Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fastest SDHC the K-3 can handle

Hi

My first impressions of the K-3 are terrific. I would appreciate knowing the fastest speed the K-3 can write to an SDHC card. I would like to maximize the throughput without buying something faster than I need. Any help appreciated. Thanks

11-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Forum Member

I would be interested to know the speed of reading cards within the camera trough its USB 3.0 interface. I never take my cards outside the camera so that would be important to me.
11-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It supports the UHS-1 protocol, the fastest currently available.

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.
Just curious about the write speed. The UHS-I comes in various write speeds, SanDisc makes one rated at 100MBs but is slower writing. Will the K-3 write to the card at 100 MBS? or is the max internal speed slower. I just do not want to spend extra for a card with faster capability than the K-3 can write.

11-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241594-anyone-worked-out-write-speed-yet.html

Some quick tests.
11-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I just do not want to spend extra for a card with faster capability than the K-3 can write.
I've got some Sandisk Extreme Pro (SDXC UHS-I) cards, and use them when I need snappy write speed doing bursts with the K-5. I've found that there is a real, noticeable difference between the Sandisk Pro's read/write speed in camera, compared to other Sandisks like the Extreme's and Ultras that I also have a few of. To test it out without spending a lot of money, just buy a 8GB card and give it a go. When I get my K-3, I'll be populating it's slots with Extreme Pros, probably 2x8GB.

There are some comparative tests on SD cards in these forums, and on the web.
11-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've got some Sandisk Extreme Pro (SDXC UHS-I) cards, and use them when I need snappy write speed doing bursts with the K-5. I've found that there is a real, noticeable difference between the Sandisk Pro's read/write speed in camera, compared to other Sandisks like the Extreme's and Ultras that I also have a few of. To test it out without spending a lot of money, just buy a 8GB card and give it a go. When I get my K-3, I'll be populating it's slots with Extreme Pros, probably 2x8GB.

There are some comparative tests on SD cards in these forums, and on the web.
Thanks RAWR. I did get one SanDisk Extreme 32 GB 80mbs card with the K3 from B&H and ordered a second from Amazon Warehouse - seems like a good deal $39.65 with free shipping Amazon.com: Buying Choices: SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 80MB/s (SDSDXS-032G-AFFP)
The ExtremePro are rated at 95MBS but cost 50% more - they are also a good deal at Amazon Warehouse Amazon.com: Buying Choices: SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-032G-AFFP

11-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Probably with the huge buffer on the K-3, the Extremes will do well enough for just about every situation, unless you do a lot of high fps + high-ISO (hence bigger files) shooting.
11-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

UHS-1 is a norm, assume the K-3 complies at least to the minimum of that norm and start shooting!
11-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thanks RAWR. I did get one SanDisk Extreme 32 GB 80mbs card with the K3 from B&H and ordered a second from Amazon Warehouse - seems like a good deal $39.65 with free shipping Amazon.com: Buying Choices: SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 80MB/s (SDSDXS-032G-AFFP)
The ExtremePro are rated at 95MBS but cost 50% more - they are also a good deal at Amazon Warehouse Amazon.com: Buying Choices: SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-032G-AFFP
I am using the Sandisk 32gig 85MB/sec and it clears the buffer very fast
12-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Forum Member

I'm stunned that the answer to this question isn't precisely quantifiable (and already quantified) by Pentax and/or professional reviewers.

1) Faster cards cost more.
2) Any money spent on a card that outstrips the camera's ability to write is wasted.
3) Cards that slow the camera down can cause missed shots, and waste part of the camera buyer's hardware investment.

Given those three facts, why isn't the answer something like: The maximum write-speed of a K3 is 80mb/s, therefore any capacity above 80mb/s is unused, and any card slower than that mark is a potential bottleneck. ?
12-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might consider this 64 Gb card...

PNY

It's read speed is supposedly rated at 90Mb/s and I understand its write speed is around 60Mb/s, as reported by others using a USB3 rated reader... Amazon lists them at about $35 each, USA shipping included.

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 12-08-2013 at 07:42 PM.
12-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BretW Quote
I'm stunned that the answer to this question isn't precisely quantifiable (and already quantified) by Pentax and/or professional reviewers.

1) Faster cards cost more.
2) Any money spent on a card that outstrips the camera's ability to write is wasted.
3) Cards that slow the camera down can cause missed shots, and waste part of the camera buyer's hardware investment.

Given those three facts, why isn't the answer something like: The maximum write-speed of a K3 is 80mb/s, therefore any capacity above 80mb/s is unused, and any card slower than that mark is a potential bottleneck. ?
It isn't as simple as that. The SanDisk extreme pro has an algorithm this speeds up the calculations for which sector to allocate, preventing fragmentation. It was faster on my k5 even when the body didn't support uhs1. The stated speeds are burst, and less sophisticated cards degrade when partially full or having been through a number of write delete cycles without a format.
And some just plain fail prematurely.
The body supports a standard which is implemented by the various manufacturers.
Life is never that simple.
12-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I too would love to know if an extreme pro offers an advantage in the K-3 over a extreme 80 Mb/s card.
12-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
Forum Member

I take your point, derekite, but it only goes so far. I understand that the actual write speed is heavily dependant on complex phenomena. And that a single-number summary can be misleading ("Lies, damn lies, and benchmarks", as they used to say). But this is quantifiable in a simple matrix.

If Pentax bodies make better use of a fast card, shouldn't Pentax be crowing about it, just as it does the max FPS? And if Pentax bodies are inferior in this regard, then shouldn't someone else be crowing? And then shouldn't the reviewers be testing cards and bodies head to head, in a systematic way to see who has an edge, and how big the effective difference? Why are lenses tested systematically and often quite quantifiably, while with memory cards we are left to speak anecdotally?

Some things really are simple. Does a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro outperform a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Plus card in a k3 body under several memory intensive shooting scenarios? I'd bet the answer is simple, and if it is mixed, I bet the way in which it is mixed would be useful in prioritizing values and deciding where to spend, and where to cut corners.

And if we did know, it would put pressure on card makers to innovate where it actually makes a difference.