Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-3 Shake Reduction grayed out in Movie Mode

Hello,
I am going through my new K-3.
I have found that Movie SR -- that is Shake Reduction in movie mode is grayed out on the info screen when in movie mode.
Shake reduction is on in the menu, and it is on on the info screen in still mode.

What am I missing?
The manual says Shake Reduction is on by default in movie mode, yet it is grayed out,

I have the 31mm lens on the camera.
Thank you.

11-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Make sure 'remote control' is disabled.
11-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That was it. Thank you very much!
11-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My pleasure, glad it was a simple one. It's caught me out before on the K-01. Pentax realizes that if you have the remote enabled you are using the camera on a tripod, therefore you don't need SR.

11-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
My pleasure, glad it was a simple one. It's caught me out before on the K-01. Pentax realizes that if you have the remote enabled you are using the camera on a tripod, therefore you don't need SR.
That is actually one of the things I wish Penatx would change in the firmware. I sometimes use the remote to reduce shake in handheld shots. I would hold the camera as steady as I can and I have someone else release the shutter with the remote. The problem is that then Pentax decides that I don;t need SR and switches it off, which sort of makes the whole exercise pointless - I've reduce the shutter release induced shake but then I've lost shake reduction and end up with more or less the same blur as if I shot manually.

Same applies in cases where I need to shoot from a high angle - I put the camera on a pole which I hold up as high as possible;and have someone trigger it with the remote. The SR is very important for me here because most of these shots are in low light at speeds of about 1/8 and again I lose the SR because someone decided that shooting with a remote - shooting from a steady tripod :-(

Same issue with the 2 second MLU mode. and 3 second timer+remote+MLU mode.

For some things I have solved it by using the wired remote because it seems the firmware doesn;t 'know' (or care) that a wired remote is plugged in and doesn't disable the SR, but that's just for the remote. The timer and MLU are still unsolvable unless they do something in the firmware.

(Edit - My K-3 is still on the way and what I say above is for the K-30 - maybe something is different in the K-3 in this respect)

Last edited by lister6520; 11-09-2013 at 02:51 AM.