Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Which goes to show that the map is not the territory.

M
True.

The 7D is also a fair bit larger isn't it?

I suspect that APS-C DSLRs in future are going to have to really maximise the size and quality of their OVFs. It's the distinguishing feature of them versus MILCs - its what you're giving up the compact size for so you need to really sell the feature as a benefit.

11-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
The 7D is also a fair bit larger isn't it?
Yes, actually a little more than a "bit." Which is why I've favored my Pentax K-20D for long hikes in the backcountry. Understandably, a lot of those same places feature good birding, so I end up taking the Canon + 100-400mm L lens and a bunch of other good 'uns. Despite its size, the 7D feels great in hand and is very well built. But it is relatively heavy and there are not many small Limited-level primes in EOS land. That's why I'm hopeful the K-3 will perform similarly with my Sigma 100-300mm f4 and a 1.4x TC.

Facts are interesting: I just weighed the 7D + 100-400mm L f4.5-5.6 and the K-3 + Sigma 100-300mm f4 setups. The 7D comes in a few ounces more; in hand they feel the same weight. This is not counting the Sigma 1.4x TC that I'm planning to use at least occasionally.

M

Last edited by Miguel; 11-13-2013 at 10:27 AM.
11-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yes, it was a cheap move to leave one out, but I suppose if they left an HDMI cable out too, that might have been their justification.
The EU has begun to regulate the proliferation of batteriy sizes, cables and chargers. The idea is to standardize these ubiquitous items so that "one size fits all" and then require manufacturers NOT include them as standard accessories. The goal is to "nudge" each consumer to obtain ONE battery per device, and then only ONE charger and ONE cable to swap between all your devices. Green, don'tcha know.

At 500MM people, the EU is the world's largest "Developed Market," so what they require can easily be forced on the entire world.

The State knows better than you what Ricoh should put in your box.
11-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The EU has begun to regulate the proliferation of batteriy sizes, cables and chargers. The idea is to standardize these ubiquitous items so that "one size fits all" and then require manufacturers NOT include them as standard accessories. The goal is to "nudge" each consumer to obtain ONE battery per device, and then only ONE charger and ONE cable to swap between all your devices. Green, don'tcha know.

At 500MM people, the EU is the world's largest "Developed Market," so what they require can easily be forced on the entire world.

The State knows better than you what Ricoh should put in your box.
True, I figured that was possible.
No biggie for me, since there are computer stores everywhere, not so good for Fair Dinkum in the outback.

11-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
True, I figured that was possible.
No biggie for me, since there are computer stores everywhere, not so good for Fair Dinkum in the outback.

The real outcry will come when they stop including a battery.
11-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
I wasn't asking for personal preferences but it has made my day to know what you like, I don't shoot in churches and libraries where total silence is needed nor do I shoot rose bushes where I have time to look for a hexagon, I shoot sports where I would rather work on composing my shot than looking for a hexagon.

So... I am going to take my best guess that you have no idea how to make the K3 constantly beep in AFC mode.
Try the Catch-In focus setting. It'll only release the shutter when the focus is achieved. You don't have to listen to beeps or look for hexagons.
11-13-2013, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Other people in a bird hide, often not themselves photographers, appreciate the reduction in noise too!
QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
I wasn't asking for personal preferences but it has made my day to know what you like, I don't shoot in churches and libraries where total silence is needed nor do I shoot rose bushes where I have time to look for a hexagon, I shoot sports where I would rather work on composing my shot than looking for a hexagon.

So... I am going to take my best guess that you have no idea how to make the K3 constantly beep in AFC mode.
I'm the photography coordinator for a live theater (plays) for the past 4 years. For dress rehearsals, i've often invited 2 or 3 other photographic friends to shoot with me. This one gal has a D7000 and couldn't restrain herself from shooting constantly, 100% of the time, for the 2 hrs of the dress rehearsal. (so i just stopped inviting her) The constant beeping is enough to drive me nutty and i should be used to it. I've had 3 actors complain about the beeping, AF assist beams and the occasional inadvertent flash. Not only actors but the occasional director or stage manager will complain to me. Which bugs me because with my k5, i have all the beeping turned off, the focus assist light turned off, etc. I've even reset folks Olympus and Nikon cameras to eliminate beeping because some of their owners couldn't do it without a manual.

Some people can't even hear their own cell phones go off in their pockets, so i'm not surprised some folks aren't concerned about their cameras. Just try to be aware that our cameras can be very annoying to those around us. After turning off all the beeping, i found out it wasn't really contributing much if anything to my photography - try it sometime.
11-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #38
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept of autofocus tracking.
Does the AF module "lock on" and follow its best guess at what the object is doing to ensure constant focus? If so then the beep would presumably signal this focus acquisition and from then on you can just rattle off the frames as you wish.
If, on the other hand the camera is continually losing its lock and then reacquiring it, even with a beep given out each time, how would you know it still has the lock when it's changing so quickly if you don't also check the hexagon? The beeps could be just informing you of a constant stream of past in-focus events.
Seems to me if you are relying on the AF module to track your subject and want to concentrate on framing/panning/timing etc. enabling the focus priority setting should keep you from getting out of focus shots with the possible tradeoff of missing some shots that were out of focus anyway.

11-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept of autofocus tracking.
Does the AF module "lock on" and follow its best guess at what the object is doing to ensure constant focus? If so then the beep would presumably signal this focus acquisition and from then on you can just rattle off the frames as you wish.
If, on the other hand the camera is continually losing its lock and then reacquiring it, even with a beep given out each time, how would you know it still has the lock when it's changing so quickly if you don't also check the hexagon? The beeps could be just informing you of a constant stream of past in-focus events.
Seems to me if you are relying on the AF module to track your subject and want to concentrate on framing/panning/timing etc. enabling the focus priority setting should keep you from getting out of focus shots with the possible tradeoff of missing some shots that were out of focus anyway.
No, the focus does not track. It continues to re-acquire as the camera is moved or on each frame in burst mode. So if you move the camera around quickly it just won't find focus. I found that if using continuous focus mode, then it won't capture until it finds focus on each frame.