Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is not right in my K5. I didn't even check it in my K5-IIs. I got along fine without it for over 40 years. I tend to tilt my camera so it is a habit to check level before I push the button. The Silkypix software can correct it if I need it corrected. This is not a game changer for me. Then then again I still think my Spotmatic II is the best camera I own. After that my two Ricoh XRM's were real workhorses.

11-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
It is not right in my K5. I didn't even check it in my K5-IIs. I got along fine without it for over 40 years. I tend to tilt my camera so it is a habit to check level before I push the button. The Silkypix software can correct it if I need it corrected. This is not a game changer for me. Then then again I still think my Spotmatic II is the best camera I own. After that my two Ricoh XRM's were real workhorses.
If the level is not right, but you don't use horizon correction (and never check the level otherwise), does it have any consequence? (I didn't quite follow the astrotracing stuff above -- was that yes or no?) Back in the K10D, my camera was taking crooked pictures that were straight in the viewfinder, so then it was real problem...
11-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Have you done a RESET procedure on the camera? I would try this first before sending it in. And make sure it is on a level surface when resetting just in case that is part of the levelling calibration procedure.

Jack
11-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Do somebody have pentax that horizon level is exactly correct? Just wonder after reading this thread...

11-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Do somebody have pentax that horizon level is exactly correct? Just wonder after reading this thread...
My K-30 seems to be spot on. If there is any variation it is too small to show up on the level display. Haven't tried the horizon correction though, could be that changes too small to show on the level display would still be visible on a full size picture.

IMHO the OP's camera is defective - that amount of error is way beyond a calibration issue and is more like something either incorrectly assembled or possibly come loose. If it had a way to calibrate it I very much doubt it would have enough range of calibration to correct for that.

Someone mentioned Astrotracer, that sort of error will make Astrotracer almost useless.
11-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
I would, Canon and Nikon's horizon correction system works far better. than Pentax's

though the Problem is that Canon nor Nikon have Weather sealing that Pentax has, so that's another reason I said I was going to hold off, and see how these things are handled in firmware
11-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #22

My K5 is spot on in both planes.
11-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
After seeing this thread I decided to check my K-30 which I had assumed was correct. Turns out it is. I checked it 2 ways. First I put it on my tripod, got the bubble levels level and checked and it was spot on. Not trusting the tripod, I took it downstairs to my pool table which a table mechanic spent over an hour getting level, if my table wasn't level I'd know it in short order. I just placed the camera in the middle of the table and checked the level, it was right. I then rotated it 180 degrees and checked it again as suggested above, it still appeared dead level.
Long and short it is spot on!

11-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

My K-30 is dead on. Horizon correction works perfectly.
11-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
Not trusting the tripod, I took it downstairs to my pool table which a table mechanic spent over an hour getting level, if my table wasn't level I'd know it in short order. I just placed the camera in the middle of the table and checked the level, it was right. I then rotated it 180 degrees and checked it again as suggested above, it still appeared dead level.
I need to get myself over to the pool hall... for, um, camera calibration. Yeah, that's it!

Hooray! My K-3 is dead on according to the variety of leveling devices I have around here. Never used horizon correction before, or even the level in the viewfinder, because my first K-5 was so far out of whack it was pointless.
11-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would never use it for landscapes ect, I would like it to be accurate for the astrotracer which I do have for wide milky way/starscape shots.
11-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Have you done a RESET procedure on the camera? I would try this first before sending it in. And make sure it is on a level surface when resetting just in case that is part of the levelling calibration procedure.

Jack
No I haven't. How would I go about that.
**Edit did a reset of the Custom settings menu (C icon) as well as a reset in the menu with the wrench icon.**

Also I'll take a picture of the k3 with my k5IIs and a bubble level if I can find one in the garage after I'm off work.

Pentax Canada recommended a exchange at point of sale as it would take 4-8 weeks to service it.

Last edited by Dr_who; 11-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.
11-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha no not till I noticed the level was wonky, then I took a bunch to test it out and see what effect it had lol. And honestly I don't use the level for regular images, rather save the battery power, where I would use it is with the astro-tracer.
11-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter

My K-3 level is spot on.

Jack
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
My K-3 level is spot on.

Jack
Thanks Jack, I'll be happy to trade, just pm me so I can give you my mailing address :P

Here are a couple more images. I wasn't able to find a bubble level so you'll just have to take my K5IIs word for it. The second image will really show that it's off by a lot and not just a matter of placing it on a level ledge.

and