Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think all the world is watching any new GH released. Pana has committed working seriously on any GH for video DSLRs.
On my mind , my first choice is of Pentax for photo and Pana for video . The second choice is other brand , even the Canon 5D3 (with RAW) doesn't amuse me much. Sorry for that !

@kenyee: thanks for the interesting link !

But I'm still carrying a hope that Pentax will be excellent in video field one day. If that day is too far, then I maybe drop Pentax for photo because GH3 isn't bad with photo quality.

Recalling my first desire for Pentax:

Pentax delivers the best TRUE PRO camera for both worlds ?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/138434-pentax-delivers-best-true-pro-camera-both-worlds.html#ixzz2nD49uNSu

12-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pTom Quote
But I'm still carrying a hope that Pentax will be excellent in video field one day. If that day is too far, then I maybe drop Pentax for photo because GH3 isn't bad with photo quality.
Honestly, I think you're dreaming if you think Pentax will catch up to Panasonic for video.
The reason is Panasonic has a lot of experience w/ camcorders and videocameras (including pro ones). Same reason Sony is decent at video. Canon is only decent at it because their 5DmkII gave them a lead, but note that they don't even have a system that uses all the chip's photosites (they do every N lines like most people).

So Pentax may keep up w/ Nikon (and they still haven't w/ the K-3 because it doesn't have FHD HDMI out), but I'd be totally surprised if they do even as well as Canon...
12-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Canon is quite dedicated to video, as the 70D shows. They are investing a lot. Pentax isn't, it seems.

I doubt Panasonic would call the camera the GH4K, cause the Japanese (and Chinese) are rather obsessed with avoiding the 4. It is pronounced almost like death.
12-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Canon is quite dedicated to video, as the 70D shows. They are investing a lot. Pentax isn't, it seems.
Because they're a standard in the movie industry because of the 5DmkII's early success and they've *listened* to them when adding features. It's enough of a profit center for them now that they could do an entire lineup (the Cxx series) w/ lenses to support that industry.

And ditto the Pana GH5. I doubt it'll be named the GH4 though rumor sites keep being obsessed w/ that name...

12-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Because they're a standard in the movie industry because of the 5DmkII's early success and they've *listened* to them when adding features. It's enough of a profit center for them now that they could do an entire lineup (the Cxx series) w/ lenses to support that industry.

And ditto the Pana GH5. I doubt it'll be named the GH4 though rumor sites keep being obsessed w/ that name...
It's a shame that Pentax doesn't recognize the market. If a "small" company like BlackMagic with no camera experience can release cameras that are pretty impressive, why can't Pentax? Ricoh/Pentax could make Pentax DSLR based, but video focused cameras. Something like the Cxx series. Not that I'd buy it, but I'm sure there'd be people who do. Newcomers can make quite a splash in the video market (see RED, BlackMagic, Canon, ...), so Pentax would have a chance there too (unlike in the DSLR market where people are usually locked into a system and will stay there). That in turn could influence their DSLRs, some of the higher end features could make their way into their DSLRs, increasing sales.
12-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #66
Veteran Member

It's a shame that Pentax doesn't recognize the market. If a "small" company like BlackMagic with no camera experience can release cameras that are pretty impressive, why can't Pentax?
If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do w/ their component selection. To get good stills, they're pretty much stuck w/ using Sony sensors (or at least have for a while). The current Sony APS-C sensors apparently can't read out that fast (not 1080/60p fast) and the encoder Pentax uses can't encode it even if the sensor could.

Panasonic and Canon make their own sensors so they can tune them for video.
Sony does as well, so that's why their best effort to date is the RX100 which is not APS-C.
Red makes their own sensors...that'd be a company I wish I worked for...the tech to get that much speed is really impressive (and I've worked on supercomputers so I don't impress easily).
No idea where Blackmagic gets their sensors.
12-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #67
Forum Member

Original Poster
You has mentioned the BlackMagic, BM always make big surprises from time to time. I bought BM's Intensity card long time ago and still use it with Canon HV20. Their media player is extreme sharp and also fast. It could be the best media player. I still don't know what secret they found in digital images so that BM has been progressing too fast in comparing with traditional big brands. IMO, their sensors are in their secret image processing. I consider their new product - BM pocket cinema camera . It's so interesting.

12-12-2013, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

I remembered the NEX7 sensor is supposedly what's in the K-3 so looked up NEX7 reviews:
NEX-7 Video

Interesting thing to note is they seem to do some sort of scaling instead of line skipping but it's not a full chip readout and they can do 60p. So apparently, the 1080/60i limitation of the K-3 isn't in the sensor but in the 3rd party codec chip...

There's also mention of Sony's IS jittering when it's still. Sounds like only Canon's IS has solved the video jitter issue w/ hardware stabilization...

And if you're serious about video, the $5K FS100 sounds a lot better than any current APS-C DSLRs and possibly even better than the GH3 because it's a bigger chip but doesn't need to do any downsampling...
12-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #69
Veteran Member

If you discuss Pentax Video the most users in web-boards
get very aggressive even about your interest, because they
allready feel ignored and downgraded by new K-3 video buttons.

They defend their orthodox position to be purely interested in photo
and moan about those who want to misuse Pentax for "stupid video-stuff".

So when you can count video-friends on two hands - even in a big forums as
this one here - you know why Pantax feels only halfheartedly willing to do some
real good video-characteristics for their cameras ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 12-13-2013 at 07:12 AM.
12-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #70
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
If you discuss Pentax Video the most users in web-boards
get very aggressive even about your interest, because they
allready feel ignored and downgraded by new K-3 video buttons.
I don't think many people are "selfish" here ,
To add more video buttons doesn't mean to downgrade any photo features.
"Aggressive" or "Open mind & heart" is depended on the way we comment, the way we behave , the idea we contribute .

As I said before , I love my K-3 because of excellent photo features even though Ricoh/Pentax haven't satisfied my hopes on some new video features. There is the evidence that Ricoh/Pentax has been serious about video when the hardware has a slider for video and another record button. Therefore , it will pave the way for video software to utilize them. The video software has manual way as many video people wanted. Now the video software just needs to reach some new goals. I started to use K-3 for video scenes since I never used K-5 for video purpose. It's a positive for Ricoh/Pentax.

I don't talk much about photo here because this forum has too many high skill photographers here. In this field I prefer to listen to you guys and to buy lens based on most you guys have reviewed or recommended.

I still lay a bet on Ricoh/Pentax for "hybrid" camera .

Last edited by pTom; 12-15-2013 at 05:45 PM.
12-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pTom Quote
I don't think many people are "selfish" here ,
To add more video buttons doesn't mean to downgrade any photo features.
"Aggressive" or "Open mind & heart" is depended on the way we comment, the way we behave , the idea we contribute .

As I said before , I love my K-3 because of excellent photo features even though Ricoh/Pentax haven't satisfied my hopes on some new video features. There is the evidence that Ricoh/Pentax has been serious about video when the hardware has a slider for video and another record button. Therefore , it will pave the way for video software to utilize them. The video software has manual way as many video people wanted. Now the video software just needs to reach some new goals. I started to use K-3 for video scenes since I never used K-5 for video purpose. It's a positive for Ricoh/Pentax.

I don't talk much about photo here because this forum has too many high skill photographers here. In this field I prefer to listen to you guys and to buy lens based on most you guys have reviewed or recommended.

I still lay a bet on Ricoh/Pentax for "hybrid" camera .
The reason Pentax gave the camera the switch was to make sites like dpreview stop giving the camera minus points for a lack there-of. If they had actually cared about video they would have listened to what customers want. They would have given us the OPTION for mechanical SR, besides electronic SR. With a warning that it could introduce audible noise and may be bad for battery life. They would have given us (if possible) the option of higher bitrates. The only thing where they listened was audio. That was a big improvement. Sadly that was IMHO easily outweighted by the areas where it was made worse than what came before.

The K-3 will work great in very controlled environments, ideally utilizing a tripod, and with little movement/detail in the scene.

Btw., I have watched much more footage from my K-5... Some have the movement back after a pan, some don't. No clue why that is... it seems to me that it is the less controlled, faster and jerkier pans that won't have the problem. Clearly if you are shooting with a tripod you'll do better without SR, and if you are shooting without tripod... Even if it bounces back, that can be fixed, or you cut first, and it will be an improvement over no SR regardless. I don't have any wobble in my footage. At least none that would be noticeable without concentrating on finding it. Rolling shutter is still there if you move the camera too fast/the subject moves too fast. So it is not the sensor that makes the camera so wobble resistant. It is the mechanical SR.
12-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #72
Forum Member

Original Poster
The reason Pentax gave the camera the switch was to make sites like dpreview stop giving the camera minus points for a lack there-of.
If that's true , I may go to dpreview to thank them for the new "enforcement"

And thanks for your experience , I will always remind myself that "do not pan fast" with K-3.