Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #46
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fullerton, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 261
Original Poster
I contacted focusingscreen.com using the Contact Us option on their home page regarding the availability of an S-screen for the K-3. That was maybe 2 weeks ago. Have so far not heard a peep.
Tom

11-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #47
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
Yeah, not the first time I've heard something similar. The only time I had to email him awhile back he got back to me reasonably quickly, but judging by what I've read lately he's not the best at contact. I would just wait until they show as in stock and order one. I just ordered one a month or so ago and everything went fine, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
11-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
This is good to know. I just picked up a new screen for my K5 and I'd hate to have to buy another one if I talk myself into getting a k3 soon.
11-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #49
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fullerton, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 261
Original Poster
Just looked at the focusing screen web page and they had some S-type screens in stock. So, I ordered one. I'm hoping DogLover will come west to help me install it.
Tom

11-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
Just looked at the focusing screen web page and they had some S-type screens in stock. So, I ordered one. I'm hoping DogLover will come west to help me install it.
Tom
I was nervous about doing mine, but it ended up being really, really simple. Thankfully, I didn't have to change any shims or anything, the replacement screen seems to be in as good as or better focus than the stock screen.
11-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #51
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
Just looked at the focusing screen web page and they had some S-type screens in stock. So, I ordered one. I'm hoping DogLover will come west to help me install it.
Tom
I have full confidence in you. Just say a little prayer that you don't have to re-shim. You can still do it, but it's so much simpler if you don't have to.
12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #52
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fullerton, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 261
Original Poster
My focusing screen arrived yesterday. Packaging is very complete and well thought out. The English translation on the accompanying sheet and the instructions on the web site really deserve some serious revision. I decided to put the new screen in my K-3 this morning and I'm relieved to report it went pretty smoothly. A little bit of fumbling with the insertion and I wasn't completely sure it was properly seated, but the holder closed with a quiet but satisfying click. Preliminary tests with various manual focus lens seems spot on. No shim required. A highly recommended product. When I asked DogLover why this screen was better than the KatzEye screen he replied, "it just is". He's correct. I also have the O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup attached which I'm sure helps. Though I will use this camera primarily on a tripod with Live View it's comforting to know I can use it hand held when needed.
Tom
12-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
My focusing screen arrived yesterday. Packaging is very complete and well thought out. The English translation on the accompanying sheet and the instructions on the web site really deserve some serious revision. I decided to put the new screen in my K-3 this morning and I'm relieved to report it went pretty smoothly. A little bit of fumbling with the insertion and I wasn't completely sure it was properly seated, but the holder closed with a quiet but satisfying click. Preliminary tests with various manual focus lens seems spot on. No shim required. A highly recommended product. When I asked DogLover why this screen was better than the KatzEye screen he replied, "it just is". He's correct. I also have the O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup attached which I'm sure helps. Though I will use this camera primarily on a tripod with Live View it's comforting to know I can use it hand held when needed.
Tom
That's great! Glad it all went ok and you're as pleased with it as I knew you would be. Enjoy!

12-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #54
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,202
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
...the replacement screen seems to be in as good as or better focus than the stock screen.
I would certainly hope so. The stock screen sucks for manual focus.


Steve
12-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would certainly hope so. The stock screen sucks for manual focus.


Steve
It sucks less than a replacement screen in need of shimming, no?
12-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #56
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
It sucks less than a replacement screen in need of shimming, no?
No, absolutely not. I've re-shimmed several and never questioned whether it was worth it. If it hadn't been I would have only done it once.
12-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #57
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fullerton, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 261
Original Poster
I guess I'm lucky in not having to add a shim. I must say that after some more informal testing the difference in ability to focus with this screen is like night and day. A major improvement. I'm tempted to get another for my K-5lls.
Tom
12-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
Try it with a slow lens and you can add deeper meaning to "night and day"

Benefits outweigh drawbacks, but there are indeed drawbacks.
12-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #59
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
I guess I'm lucky in not having to add a shim. I must say that after some more informal testing the difference in ability to focus with this screen is like night and day. A major improvement. I'm tempted to get another for my K-5lls.
Tom
Be advised that you are much more likely to have to re-shim for the K-5IIs. Something's different with the K-3 that most don't need to be re-shimmed (at least so far). That was not the norm pre-K-3. Every one of my previous installs needed it, including my K-5IIs.
04-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #60
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,614
Great so it seems pentax shims the k-3 correctly in factory. Most K-5's have front focus and need a thinner shim.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, screen
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: KatzEye™ Focusing Screen for the Pentax® K100D, K100D Super, K110D, K200D, K-r & K-x mycarsoots Sold Items 7 03-23-2013 08:17 AM
180 3-in-1 Focusing screen Verglace Pentax K-5 3 09-20-2012 03:18 AM
How do I change the focusing screen of the 645D? derAngler Pentax Medium Format 2 12-13-2011 01:19 AM
Focusing screen issue. Split-screen out of whack? marcdsgn Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 02-24-2011 04:06 PM
What is the best type of focusing screen? Outlaw Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 07-15-2008 11:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top