Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #46
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
My findings where different then the test Adam did. No idea if Adam got it wrong, or someone sold me an expensive fast card that just holding a sticker saying it should be fast!
Many fast cards on ebay are re-labeled slower cards so beware. I only get my cards from B&H .
http://community.ebay.com/t5/Computers-Networking-I-T/Beware-of-fake-32gb-mi...2594416/page/7

12-14-2013, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FWIW, my recent experience with write speed.

This evening in the course of a 2 or 3 hour performance gig, I filled up 4 SDHC cards in the K-3, using Continuous shooting High. Stupidly, I shot in RAW+, not RAW only, and consequently the camera ate the cards up like candy. About 800 shots (1600 files), about 35GB.

To my shame, I also didn't plan my card usage very well in advance, but the cards I had at hand were used in the following sequence:

1: Sandisk Extreme Pro 8GB, overflowing to
2. Sandisk Ultra (30MB/s) 16GB.

Then quickly empty cards from camera, replace with:
1. Sandisk Extreme HD video (30MB/s) 8GB, overflowing to
2. Sandisk Ultra 15MB/s 8GB.

It was an interesting experience. As usual the Extreme Pro flew. There was never any delay writing or chimping. But as soon as I hit the 30MB's Ultras and Extremes I started to see real delays in writes, and also regular delays in being able to chimp, but due to the big buffer the frame rate never seemed to slow down. However once I got onto the final card, an old Ultra 15MB/s, I then started to feel the camera choke. Frame rate went to zero several times and I couldn't squeeze off any shots until the card caught up with the camera. Unfortunately, some interesting shots at the end of the show were missed as a result.

Lesson learnt - 95MB/s Extreme Pro's work and I need to get more of them (my other is in the K-5), 30MB/s isn't necessarily a disaster due to the assistance of the big K-3 buffer, but 15MB/s is just too slow for reliable sustained or burst shooting. Even for normal low fps shooting, the chimping delay with the 15MB cards could be annoying.

I [sort-of] knew all this already with the K-5, but the K-3 certainly seems to work the cards harder than the K-5 due to its bigger files, faster processor and faster data bus.
12-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #48

While I have been wondering about this topic for quite some time, I finally can answer the question now as my K3 has arrived.

I have tested three cards, method: lens capped (completely dark), switch to MF (so no focus),continuous shot H (8.3FPS). Shot till buffer full, typically 24 frames, including one or two slowed shot (after the buffer is full). Stop watch timing, counting from the first slow shot (judged but the shutter sound).

typical file size: ~640MB. card reader is a Savio USB3.0 card reader(ST-ER20U3-BK), bussed on a Renesas chip USB3.0 interface (no native USB3.0 on my desktop).

Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC (bought in 2008 or early 2009), card reader test 19MB/s write, 21MB/s read
first image review (since then the camera can be further operated): 19 s
saving indicator (the orange LED) went out: 35s

Sandisk Exreme HD Video (bought in early 2012 or so, labelled as 30MB/sm, Non-UHS), card reader test 20MB/s write, 24MB/s read
first image review: 20s
saving indicator went out: 36s

Sony32GB SDHC UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card (SF32UX/TQN, labelled as 94MB/s read, 45MB/s write), card reader test 40MB/s write, 85MB/s read.
first image review (since then the camera can be further operated): 10s
saving indicator went out: 18s

Conclusion: around 35MB/s max write speed with what I have.

Further thinking:
The performance I got with the Sony card is basically the same as other tests with some other high performance card including the "ultimate" 95MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro. So I would say, if the card can perform 35MB/s in the camera, it would be good enough.
But please note that we are talking about in camera speed here. A card tested to be good enough with card reader may be not as good in camera. Back in the early SDHC age(2008?), there were cards tested as fast as the Sandisk Extreme III but just not performing as well in camera (while all their charted performance should be an overkill for K10D at that time). And I think this is one of the reasons Sandisk Extreme series made their name among DSLR consumers (another one is, of cource, reliability). Similar thing happens here, some of the users above mentioned inferior performance from Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s, versus the Extreme Pro. Some other ones may claim they noticed NO difference between the two cards. I would guess BOTH stories are true, just someone were unlucky to get an Extreme 45MB/s which does not perform as well in (a particular model of) camera.
And for your information, similar results as the Sony one was saw from Transcend UHS card, according to a post in dpreview forum (can not locate it now). The card was not described in detail, just says 45MB/s version. I guessed it meant the top of line model from Transcend, labelled TS32GSDHC10U1, 85/45 MB/s.
Other solid products to be proofed may include but not limited to: toshiba exceria type II (also exceria Type I is an overkill), sandisk extreme 45MB/s (depends on the batch you get???), 80MB/s (SDSDXS-032G-X46, 80MB/s read, 60MB/s write), and of course the ultimate pro (95MB/s write and read, very much overkill for peace of mind).

A last word about the sony card. I got them on sale for $22 each, the big reason I switched away from Sandisk. I was nervous about their performance and quality, especially when they showed some weird behavior with computers at first (say, file transfer errors, can no be benchmarked by softwares). I almost decided to return (or dump, depends on the shipping price) them. Maybe the cards were not formatted well or what, but after a complete full disk write/erase operation (some softwares could do this, and formatting would NOT do this), everything went fine. Now I feel comfortable recommending it to others, with this particular regard in your mind.
12-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Toshiba Exceria Type 2 cards I ordered from oempcworld kept getting shipping delays so I cancelled the order.
I plan to pick up some Sandisk Extreme Pros locally from Frys today.
Seems there is no argument those are quickest.

12-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #50

Sony UHS-1 card problem with K3

There is a problem with the Sony UHS-1 SDHC cards, this has been reported to Ricoh. These cards are not recognized by the K3. Ricoh has said this has been relayed to the engineers in Japan and they hope to have a fix available in the next software upgrade. I have found almost any other UHS-1 card will work fine, I use the Lexar and PNY 32G UHS-1 cards, with no problems. I do remove the cards and read them into Photoshop using a separate reader.
12-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by saddlebumCO Quote
There is a problem with the Sony UHS-1 SDHC cards, this has been reported to Ricoh. These cards are not recognized by the K3. Ricoh has said this has been relayed to the engineers in Japan and they hope to have a fix available in the next software upgrade. I have found almost any other UHS-1 card will work fine, I use the Lexar and PNY 32G UHS-1 cards, with no problems. I do remove the cards and read them into Photoshop using a separate reader.
That's interesting, I did not observe that here. I used them in the camera and put them on card readers to load into computers. So far so good.

Which model do you refer to, and what behavior is it exactly?
12-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saddlebumCO Quote
Weren't there problems with Sony 32gb UHS-1 cards and the K-01 also?
12-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Weren't there problems with Sony 32gb UHS-1 cards and the K-01 also?
I searched and do get the point. But the SF32UY/TQMN (considering 32GB model here), which is labelled 40MB/s, called R40, and on sale VERY often, is different from SF32UX/TQN, which is labelled 94MB/s. The later is the one I talked about in previous posts.

Last edited by neeviour; 12-20-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: model name missing letters
12-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #54

Sony UHS-1 SDHC cards

The Sony card that has the problem is the 16 and 32G cards, SF-XXUY. These same cards will work without a problem in my K5, but not in my K3. When I was talking to Ricoh about this problem, the rep told me he had the same on his personal k-50. He also said they had received several calls on the same problem in the last couple of weeks. According to the rep, Pentax is hoping to have the engineers in Japan have a software fix in the first release. Look on the back of the card, if it is a SF-32UY or SF-16UY you might encounter a problem in a K3. It would be very interesting if someone has one of these cards and it works for them. I use Lexar UHS-1 600X and the new PNY 32G cards, no problems at all. If anyone is using the Transcend 600X cards I would love to hear what experience they are having in the K3.

Oh, an added comment on the PNY, the cards I have are the 32G UHS-1 Elite cards.

Last edited by saddlebumCO; 12-20-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added detail on the PNY card
12-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went with Kingston SDXC Card – Class 10 UHS-I Ultimate 64 GB. I have a similar one (Kingston SDXC Card – Class 10 UHS-I 64 GB) in my Pentax K-01 and being satisfied with it, I opted for an even faster one for K-3. So far everything works and both of these cards are recognized by K-3.
12-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #56

Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 95MB/s Memory Card 64GB SDSDXPA-064G-X46

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS 1 95MB s Memory Card 64GB Sdsdxpa 064G X46 | eBay
12-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by koper Quote
Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 95MB/s Memory Card 64GB SDSDXPA-064G-X46

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS 1 95MB s Memory Card 64GB Sdsdxpa 064G X46 | eBay
I would be scared to buy SD cards from overseas, too many instances of counterfeit.
I prefer to pay a little more and buy them from in country reputable sources. YMMV
12-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I've had problems with these fast Sony cards a 16Gb 94MB/s, fine in camera, a K5 or the K-01 (after upgrade), but when I come to download them in either of my USB3 card readers it freezes after a few (from 2 to 6) images, I have to resort to my trusty (old) Sandisk reader which reads them, albeit, slowly. This one is marked SF-16UX.

Chris
12-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #59
Forum Member

I've got the extreme pro (95 MB/s) and a transcend faster model (80-90 MB/s or something) sd cards.

I see one very clear benefit, worth the 1,5x or 2x the cost. That's the time it takes to unload the card to the computer. It became an issue as I found the joys of K-5 burst mode and started carrying back 4-digit count of raw images, which I couldn't be bothered to review on-camera. I just dump them on the computer, then review & delete most.

That started to take way too long with USB 2 cable, so I got a reader. Still too slow, so I got the fast cards. Too slow, so I got USB 3 card, highly acclaimed Lexar reader, and now I get around 80-90 MB/s transfer speeds. (Receiving disk is SSD so the bottleneck is only the SD card in the setup - I must also add the SanDisk Extreme Pro produces more constant high speed; the transcend while fast too is more in flux with the transfer speeds all over the scale -> I prefer the Extreme Pro)

Last edited by jiimaa; 12-21-2013 at 02:56 PM.
12-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #60
Site Supporter

At the risk of invading (ever so slightly) this thread, I have some questions which I am now double-posting here, relating to SD cards and "readers".
This is where I have posted the original questions: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/224140...ml#post2621272
but it looks like it might have been buried in the several new thread and posts .... so I am asking here.

If someone could reply, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JP