Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I contacted focusingscreen.com using the Contact Us option on their home page regarding the availability of an S-screen for the K-3. That was maybe 2 weeks ago. Have so far not heard a peep.
Tom

11-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Yeah, not the first time I've heard something similar. The only time I had to email him awhile back he got back to me reasonably quickly, but judging by what I've read lately he's not the best at contact. I would just wait until they show as in stock and order one. I just ordered one a month or so ago and everything went fine, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
11-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

This is good to know. I just picked up a new screen for my K5 and I'd hate to have to buy another one if I talk myself into getting a k3 soon.
11-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just looked at the focusing screen web page and they had some S-type screens in stock. So, I ordered one. I'm hoping DogLover will come west to help me install it.
Tom

11-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
Just looked at the focusing screen web page and they had some S-type screens in stock. So, I ordered one. I'm hoping DogLover will come west to help me install it.
Tom
I was nervous about doing mine, but it ended up being really, really simple. Thankfully, I didn't have to change any shims or anything, the replacement screen seems to be in as good as or better focus than the stock screen.
11-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Tom
I have full confidence in you. Just say a little prayer that you don't have to re-shim. You can still do it, but it's so much simpler if you don't have to.
12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My focusing screen arrived yesterday. Packaging is very complete and well thought out. The English translation on the accompanying sheet and the instructions on the web site really deserve some serious revision. I decided to put the new screen in my K-3 this morning and I'm relieved to report it went pretty smoothly. A little bit of fumbling with the insertion and I wasn't completely sure it was properly seated, but the holder closed with a quiet but satisfying click. Preliminary tests with various manual focus lens seems spot on. No shim required. A highly recommended product. When I asked DogLover why this screen was better than the KatzEye screen he replied, "it just is". He's correct. I also have the O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup attached which I'm sure helps. Though I will use this camera primarily on a tripod with Live View it's comforting to know I can use it hand held when needed.
Tom
12-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #53
Pentaxian

My focusing screen arrived yesterday. Packaging is very complete and well thought out. The English translation on the accompanying sheet and the instructions on the web site really deserve some serious revision. I decided to put the new screen in my K-3 this morning and I'm relieved to report it went pretty smoothly. A little bit of fumbling with the insertion and I wasn't completely sure it was properly seated, but the holder closed with a quiet but satisfying click. Preliminary tests with various manual focus lens seems spot on. No shim required. A highly recommended product. When I asked DogLover why this screen was better than the KatzEye screen he replied, "it just is". He's correct. I also have the O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup attached which I'm sure helps. Though I will use this camera primarily on a tripod with Live View it's comforting to know I can use it hand held when needed.
Tom
That's great! Glad it all went ok and you're as pleased with it as I knew you would be. Enjoy!

12-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
...the replacement screen seems to be in as good as or better focus than the stock screen.
I would certainly hope so. The stock screen sucks for manual focus.

Steve
12-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would certainly hope so. The stock screen sucks for manual focus.

Steve
It sucks less than a replacement screen in need of shimming, no?
12-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
It sucks less than a replacement screen in need of shimming, no?
No, absolutely not. I've re-shimmed several and never questioned whether it was worth it. If it hadn't been I would have only done it once.
12-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #57
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I'm lucky in not having to add a shim. I must say that after some more informal testing the difference in ability to focus with this screen is like night and day. A major improvement. I'm tempted to get another for my K-5lls.
Tom
12-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

Try it with a slow lens and you can add deeper meaning to "night and day"

Benefits outweigh drawbacks, but there are indeed drawbacks.
12-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I guess I'm lucky in not having to add a shim. I must say that after some more informal testing the difference in ability to focus with this screen is like night and day. A major improvement. I'm tempted to get another for my K-5lls.
Tom
Be advised that you are much more likely to have to re-shim for the K-5IIs. Something's different with the K-3 that most don't need to be re-shimmed (at least so far). That was not the norm pre-K-3. Every one of my previous installs needed it, including my K-5IIs.
04-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great so it seems pentax shims the k-3 correctly in factory. Most K-5's have front focus and need a thinner shim.