Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
I don't have a k3 yet but the box and the new hd coating lenses have a big ricoh then a small pentax logo. Makes me uncomfortable. I know it doens't affect the performance. I am sure konica minolta fan didn't the sony logo back then.

don't know should this thread in pentax k3 section or accessory section.
Silly. And how on earth do you think one could look at a Pentax(Hoya) colonoscope and a Pentax(Ricoh) K3 and know these aren't fabricated by the same company? Surely Ricoh wants to make sure everyone is well aware that you shouldn't stuff your camera up your a## ! That's a good enough reason for me 😅

11-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Silly. And how on earth do you think one could look at a Pentax(Hoya) colonoscope and a Pentax(Ricoh) K3 and know these aren't fabricated by the same company? Surely Ricoh wants to make sure everyone is well aware that you shouldn't stuff your camera up your a## ! That's a good enough reason for me 😅
A K-3 up the tailpipe would certainly make me uncomfortable, but I don't think the name Ricoh would make any difference!!!
01-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tzeentchiangod Quote
If Ricoh is the reason our Pentax gear keeps getting better, I have no problems seeing their logo on my gear.
I could not agree more. I will likely be upgrading my K10D later this year to a K3 and seeing Ricoh on the back of the camera doesn't bother me one bit. I have a newer K5 and it has Ricoh on the bottom of the camera which I was glad to see instead of Hoya.
01-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some people want to repaint it Hocir or Choir.

01-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
I don't have a k3 yet but the box and the new hd coating lenses have a big ricoh then a small pentax logo. Makes me uncomfortable. I know it doens't affect the performance. I am sure konica minolta fan didn't the sony logo back then.

don't know should this thread in pentax k3 section or accessory section.
When pictures of the K-3 first started appearing on the Internet, I was one of those who was not too happy with the presence of the RICOH label. But considering all the good work they had invested into the design of this camera, in all fairness, I felt RICOH deserved to have their name there.

Now having put the camera to real world use, I have found the K-3 to be a STUNNING photographic tool - so much so that thoughts of the RICOH brandname do not even enter my mind.

Indeed the sheer level of performance offered, and the pleasure of using the K-3 make the whole issue of the RICOH label largely irrelevant.
01-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

We must not overlook the possibility that the PENTAX name can be sold to someone else. I would not know who to just at the moment though. But it has a value and my guess is RICOH would know this. In the past a number of brand names changed hands and some for a considerable amount of money.

Greetings
01-23-2014, 03:11 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
We must not overlook the possibility that the PENTAX name can be sold to someone else. I would not know who to just at the moment though.
We can safely ignore this scenario. Pentax is not a mere name - but tradition, experience, people, K-mount, facilities, network... all of it essential to Ricoh Imaging.

01-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We can safely ignore this scenario. Pentax is not a mere name - but tradition, experience, people, K-mount, facilities, network... all of it essential to Ricoh Imaging.
And that's the reason I think why RICOH will think twice to lower the PENTAX name into the grave.
They may even be as proud of the name as we are. Who knows.

Greetings
01-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We must not overlook the possibility that the PENTAX name can be sold to someone else.
...and that the Pentax name is currently held by Hoya for non-photographic optical products.

Steve
01-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Some people want to repaint it Hocir or Choir.
Sorry about the cross-post, but I still think the custom alternative has legs:

01-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and that the Pentax name is currently held by Hoya for non-photographic optical products.
I thought about this too, perhaps Hoya would be interested to acquire full usage of the name ?

On the other hand RICOH might want to get away from the PENTAX name so their cameras are not going to be mistaken for an Endoscope

Greetings
01-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought about this too, perhaps Hoya would be interested to acquire full usage of the name ?

On the other hand RICOH might want to get away from the PENTAX name so their cameras are not going to be mistaken for an Endoscope

Greetings
Olympus it seems would be more interested in that change, given their 70% market share in endoscopy devices.
01-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To help prevent confusion and the possibility of getting your K-3 stuck in the wrong place, the back should be printed with Place Face Here.
01-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
To help prevent confusion and the possibility of getting your K-3 stuck in the wrong place, the back should be printed with Place Face Here.
Too many folks already have their heads stuck where the endoscope goes, so that kind of label would just prevent "recto-selfies."
01-24-2014, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

I think the fight over recto-selfie dominance is mostly between Ricoh and Canon, and over their photocopiers, so to speak.