Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arsn.r3d Quote
Awww man...now I wanna buy one.
Seriously. Ricoh should hire that guy.

11-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great stuff as usual, guys. And we'll forgive you the OOF segment, Jordan, since you are otherwise spot on. A couple questions about the K-3's video capabilities:

1-That OOF segment, did you try using focus peaking there or was it plain user error/unfamiliarity with a camera?

2-As someone that's probably shot a lot of the latest cameras, where would you rate the K-3's video vs the main competitors like the 70D, D7100, GH3, and Sony NEX, et. al?

Thanks again!
11-06-2013, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Great stuff as usual, guys. And we'll forgive you the OOF segment, Jordan, since you are otherwise spot on. A couple questions about the K-3's video capabilities:

1-That OOF segment, did you try using focus peaking there or was it plain user error/unfamiliarity with a camera?

2-As someone that's probably shot a lot of the latest cameras, where would you rate the K-3's video vs the main competitors like the 70D, D7100, GH3, and Sony NEX, et. al?

Thanks again!
Thanks for checking out the video!

1- The OOF shot was just a screwup on my part. I focused the shot, didn't love the frame and switched lenses. Then forgot to recheck focus. Dopey Mistake, but once we're rolling I just focus on getting usable audio. No excuse, but certainly not the cameras fault.

2- I'd put the K-3 above the Sony NEX and Nikon D7100, but the 70D has a great high bitrate with wonderful continuous autofocus, and the GH3 is still the best small camera option out there. I love the image from the Blackmagic Pocket Camera, but it can't shoot stills, and the audio control is abysmal.

I hope this helps, again thanks for watching!
11-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Very well-presented review! Will share.

11-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Thanks for checking out the video!

1- The OOF shot was just a screwup on my part. I focused the shot, didn't love the frame and switched lenses. Then forgot to recheck focus. Dopey Mistake, but once we're rolling I just focus on getting usable audio. No excuse, but certainly not the cameras fault.

2- I'd put the K-3 above the Sony NEX and Nikon D7100, but the 70D has a great high bitrate with wonderful continuous autofocus, and the GH3 is still the best small camera option out there. I love the image from the Blackmagic Pocket Camera, but it can't shoot stills, and the audio control is abysmal.

I hope this helps, again thanks for watching!
Yes, a nicely presented video.

As they say - audio can make or maul your footage.

What did you do the bulk of shooting with, If I may ask?

And, what is the K-3's approximate bitrate?

thanks

AB
11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

In the stills of the deer, what might have caused the purple cast near the front legs- lens flair, processing?
11-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A review of Jordans review

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
In the stills of the deer, what might have caused the purple cast near the front legs- lens flair, processing?
I was wondering about it too. But the images of the wine bottle didnt exhibit this effect. Maybe Jordan can explain?

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Very well-presented review! Will share.
Very high quality presentation. I always love Chris' reviews and Jordan's craftsmanship. Very engaging indeed! Also since Jordan posted on PF his video review has been seen a whopping 11K times.

Also Chris's comments about high ISO performance were interesting. Maybe its not as bad as we thought it was.

If K3 AF is better than K5iis then it definitely is a big deal. In skilled hands the AF performance may rival Sony Nikon and Canon's comparable offerings easily.
Maybe the Mitsubishi millbeaut processor's newer version will prompt Pentax to release a firmware patch to address the high ISO noise issue?

Last edited by danny09; 11-07-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: mixed up names
11-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Danny, I think you have the guys mixed up. Chris was presenting and Jordan was behind the camera in the K-3 video.

Jack
11-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Great review.
this is my favorite "sitting in the couch & watching reviews" channel...
Keep it up!
11-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I thought this to be a really good, informative and balanced review. Really did show the good and bad (which isn't that bad). It reaffirmed my thoughts on picking the K-3 up.

Interestingly I watched the Sony A7/A7R review. I while he shows the obvious benefits of it the down side really convinced me not to consider it.

He really did seem to have more affection for the Pentax.
11-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Because he is honest. I have tried D7000 and 7D extensively. The k5 beat them easily in stills.
11-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #27

Excellent video! Thanks so much!
11-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I enjoyed the video a lot, thanks for putting it up. If I lived in Canada I'd be shopping at The Camera Store just to show my support of what you guys do online.
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I enjoyed the video a lot, thanks for putting it up. If I lived in Canada I'd be shopping at The Camera Store just to show my support of what you guys do online.
Agreed! What a quality video and review. I think it by far was my favorite review I've watched on camera equipment.