Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Katzeye will install and adjust the screen (for a fee) if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Contact them for details.
That's right, I forgot about that, and that's exactly what I did. That's before I felt brave enough to install it myself. Also explains why I don't remember re-shimming it.

11-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the interest of making the viewfinder brighter when using slow(er) lenses, there is no "snap" into focus with the stock screens. There's just no comparison with a matte type screen.

I transplanted the focusingscreen.com Canon S-type from the K-5 into the K-3 today, works perfectly with the stock shim. Same exact procedure, I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax even reused the same parts.
11-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
In the interest of making the viewfinder brighter when using slow(er) lenses, there is no "snap" into focus with the stock screens. There's just no comparison with a matte type screen.

I transplanted the focusingscreen.com Canon S-type from the K-5 into the K-3 today, works perfectly with the stock shim. Same exact procedure, I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax even reused the same parts.
Is this where a few of us get to say, "told you so" about the screens being interchangeable?

One note though, that's awesome that it worked for you without having to change the shim, I should be so lucky, but it won't necessarily be that way for everyone. There are variations in individual bodies. There was quite a bit of this when everyone first starting getting the s-screens in their K-5's. Of course, if they've found a way to eliminate these variances with the K-3, that would be freakin' awesome!

You are right on about the difference with a good matte screen.
11-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just to clarify for myself. Seems to be a consensus that the S-type focusing screen is better than the Katzeye split screen. Right? The S-type is a matte screen, right? How is this screen superior to the standard Pentax matte screen? Just looking at focusingscreens.com, the S-type is not in stock right now for Pentax K-5.
Tom

11-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
Just to clarify for myself. Seems to be a consensus that the S-type focusing screen is better than the Katzeye split screen. Right? The S-type is a matte screen, right? How is this screen superior to the standard Pentax matte screen? Just looking at focusingscreens.com, the S-type is not in stock right now for Pentax K-5.
Tom
It just is! Seriously, I don't know if you would say that the s-screen has a finer "grain" to it or what, but it simply reveals the shallower focal planes much more clearly. Unfortunately, you'll really have to see one installed to understand the difference. I know that doesn't help you much.
11-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
The s-screen allows you to view, without a split-screen, in-focus areas at very large apertures. At least f/1.4, possibly 1.2. Simply put, it does what a split-screen purports to do, but better and without the annoying (to me, anyway) split-prism collar in the middle of your VF. I've had a Katzeye before, trust me the s-type is better.

The only drawback (and only to a select few) is that the s-type can cause a slight darkening of the VF with slower lenses. (Not when using fast lenses at slower apertures, a common misconception. All modern lenses allow focusing at wide-open apertures.) I've never found it to be a problem at all.

S-types bought from focusingscreens.com come pre-cut to fit whatever body you buy them for. They also come with shims, which are required to fine-tune a screen for your individual body. I honestly don't remember if I had to use a different shim when I installed the Katzeye, but as a rule, you generally have to re-shim any aftermarket screen. It's not hard, can be tedious, but is totally worth it to me.

If you didn't have to re-shim your Katzeye, it is either 1) the exact same thickness as the OEM screen, or 2) misaligned, giving you a slightly different focus plane through the VF from what shows up in the final image. If the Katzeye is the same thickness then I will concede that as an advantage, but still not worth picking it to me. I will have an s-screen in every body I use until we have in-VF focus peaking, and frankly, I'm not too sure that would work any better.

+1 on the EE-S screen.
I had the K3 screen too, but the ee-s is way better.
Basically WYSIWYG in terms of what is in focus between viewfinder and sensor even for fast lenses.

EE-S/EE-G is on my 5D though... K3 was on my K7 and K5.
11-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
+1 on the EE-S screen.
I had the K3 screen too, but the ee-s is way better.
Basically WYSIWYG in terms of what is in focus between viewfinder and sensor even for fast lenses.

EE-S/EE-G is on my 5D though... K3 was on my K7 and K5.
I googled the Canon EE-S screen....it looks like it is designed to facilitate manual AF at the centre point? Is this screen helpful if we want to manual focus on other points? I am not very familiar how this works.Is this recommended for macro type photography?

Also, do we need to adjust the EV permanently given that it is probably brighter than the standard focusing screen that comes with the K-3?

11-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I googled the Canon EE-S screen....it looks like it is designed to facilitate manual AF at the centre point? Is this screen helpful if we want to manual focus on other points? I am not very familiar how this works.Is this recommended for macro type photography?

Also, do we need to adjust the EV permanently given that it is probably brighter than the standard focusing screen that comes with the K-3?
No, it's actually a tad darker. Not a problem unless you're using it with really slow lenses. The inherently brighter VF of the K-3 should also help mitigate this effect. I've not had to compensate for it with any EV adjustment. That's more of an issue with a split-prism since it's covering the center metering area.

I have not ever noticed the s-screen being any different in the center than the rest of the VF, but I'm more of a focus and recompose guy. It's good for any photography that you like to be in focus. Even helps with AF so you can confirm that the element that you want to be in focus in the frame, is.
11-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't have a K3, yet, but i was planning on using focus peaking when or if i do get one. There are tricks to using focus peaking and i find the Nex cameras very easy to focus sharply after some practice. The Nex focus peaking for me was a much better experience than using a split focusing screen on the K10/K20 katzeye that i had. Unless focus peaking is not good on the K3 - can anyone confirm whether the focus peaking on K3 is effective or not?
11-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

No, it's actually a tad darker. Not a problem unless you're using it with really slow lenses. The inherently brighter VF of the K-3 should also help mitigate this effect. I've not had to compensate for it with any EV adjustment. That's more of an issue with a split-prism since it's covering the center metering area.

I have not ever noticed the s-screen being any different in the center than the rest of the VF, but I'm more of a focus and recompose guy. It's good for any photography that you like to be in focus. Even helps with AF so you can confirm that the element that you want to be in focus in the frame, is.
Thanks for your helpful explanation.
11-11-2013, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't have a K3, yet, but i was planning on using focus peaking when or if i do get one. There are tricks to using focus peaking and i find the Nex cameras very easy to focus sharply after some practice. The Nex focus peaking for me was a much better experience than using a split focusing screen on the K10/K20 katzeye that i had. Unless focus peaking is not good on the K3 - can anyone confirm whether the focus peaking on K3 is effective or not?
I'm sure peaking is just fine on the K-3, but it's through Live View only, which is not always convenient or even possible. I've said elsewhere on the forum that the s-screen is like a poor man's focus peaking through the VF. Truth is, though, that it may be better. In VF peaking is going to require an EVF or an overlay/hybrid, which may end up not being as enjoyable as the rather excellent (for APS-C) OVF that we have now.
11-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One of the first things I did was swap my focusing screen from my K-5 to my K-3. Fits perfectly, works great.

It's an S-type from focusingscreen.com

Last edited by GoremanX; 11-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.
11-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm sure peaking is just fine on the K-3, but it's through Live View only, which is not always convenient or even possible. I've said elsewhere on the forum that the s-screen is like a poor man's focus peaking through the VF. Truth is, though, that it may be better. In VF peaking is going to require an EVF or an overlay/hybrid, which may end up not being as enjoyable as the rather excellent (for APS-C) OVF that we have now.
Thank you for the explanation. It is often the case that each option (in this case for a VF) has its pros and cons. Does the s-screen screw up the spot metering on the dslr like the old split lens screen. thats why i never got the split lens screen for my K5 - i'd gotten use to spot metering and the situations it helps out on.
11-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find that the S style focusing screen exposes consistently in spot metering mode compared to the factory original focusing screen. It also helps me a lot with manual focusing because it tends to show more accurate depth of field in the viewfinder, down to about F1.8 as opposed to F2.8 for the factory original focusing screen.
11-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
One of the first things I did was swap my focusing screen from my K-5 to my K-3. Fits perfectly, works great.

It's an S-type from focusingscreen.com
Hello,

When trying focusingscreen.com I only get page stating domain for sale!?

Do they not excist anymore?

Regars
Lars