Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
horizontal correction calibration?

So far enjoying the K3 and the quality of the images are pretty nice. Unfortunately I might have to see if the store I got it from has another copy as I've found one feature that's off. The internal level monitor for the horizontal plane is off by a bit. While I don't use it all that often I can see it coming in handy at times. If I turn on horizontal correction and take a picture with the camera even it rotates it the amount that it's off by.

If the store doesn't have another copy I'll have to figure out what I'll do. Other than horizon correction does the internal level affect anything else? Can the O-GPS somehow calibrate the level? I have a feeling it can't thou.

11-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Unfortunately I might have to see if the store I got it from has another copy as I've found one feature that's off. The internal level monitor for the horizontal plane is off by a bit. While I don't use it all that often I can see it coming in handy at times. If I turn on horizontal correction and take a picture with the camera even it rotates it the amount that it's off by..
It's extremely disappointing to read this. This was a problem with some of the original K-5s - if you search the forum you'll find lots of people reporting it. I thought they'd fixed it with the K-5 Mk II.

Worth a quick check - put it on any surface and check that however off it indicates, it's off by the same amount in the other direction if you rotate the camera through 180 degrees.

But what you describe is exactly what people were reporting with the K-5.

Completely inexcusable not to fix this - or at least to provide a calibration option in the menu.
11-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
or at least to provide a calibration option in the menu.
Agree. Should be correctable in-camera, just like AF adjustment.
11-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #4

Hi

That issue, I should say the origin of the issue lasts from the K-7.
Even if it didn't have the capability to rotate the sensor, it had horizontal and vertical levels, which are not calibrated correctly on mine (nearly 1degree off). My K-5 in fine though.
Well, the controller is different and the sensor might as well, but it shows they still have an issue on calibration or on alignment in mounting the prime card inside the camera. QC...
I remember several threads on that issue, and yes, a calibration tool should be provided.

11-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Other than horizon correction does the internal level affect anything else? Can the O-GPS somehow calibrate the level?
O-GPS can not calibrate it. And if you use the astro tracking feature the information from the sensors are used for the camera to know where you are aiming, and if they are off... It won't help the accuracy one bit.
11-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
It's extremely disappointing to read this. This was a problem with some of the original K-5s - if you search the forum you'll find lots of people reporting it. I thought they'd fixed it with the K-5 Mk II.

Worth a quick check - put it on any surface and check that however off it indicates, it's off by the same amount in the other direction if you rotate the camera through 180 degrees.

But what you describe is exactly what people were reporting with the K-5.

Completely inexcusable not to fix this - or at least to provide a calibration option in the menu.
Sorry if I misunderstood the question but here goes.

On the horizontal level display there are single ticks above and below the "level" tick.

When the camera is on a level surface the level line is touching the left bottom tick and going up to the right tick above the level.
When the camera is upside down the level line is touching the left tick above the level line and going down to the bottom right tick.

So when it's upside down it in fact thinks the horizon is going the opposite direct then when it's upside up, but by the same amount of degrees.
11-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Even the earliest Oly digital PENs I think had user adjustment to the electronic level.
11-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So when it's upside down it in fact thinks the horizon is going the opposite direct then when it's upside up, but by the same amount of degrees.
I didn't mean upside down, I meant the right way up, but rotated 180.

If the surface it's on is itself horizontal, the level should indicate level, both ways round if it's correctly adjusted.

If the surface is not horizontal, if the level is adjusted right it should indicate the same amount off one way as it indicates the other way when it's rotated.

If the level is not adjusted right, it will indicate off, on a horizontal surface.

And off by different amounts each way when rotated 180 if the surface is not horizontal.

11-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
+1

I have this problem with k5
11-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is the camera on a level surface. I've tried a few different surfaces and it's always wants the right side (when viewed from the back) to be lifted up a bit to be "level". Tried rotating it horizontally and it remains the same.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-I747M  Photo 
11-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is the camera on a level surface. I've tried a few different surfaces and it's always wants the right side (when viewed from the back) to be lifted up a bit to be "level". Tried rotating it horizontally and it remains the same.
That's truly shocking. Much worse than my K-5, even now.

Send it back.
11-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Forum Member

I really hope this is a small glitch in a small number of units or Cameras otherwise i might go to Nikon or Canon
But i'll wait it out a little and see what happens and see how many have this problem
11-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Are you using a level to be sure that the surface is level?
11-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That's really off if that is really a level surface (take a pic with an analog bubble level sitting in front of it) -- my K-5 and K-7 have been just a teensy bit off (and I had the K-5 calibrated when I sent it in for another issue) but that is totally unacceptable. Seems like one of those things that would be so easy to put in a user menu for -- is it actually a hardware adjustment? My K10D also used to be crooked (and also had to be fixed at the shop) -- that one doesn't have a visible electronic level but it might have a correct horizon feature, can't remember. But was a common issue even on that model.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 11-06-2013 at 11:26 AM.
11-06-2013, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
I really hope this is a small glitch in a small number of units or Cameras otherwise i might go to Canon or Nikon
I would, Canon and Nikon's horizon correction system works far better. than Pentax's