Excellent video! Thanks so much!
11-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
I enjoyed the video a lot, thanks for putting it up. If I lived in Canada I'd be shopping at The Camera Store just to show my support of what you guys do online.
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Senior Member
civano's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I enjoyed the video a lot, thanks for putting it up. If I lived in Canada I'd be shopping at The Camera Store just to show my support of what you guys do online.
Agreed! What a quality video and review. I think it by far was my favorite review I've watched on camera equipment.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, field, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, test
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blind test: K-3 vs K-5 IIs Adam Pentax K-3 216 02-28-2015 10:39 AM
MX-1 Field Test Video TCSJordan Pentax Compact Cameras 21 04-07-2013 11:06 AM
Nature Field test of SMC-M 400/3 with ducks and swans bobik314 Post Your Photos! 5 08-31-2012 05:40 AM
Hands-On K-30 Field Test Video TCSJordan Pentax K-30 & K-50 23 07-30-2012 07:30 AM
K-30 Questions For TCSTV TCSJordan Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 07-13-2012 09:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top