Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any news on the K-3 and AF-C with face detection for video?

The subject really says it, but this will help sell the missus. Any news?

11-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
The subject really says it, but this will help sell the missus. Any news?
AF during recording doesn't have face detection. It's a really slow on-demand AF (it makes very small adjustments).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AF during recording doesn't have face detection.
So while Face Detection is the default focus mode when using Live View [p-46 of the manual], Face Detection is not available during movie shooting. Interesting omission.

I would have thought it was logical for what was happening in Live View to be available in movie mode.
11-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So while Face Detection is the default focus mode when using Live View [p-46 of the manual], Face Detection is not available during movie shooting. Interesting omission.

I would have thought it was logical for what was happening in Live View to be available in movie mode.
It may have something to do with the the chips processing power. While shooting the movie the processor has to work a lot more than simply showing it on liveview mode. I'm just guessing but it could be that it doesn't have power to do face tracking and record video at the same time.

11-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rashedul Quote
I'm just guessing but it could be that it doesn't have power to do face tracking and record video at the same time.
But the K-3 seems snappy with everything else. I think even my RX100 does face detection in video.
11-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But the K-3 seems snappy with everything else. I think even my RX100 does face detection in video.
The slow on-demand video AF suggests that a simple firmware upgrade may not address this, but I guess we can hope.
11-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
AF during recording doesn't have face detection. It's a really slow on-demand AF (it makes very small adjustments).
Does it have any form of AF-C during video recording?

11-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Does it have any form of AF-C during video recording?
Not unless you hold down the AF button the whole time.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #9

It's not too bad if it is so.
11-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dare say that could be fixed with a firmware update, to give us the choice of constant or on-demand.
11-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
It's not too bad if it is so.
If you've ever used a K-30 or a K-50, the AF works in the same manner during recording. Nothing's really new in the K-3 in that respect (though there are plenty of other new goodies that our in-depth review will cover).

Adam

11-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #12

If you've ever used a K-30 or a K-50, the AF works in the same manner during recording. Nothing's really new in the K-3 in that respect (though there are plenty of other new goodies that our in-depth review will cover).
At first, I was using a K-5, then I got a K-5 IIs but they both don't have such an option as far as I know. (I sold my K-5 IIs recently in a hope that a K-3 will be better in AF.C mode. Could you give us a little clue on this issue, Adam? )
11-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
At first, I was using a K-5, then I got a K-5 IIs but they both don't have such an option as far as I know. (I sold my K-5 IIs recently in a hope that a K-3 will be better in AF.C mode. Could you give us a little clue on this issue, Adam? )
Right, the K-5 II didn't have any sort of AF. I can post a video showing you how the AF works, but it's rather rudimentary.

Adam

11-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Held the AF button, it focuses the camera. In video mode it's been tuned to not be as abrupt at changing focus, more like a camcorder.

Really though I don't use AF during shooting for the video I'm shooting on an SLR. I'd buy a camcorder instead
11-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #15

Right, the K-5 II didn't have any sort of AF. I can post a video showing you how the AF works, but it's rather rudimentary.
I guess, I expressed myself not correctly. I wanted to know how the K-3's PDAF in AF.C mode (through the viewfinder) works in comparison to the K-5 IIs' PDAF.