Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set up a fast-shot user mode, that way you'll have all your birding settings ready to roll.

11-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all, and especially LaurenOE.
Disabling the info on the monitor was a breeze. (Should I have found that in the manual somewhere?)
I ordered the new cable just now. (If anyone can contact B&H or Adorama directly tell them this: They should tell or alert their K3 buyers about the absence of the cable "in the box", and offer to sell one at the time the sale is made. I guarantee their sales would go up LOTS.)
I "tether" my camear to my computer on download because I am certain that the fewer times I load and unload the card, the longer it will last, use of extra battery power notwithstanding.
Haven't mastered switching from single to continuous AF yet, but I am happy to have something to try.
Take care all, and thanks again.
Jack
11-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
I found something I don't like on the K3.. when shooting in AFC on my K7 it would beep every time it caught focus, the K3 only beeps the first focus lock and silence after that, with the K7 I heard the beep, with the K3 I have to watch the hexagon while trying to see the subject, maybe I'm overlooking a setting or Pentax could fix this with firmware.
11-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally, the first thing I do when I get a DSLR is mute everything... I cannot bear to hear it beeping all the time. I wished for a quieter shutter, not to have it beep all around :P

I get that a lot of people get the beep, for me looking at the hexagon is like second nature now.

11-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Personally, the first thing I do when I get a DSLR is mute everything... I cannot bear to hear it beeping all the time. I wished for a quieter shutter, not to have it beep all around :P

I get that a lot of people get the beep, for me looking at the hexagon is like second nature now.
+1 so much
11-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #21

I wasn't asking for personal preferences but it has made my day to know what you like, I don't shoot in churches and libraries where total silence is needed nor do I shoot rose bushes where I have time to look for a hexagon, I shoot sports where I would rather work on composing my shot than looking for a hexagon.

So... I am going to take my best guess that you have no idea how to make the K3 constantly beep in AFC mode.

Last edited by alcstudios; 11-12-2013 at 03:09 PM.
11-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
I found something I don't like on the K3.. when shooting in AFC on my K7 it would beep every time it caught focus, the K3 only beeps the first focus lock and silence after that, with the K7 I heard the beep, with the K3 I have to watch the hexagon while trying to see the subject, maybe I'm overlooking a setting or Pentax could fix this with firmware.
Hi
Do you use the shutter button or the AF button for the various AF modes?
I agree that the beep now only occurs wih the first AF aquisition, but I find that I am just re-pressing the AF button if I want a new focus point beep. I'ts a very quick and subtle movement.

11-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #23

I use shutter button A/F, on my K7 I just kept it half pressed and heard the beep when it locked on, maybe the K3 is enough quicker that it don't need no beep it's not really that big of a problem.... maybe I should stop whining and get to shooting more. I did some family portraits last Saturday and covered an mx race on Sunday and my keeper rate went way over what my K7 was doing but I'm still going to cry over that missing beep
11-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I've only had the K-3 for a couple of hours, my comments are barely qualified, but first impressions can be truthful. I'm comparing the basic look and feel with my Canon 7D which is four years old but still a very fine camera. Canon changed their user interface and ergonomics with this model, much for the better.

I have the Tokina 35mm f2.8 macro lens on the 7D and its Pentax cousin on the K-3. I have to admit that the Canon viewfinder is simply brighter and larger and less tunnel-like than the K-3. The on-demand grid lines on the Canon I find more pleasing too. In addition, it seems like Canon is conveying complexity a little better on the menus and the navigation among the menus is easier too. The one button one screen Quick Menu is also easier to read than the Pentax Info screen, probably due to the former's listing far less controls and not the whole shmear like Pentax does.

Of course none of this has anything to do with image quality or the noted size and weight differences or feel in hand, but my respect for the 7D just grew some--even though there are some asinine interface and function issues with the 7D that I've been able to manage.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get shooting with the K-3.

M
11-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Other people in a bird hide, often not themselves photographers, appreciate the reduction in noise too!
11-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
As I've only had the K-3 for a couple of hours, my comments are barely qualified, but first impressions can be truthful. I'm comparing the basic look and feel with my Canon 7D which is four years old but still a very fine camera. Canon changed their user interface and ergonomics with this model, much for the better.

I have the Tokina 35mm f2.8 macro lens on the 7D and its Pentax cousin on the K-3. I have to admit that the Canon viewfinder is simply brighter and larger and less tunnel-like than the K-3. The on-demand grid lines on the Canon I find more pleasing too. In addition, it seems like Canon is conveying complexity a little better on the menus and the navigation among the menus is easier too. The one button one screen Quick Menu is also easier to read than the Pentax Info screen, probably due to the former's listing far less controls and not the whole shmear like Pentax does.

Of course none of this has anything to do with image quality or the noted size and weight differences or feel in hand, but my respect for the 7D just grew some--even though there are some asinine interface and function issues with the 7D that I've been able to manage.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get shooting with the K-3.

M
I've never used a 7D (or indeed a K-3) but their viewfinder specs are identical on paper. So I am surprised you find the 7D noticeably better.
11-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I've never used a 7D (or indeed a K-3) but their viewfinder specs are identical on paper. So I am surprised you find the 7D noticeably better.
The 7D I tried seemed to have an enormous VF. Sadly, this translated to the other parts of the camera as well. Also, the 7D has a 1x mag. VF.
11-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
The 7D I tried seemed to have an enormous VF. Sadly, this translated to the other parts of the camera as well. Also, the 7D has a 1x mag. VF.
1x magnification, but with a 1.6 crop factor vs 1.5 for the k-3.
11-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I've never used a 7D (or indeed a K-3) but their viewfinder specs are identical on paper.
Which goes to show that the map is not the territory.

M
11-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jb09ss Quote
1x magnification, but with a 1.6 crop factor vs 1.5 for the k-3.
Yes, I think this must be what confused me I looked up the review for the 7D on dpreview, and the preview of the K-3, and both were given a 0.63x equivalent I think.