Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Logo

I've owned the K100, K20D, K5, K7, K30 and now the K3 and this is the best of the bunch and I am gonna say, by a mile. I don't know how much R&D Ricoh contributed but I am extremely pleased with this camera body and I am not going to knock it around just because it has Ricoh on the back. I am very happy to have the Ricoh name on this camera.

11-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

+1. Ricoh ain't killin' off Pentax any time soon.
11-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

since we already have people cannibalizing BG-4 grips for K-3, maybe we can have someone figure out how to cannibalize the Pentax logo and change out the RICOH on the LCD screen?
11-08-2013, 12:40 PM - 3 Likes   #4

I am not mad about the ricoh logo one bit. They took a camera (k5ii) that could not compete with nikon or canon in the auto focus department and made the K3 a contender! The new camera is amazing I LOVE mine. It is a completely different machine than all of pentax previous failed attempted at a semi-pro level DSLR. Having the pentax name on the prism is great! Having the ricoh label on the back makes me appreciate the upgrades that pentax COULDNT put in for the last 5 releases. IE 8.3fps, 24mp, AA filter, 27af!!! Comon PENTAXIANS!

11-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think they put the Ricoh logo in the wrong place.
11-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I think they put the Ricoh logo in the wrong place.
They might fix that on the anticipated FF

(Maybe not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make an EVIL with new mount labeled RICOH!)

Cheers
Lars

Edit: Do not think I mind if cameras are labeled RICOH instead of Pentax! After all RIKOH probably also bought Pentax in order to enhance their camara division by using the more known Pentax brand. So of course they put RICOH on their DSLR's.

Last edited by Lars; 11-09-2013 at 07:40 AM.
11-09-2013, 07:16 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish people would get over this hate for the Ricoh name on the Pentax cameras. Time to grow up and accept the fact that Ricoh has the right to place their corporate name where they please as Asahi, Honeywell and others have done so in the past. No one seems to be commenting on the Pentax name is now appearing on all of the top name Ricoh cameras. Let's all grow up and just focus on what the company is producing and that is an much improved and refined line of cameras.

11-09-2013, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As long as it's a good camera with a K-mount, I don't care what name is on the thing. A name is just a group of letters, and that's all.
11-09-2013, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #9

The thing is, WE might not care, because WE know that under every "Ricoh" DSLR there's a Pentax, but on the outside, talk about Ricoh and people will think photocopiers, not cameras — if they think anything of it at all. I even had people be surprised that Pentax was still producing cameras and wasn't just some dead horse of the '80s, now imagine what recognition a camera that had Ricoh on the front would get. Case in point, I had professionals asking me why Pentax wasn't at the Salon de la Photo because they couldn't find a Pentax stand... with the quite visible Ricoh stand only a few meters away.

Now you'll say, yes but that's what Sony did with the rebranding of Konica-Minolta. Alright, but shall we agree that Sony is way, way more ubiquitous and known than Ricoh will ever be, and didn't need to be put on the radar as a brand, in general, when they took over the DSLR line?

Of course Ricoh will want that too at some point, they're the bigger player in regards to Pentax and will obviously want people to know their brand name rather than that of their now defunct acquisition. But I'm just saying we're living in a time of appearance over substance where if you're not in Nikon or Canon camp you can't be taken seriously, even if you offer a valid alternative (don't we know it!), and Ricoh really has to start from scratch building brand recognition for themselves... dropping the name Pentax straight away might be more hurtful than useful, you just can't make it happen overnight.
11-09-2013, 11:13 PM - 2 Likes   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
The thing is, WE might not care, because WE know that under every "Ricoh" DSLR there's a Pentax, but on the outside, talk about Ricoh and people will think photocopiers, not cameras — (snipped).
Photocopiers? Oh, you mean like Canon?
11-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My only gripe with Ricoh "imposing" themselves on things is with the EXIF data...

The camera is apparently "Ricoh IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. Pentax K-3" ... that's just too long of a name! What's wrong with it just being "Pentax K-3" as with all other cameras... geez.
11-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
Photocopiers? Oh, you mean like Canon?
Say Canon to anyone, they will think cameras first, photocopiers second. Now do the same with Ricoh.
11-10-2013, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Ricoh advertises extensively in South Africa... for Ricoh office equipment. Ricoh in South Africa does not sell or support Ricoh photographic equipment (or Pentax cameras, which are imported and supported by independent agents). Ricoh cameras are not imported by anyone. I know - I tried very hard to get hold of a Ricoh GR but ended up buying a Sony RX100 instead.

Ricoh would be making a huge mistake by trying to supplant Pentax as a brand, which they have not stated they will do. But their actions do give the appearance of diluting the Pentax brand. I would not be surprised to find it's corporate ego at work and that Ricoh do eventually want to bury Pentax as a brand. It would be a mistake, but I would not be surprised.

Last edited by Gray; 11-10-2013 at 06:08 AM.
11-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
Banned

Who cares what it says on the nameplate, it's how it performs that matters. IMO, the only people that care about the brand name are camera snobs and thieves! Pentax / Ricoh are far less attractive to thieves than Canon, Nikon or even Sony. Hell, I don't care if it says "Acme" on the front, as long as it has a K-mount and does what I need it to do!
11-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #15

Let's be realistic. The K-3 isn't a Pentax camera with Ricoh stamped on the back. it is a Ricoh camera of Pentax heritage with Pentax stamped on the front. As long as Ricoh continue to make great cameras with a K-mount then, as far as I am concerned, they have the right to put the Pentax brand and the Ricoh logo together. I (and my collection of Pentax K-mount lenses) certainly hope they continue to do so.