Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hold AF Status - C3 Menu #18

The C3 menu #18 is Hold AF Status. Here's what the manual contains:" you can set whether to immediately reactivate AF or to maintain the focus for a certain amount of time before activating AF when the subject happens to move out of the selected focusing area after being focused. The default setting is to immediately activate AF when focusing is unsuccessful." The options are Off (default), Low, Medium, High
What does this mean? I am using AF.C with zone focusing 9 points. I want to have the K-3 do tracking as best as it can. What is the proper setting for tracking is OFF maximum tracking or is High maximum tracking. What I wrote above appears as a footnote on page 43 of the manual.
It seems to me single point focus would eliminate tracking - I noticed another section of the forum dealing with AF where single point focus was used with a discussion on tracking.

11-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey RockvilleBob, this item has me stymied for now. I have tried changing the #18 from Off to High while tracking a repeatable object, using both single point and matrix, and have not found a difference. I will keep trying to reverse engineer what the hell this does. Like you, I need to best focus on critters that don't hold still.
11-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Hey RockvilleBob, this item has me stymied for now. I have tried changing the #18 from Off to High while tracking a repeatable object, using both single point and matrix, and have not found a difference. I will keep trying to reverse engineer what the hell this does. Like you, I need to best focus on critters that don't hold still.
I sent Pentax a note saying Pentax should put together more information about auto focus with the K-3 there are a lot of options and you and I can try them all but when you and all the focus point options you come up with some many permutations you just cannot figure out what is going on.
11-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
The C3 menu #18 is Hold AF Status. Here's what the manual contains:" you can set whether to immediately reactivate AF or to maintain the focus for a certain amount of time before activating AF when the subject happens to move out of the selected focusing area after being focused. The default setting is to immediately activate AF when focusing is unsuccessful." The options are Off (default), Low, Medium, High
What does this mean? I am using AF.C with zone focusing 9 points. I want to have the K-3 do tracking as best as it can. What is the proper setting for tracking is OFF maximum tracking or is High maximum tracking. What I wrote above appears as a footnote on page 43 of the manual.
It seems to me single point focus would eliminate tracking - I noticed another section of the forum dealing with AF where single point focus was used with a discussion on tracking.
This sounds like a setting that you'd only want to change if you wanted to slow down the AF reacquisition in continuous mode, i.e. if your subject predictably moves out of the frame from time to time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This sounds like a setting that you'd only want to change if you wanted to slow down the AF reacquisition in continuous mode, i.e. if your subject predictably moves out of the frame from time to time.
That makes sense Adam - thank you. I guess for a subject that moves quickly and randomly - perhaps a smaller bird - using this would give the shooter time to get the bird back into the focus area before the focus mechanism starts hunting. If you are fairly adapt at keeping your subject within the focus area then you would want this off. Thanks again.
All in all - getting my arms around a good auto focus set up for birds in flight will take some time to figure out. Since auto focus was a major improvement that moved me to buy the K-3 I would appreciate you passing along to Pentax that the K-3 users need some additional insight from Pentax on auto focus set ups. All I know is that it is much better than what I experienced with the K-5.
Since we're Pentax's best source for getting new users they would benefit from helping use get the most out of a really terrific camera with some better documentation and perhaps application notes dealing with auto focus and other areas.
I know if I go out shooting 8fps in raw with good auto focus there will people saying I could really use a camera like that at the K-3 price - probably quite a few people.
11-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've said this before, but Pentax needs to put together some AF usage guides akin to the fancy one Canon has prepared for the 1Dx, and Nikon has done (more modestly) for the D4.

The K-3's AF system seems to share a lot of features with both of those.
11-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #7

I think if you want to have the tracking work as best as it can you would want this off (the default). I've only read the manual as I'm on the fence about buying the camera, but I interpret this as "tolerance for focus error" before it makes an adjustment.
11-08-2013, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
In addition to other helpful replies, see the AF hold video about 1/2 way down this page: Feature 2?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING.

11-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe the sensitivity is set to low if you are tracking a subject through an area that might have a lot of interference like branches or trees. On "HIGH" the AF will try to focus on every branch or tree that gets between you and the subject while you are panning or tracking. On "LOW" it wont jump around so much and keep on the subject.
11-09-2013, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

For some reason whenever there is a discussion on focus and tracking one important feature is nearly always overlooked - the Expanded Area AF. This first became available on the K-30 and works quite well. It's main problem was that there weren't enough focus points but even so it worked quite well.
On the K-3 I am expecting its usefulness to increase a lot, not just because of the many more focus points now available but also the 86K AE sensor which provides more 'intelligence' to the AF tracking algorithm.
I think it is a feature which is way too much underutilised and not enough understood and appreciated.

Keep in mind that is still gives you control over which focus point to start from - you are not subjected to the unpredictablility of automatic AF point selection - but it then still makes use of all the focus points to actively track the subject.

The expanded area AF was one of the main things that made me upgrade to the K-30 (from K-r) and Ithe improvements I expect in the EA-AF is also one of the major reasons I finally decided to get the K-3. Hopefully I will not be disappointed when I receive it next week.,
11-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I believe the sensitivity is set to low if you are tracking a subject through an area that might have a lot of interference like branches or trees. On "HIGH" the AF will try to focus on every branch or tree that gets between you and the subject while you are panning or tracking. On "LOW" it wont jump around so much and keep on the subject.
Really?
I read and my exeriment indicate somthing totally different.
Off = will refocus for any valid target as per older cameras.
low= will wait a short period before refocuing to new target
med = will wait a medium period before refocuinsg to new target
high = will wait a long period before refocusing to new target.

It seemd pretty clear to me in the title 'AF Hold' i.e auto focus hold off
I see nothing in the manual or any where else about 'sensitivity'
11-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I was focusing on something close with a pattern wall behind, 27 point extended area af, center point. I focus on the item, and holding the half shutter, pan up and down within the 2nd mark. It follows and keeps focus. That is the extended area. If I panned so that it was in the third area to the left or right, it would keep focus or not seemingly dependent on how long I had followed, rather than how long it was outside of the mark. If I focused on the item close, then panned it out of the point area, it would lose it. If I focused on the point, moved around a bit in the focus area, then moved out, it would delay a bit before focusing.

Now for more testing. I would suspect it is a combination of both how long the subject was in the extended area and how long it is out, biased by the adjustment. Or rather, that is my starting hypothesis.
11-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
In addition to other helpful replies, see the AF hold video about 1/2 way down this page: Feature 2?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING.
Thanks for that link. Finally an explanation of what F2.8 luminance flux linear sensors are. I must admit that I'm fairly overwhelmed by the AF options on the K-3.