Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

K3: Lens Correction and Noise Reduction: On or Off?

I realize people's experience with the K3 is limited and evolving, but I am also hoping to tap into knowledge of Pentax's other recent dSLRs. Do you turn on the default Lens Correction (Distortion, Lateral Chromatic, Peripheral Illumination Correction) and Noise reduction? I will mostly be shooting still subjects at low ISO. I shoot RAW+JPG; I often use the OOC JPG but like to have a RAW file in case I need to post-process the image significantly, in which case I do use the RAW file. I use Lightroom and very rarely Photoshop for filing and post-processing. For the next few days I will be using the DA 35 mm f2.8 Macro Limited (which I suspect does not need much correction) with the K3 but need advice regarding other lenses for the future.

BTW some past posts suggested that noise reduction is actually applied to the RAW image in the K5 II?! Is this true? I thought the RAW images are generally just a reflection of the sensor data.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

11-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These adjustments only affect JPEG shooting. These corrections are not saved in the RAW file (except perhaps if you use the Pentax RAW utility that came on the CD with the camera).

For JPEG it's up to you if you'd rather have the camera do the corrections for you or do them yourself in Photoshop/Lightroom/Aperture after the fact.

I think that Lightroom/Photoshop tends to do a better job at NR than the camera does (though I've not used a K-3 of course). And for lens corrections, that's a quck enough fix in post that I see it as hardly worth it. On earlier cameras, that correction took quite some time to apply. But I suppose if I had a K-3 where these corrections are supposedly instant, I'd probably leave it on. What can it hurt?
11-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not use in-camera lens correction. If needed I correct the image in Adobe Camera Raw (which recognizes the lenses and performs the correction accordingly).

Of the lenses I use it is just the 18-135 that I find need correction occasionally. I also occasionally "de-fish" the DA 10-17 in post processing.

I almost always have noise reduction set to the default setting. At very high ISO I shoot RAW+ because the K-5IIs noise reduction is excellent and hard to match when postprocessing from RAW.

The K-5 IIs doesn't apply NR to RAW images as far as I can tell. But the NR settings are embedded into the EXIF information and some postprocessing software will apply NR based on these settings.
11-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one thing I think affects the RAW file is Dynamic Range expansion as that affects the ISO and the relative amplification of individual pixels to either boost shadows or tame highlights.

11-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
But I suppose if I had a K-3 where these corrections are supposedly instant, I'd probably leave it on. What can it hurt?
Distortion correction can crop the shot ever so slightly so what you saw in the viewfinder is not exactly what you'll get.
Lat. chroma correction can sometimes introduce a slight softness along the edges. Most often it doesn't though. YMMV as the say.

That said, I often use the lens corrections.
I use the distortion correction when shooting wide angle zooms indoors. Some zooms have lots of barrel distortion at the wide end and it really shows when there are straight lines along the image edges.

I use the lat. chroma correction when shooting small apertures where I want edge sharpness (landscape-type shots or indoor flash work with stopped down zoom lenses). Lateral chroma aberrations appear along the edges of the frame but they don't show up with the edges out of focus.

Regards,
--Anders.

Last edited by asp1880; 11-08-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: What lens corrections are good for.