Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And most appropriately:

11-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At least the kids are showing some interest.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
I'd be tempted to, but I've learnt my lesson. When I taped off the "HOYA corporation" line on the bottom of my K-5, within mere minutes the flock of ecstatically screaming young women outside my house had got so large their presence interfered with traffic to an extent that could be felt on the other side of the city. I got a hefty fine from the police for "inciting a riot". Shortly after, it turned out that at least half the items of clothing they dropped all over the street were made of synthetic fibers, which led to another hefty fine by the fire department. Apparently I should count myself lucky "the whole block didn't go up in flames". If it weren't for the fact I'm still making payments on those fines, I'd be holding a K-3 in my hands right now.
11-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
I'd be tempted to, but I've learnt my lesson. When I taped off the "HOYA corporation" line on the bottom of my K-5, within mere minutes the flock of ecstatically screaming young women outside my house had got so large their presence interfered with traffic to an extent that could be felt on the other side of the city. I got a hefty fine from the police for "inciting a riot". Shortly after, it turned out that at least half the items of clothing they dropped all over the street were made of synthetic fibers, which led to another hefty fine by the fire department. Apparently I should count myself lucky "the whole block didn't go up in flames". If it weren't for the fact I'm still making payments on those fines, I'd be holding a K-3 in my hands right now.
And you didn't get any pics of the people who dropped the clothing, for later identification perhaps...

11-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #65

I tried to, but I had the AF set to C and the AF point selection to "all 11" rather than just the center one, so all pics just show blurry people on a sharp street.
11-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #66
dbh
Inactive Account

I loved my SRT101 and later my X-700 even more. Still do. Also have a gorgeous 50mm f1.4, 28mm f2.8, and 250mm f5.6 mirror languishing in my Minolta camera bag under thick layer of dust.
When Minolta went autofocus they left me behind. When digital came along, I went with Pentax and wished I had done so back in the '70s when I discovered photography in high school.
Sony didn't wreck Minolta - they had shut the door on legacy glass before they switched hands. Ricoh ain't wrecking Pentax, they're saving it.
IMNSFHO, of course.
11-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #67

Ricoh K-mount in the 70s

Am I the only one who remembers this camera?
Classic Cameras & Photography: Ricoh XR-1 (Specifications)
A Ricoh SLR with a Pentax K-mount in 1975. Even if they did start putting Ricoh on the front of the camera, it wouldn't be anything new and they'd be totally within their rights as long-time camera manufacturers. The fact they're keeping Pentax on there at all says a lot about the respect they must have for the brand.
11-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #68
Pentaxian

I think it's critically important that the name on the front and back of the camera match.

11-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Personally I would like Pentax to be on the back of the camera but the wording Ricoh does not bother me too much. With my K-7 and K-30, once I apply the glass type GGS screen protector, the original wording on the body is not visible anyway....so I would want to wait for GGS to release a Pentax K-3 specific screen...then I will apply that to my K-3.
11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I've never felt the need to mask over any of the various other names that have appeared on the equipment over the years and I see no reason to start now.
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I've never felt the need to mask over any of the various other names that have appeared on the equipment over the years and I see no reason to start now.
Whereas I mask off all the white markings on all my cameras and go matt black front and back and have done so for years. A habit I will continue...
11-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I think this is just a start of a gradual move to replace the Pentax name with Ricoh.
Its done for household products as well.
The old name shares space with the new name, then it gets smaller, then it disappears.

Hopefully not of course.
11-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I don't care about what everyone else thinks of my camera brand. If I did, I'd have a Canon or a Nikon I guess, and if horror of horrors I owned an uncool Pentax, the only person likely to see the small "RICOH" on the back is me. When you point the camera at someone, it says (in a much larger and bolder font) PENTAX.
Back when my MX was stolen and found out they were no longer made I bought a Nikon FM2. Though it was a nice camera and it basically functioned the same way an MX functioned, I really didn't like it as much as my MX. It's hard for me to put into words what made the MX a better camera to me, though it had something to do with way it handled. How I was able to instinctively adjust controls and focus the lens. How balanced it was. The FM2 seemed clunky and less intuitive. It just wasn't the same. I said that already didn't I?

I do care about the brand. That why I own a Pentax. As far as Pentax cameras being made by Ricoh. That's OK. As long as Ricoh doesn't forget about what makes a Pentax camera a Pentax. To me I feel that you get a whole more camera for your money with a Pentax. It's funny how when I visit the sight seeing spots in Chicago and many have Nikons or Canons and I get strange looks because I have a Pentax. I think they think I'm weird or odd because I have the 3rd brand and for some reason I'm not as cool as them. Little do they really know I gave a Camera that's as good or getter than a 3 or 4 thousand dollar Nikon and I only paid 1/3 or 1/4 the price. OK I'll stop rambling.
11-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Shouldn't that read "Pentax as anything but a brand name didn't exist till in 2002....?

It certainly existed as a product line name by the look of my old cameras and lenses.

Am I concerned that the new cameras have Ricoh on the back? Not at all.
Nope
Pentax existed only as a brand of Asahi Optical Co., Ltd from 1957-2002
2002-2011 Pentax was a manafacturers name
2011 - Pentax exists as a brand name of Ricoh Imaging Ltd
11-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Actually after 2008 until 1st October, 2011 the manufacturer's name was Hoya Corporation. It was just on the bottom's plate label, though...