Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Replacing the focusing screen of K-3

I use manual focus lenses 95% of the time. I wondering if the screen in the K-3 is the same as in the K-5. I have a K-5lls and replaced the stock screen with one from KatzEye. I'd like to do the same with the K-3.
Tanks,
Tom

11-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
I use manual focus lenses 95% of the time. I wondering if the screen in the K-3 is the same as in the K-5. I have a K-5lls and replaced the stock screen with one from KatzEye. I'd like to do the same with the K-3.
Tanks,
Tom
I believe they are the same, but don't take my word for it. I would suggest checking directly with katzeye.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

On the Ricoh site they list the exact same focusing screens for both K3 and K5 so I believe they are identical

ME-60
MF-60
MI-60
ML-60

Accessories?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING
K-5II / K-5IIs | RICOH IMAGING
11-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I suspect they are the same, too. I'd like to eliminate doubt. I experienced quite a bit of frustration in replacing the screen on the K-5lls. For me, it's a real anxiety producer to be digging around in the guts of the camera. It took a number of attempts to get the new screen in and I wasn't certain it was properly done until I closed the latch and it finally stayed shut. Though my hands are small, I guess I'm a bit ham fisted. Best to contact KatzEye as suggested.
Tom

11-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wouldn't bother asking Katzeye as I doubt they have any idea yet, unless they look at the same info that the poster above has already pointed out. The screens are the same. Pentax lists the exact same model numbers as "accessory" screens for the K-3 as they do the K-5. What further confirmation would you need?
11-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I would wait......I have the Katzeye on my K-5iiS. However, even though the OVF brightness increase in the K-3 is marginal, to me it is significant. I would not put one on mine.

Also......don't forget, the EVF with focus peaking in LiveView.

R
11-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rich, I use the LCD with LiveView all the time when I have the camera mounted on a tripod (which is most of the time), but I prefer to use the OVF when hand holding the camera. Only had the K-3 for a few days but finding focusing success is limited. Need more practice maybe.

11-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I understand......BTW, I felt really klutzy when I put the Katzeye in my K-5. I did not feel like an adept, that's for sure.
11-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich M Quote
I would wait......I have the Katzeye on my K-5iiS. However, even though the OVF brightness increase in the K-3 is marginal, to me it is significant. I would not put one on mine.

Also......don't forget, the EVF with focus peaking in LiveView.

R
I sort of agree with you. When I had my first K-3 for a day last week, I did notice that the increased brightness of the VF did make MF a little easier. Still definitely not as easy as a Canon s-screen makes it, though, which is my preference over the Katzeye. I have an s-screen waiting to go in whatever K-3 I end up getting to keep. But no, if the Katzeye was the only choice, I would not put one in a K-3 as the performance gain would be minimal, especially considering the metering issues that come with it.
11-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Doglover,
I have not found the metering issues much of a problem with my K-5lls and the Katzeye. A little EV comp and problem solved. What is it about the Canon screen you like? I believe I have read some have issues with scrims for the screen or cutting the screen to proper size. Like Rich, I felt rather klutzy putting the KatzEye in. Don't think I want to go through putting it in and out messing with different scrims.
Tom
11-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I have a reply from KatzEye as follows:

Thank you very much for your inquiry. We have a strong suspicion that our KatzEye K-5 screen will be compatible with the K-3, but we have not yet been able to confirm that fact. We are waiting on additional information from Pentax to confirm compatibility. I will keep your email on file, and as soon as we have further news on the K-3, I will be sure to let you know. Thanks again for your interest in KatzEye Optics products and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Best regards, Rachael Katz KatzEyeT Optics Toll Free: 855-KatzEye (528-9393) Outside USA: +1.413.743.2523

Also have e-mailed C.R.K. in this regard only last Friday, no answer yet but as soon as I get a reply I will post here.

Greetings
11-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Doglover,
I have not found the metering issues much of a problem with my K-5lls and the Katzeye. A little EV comp and problem solved. What is it about the Canon screen you like? I believe I have read some have issues with scrims for the screen or cutting the screen to proper size. Like Rich, I felt rather klutzy putting the KatzEye in. Don't think I want to go through putting it in and out messing with different scrims.
Tom
The s-screen allows you to view, without a split-screen, in-focus areas at very large apertures. At least f/1.4, possibly 1.2. Simply put, it does what a split-screen purports to do, but better and without the annoying (to me, anyway) split-prism collar in the middle of your VF. I've had a Katzeye before, trust me the s-type is better.

The only drawback (and only to a select few) is that the s-type can cause a slight darkening of the VF with slower lenses. (Not when using fast lenses at slower apertures, a common misconception. All modern lenses allow focusing at wide-open apertures.) I've never found it to be a problem at all.

S-types bought from focusingscreens.com come pre-cut to fit whatever body you buy them for. They also come with shims, which are required to fine-tune a screen for your individual body. I honestly don't remember if I had to use a different shim when I installed the Katzeye, but as a rule, you generally have to re-shim any aftermarket screen. It's not hard, can be tedious, but is totally worth it to me.

If you didn't have to re-shim your Katzeye, it is either 1) the exact same thickness as the OEM screen, or 2) misaligned, giving you a slightly different focus plane through the VF from what shows up in the final image. If the Katzeye is the same thickness then I will concede that as an advantage, but still not worth picking it to me. I will have an s-screen in every body I use until we have in-VF focus peaking, and frankly, I'm not too sure that would work any better.
11-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Doglover,
Your points are well taken though I have to admit to a slight internal cringe when someone says, "Trust me". I'm fairly sure my focusing is accurate with my non-shimmed KatzEye. But, I will do some more careful checking. I have a magnifying eyecup coming in a few days for the K-3. With the brighter viewfinder that may help a bit. Most of my focus practicing with the K-3 has been around the house in less than ideal light conditions. More thought and investigations sounds in order. Your observations are helpful to me.
Tom
11-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #14

Katzeye will install and adjust the screen (for a fee) if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Contact them for details.
11-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
... Need more practice maybe.
Seems like you've answered your own question... Give yourself (say) six months to learn all about the camera, then decide.

...my 2 cents... M