Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 video so much better , but ... please to update firmware !

Why talking about the out-of-date K-7, K-x , even K-5 !
It's very clear that all those cameras cannot compete Pana GH2/GH3 and other Canikons
Typing "pentax .. video test" from Youtube or Vimeo can prove this .

I've done some video shots to compare video functions between K-5 and K-3 with Sigma 17-50 f2.8.
The results are that

1. K-3 has quick slide button and press button for video shooting and fast AF when starting video recording. (You will love it )
2. IQ from K-3 is much better than from K-5 , sharper and more contrast, deeper color ( You will love this )
3. K-3 audio has 48 KHz mono with built-in mic ( not sure about plug-in mic )
4. No AF during video recording , but K-3 can do re-focusing during recording ( but with annoying blurred images before focused images )
5. K-3 has better screen to monitor shooting (very important for continuing starring eyes in daylight outdoor ) (you will love it )
6. K-3 has a dedicated button for selecting rectangle area . It's very smart feature ! ( you will love it )
7. K-3 AE-L can be used to lock AE during recording . This is smart too. (You will love it )
8. K-3 is not too hot after long video recordings
9. MOV (H264) file is more artifacts than AVI (M-JEPG) file when panning fast
10. MECHANICAL SR

..... ( still finding ) ....

K-3 video is definitely improving a lot . But Pentax engineers can do more in the next firmware . My suggestions are that

1. If Pentax engineers cannot find a solution for all-the-time AF during video recording, Pentax engineers can discard all back-focused images during recording on SD card , it means replacing front-focused imaged with already back-focused images , so videos seem playing naturally from unfocused images to focused image. Therefore , video footage can be completely used and there is no need removing annoying 2-way unfocused images in video editing stage.

2. Enable the focus-rectangular button during video recording, so we can do re-focus to another subject within fix framing.

3. Enable to select AVI or MOV format ( I prefere AVI in editing )

4. Capture slow motion with high speed (720/100p and 720/120)

5. Enable switching between optical viewfinder and LCD monitor

... (still finding ) ...

I think Ricoh/Pentax engineers can do these in software .

Thank you Ricoh/Pentax for stepping seriously into video field .

Last edited by pTom; 11-10-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo and update
11-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

AE-L can be used to lock AE on the K-01, the Q and the K-7 - I'm glad it's still there in the K-3
11-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. If Pentax engineers cannot find a solution for all-the-time AF during video recording, Pentax engineers can discard all back-focused images during recording on SD card , it means replacing front-focused imaged with already back-focused images , so videos seem playing naturally from unfocused images to focused image. Therefore , video footage can be completely used and there is no need removing annoying 2-way unfocused images in video editing stage.

Sorry??!! Don't get what you're saying here.

2. Enable the focus-rectangular button during video recording, so we can do re-focus to another subject within fix framing.

Good idea.

3. Enable to select AVI or MOV format ( I prefere AVI in editing )

4. Capture slow motion with high speed (720/60p)

Doesn't it already do this?

... (still finding ) ...MECHANICAL SR!!!

I think Ricoh/Pentax engineers can do these in software .

Thank you Ricoh/Pentax for stepping seriously into video field . :cool
11-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote

Sorry??!! Don't get what you're saying here.

l
Haven't you got a K-3 ?

During video recording, if you press AF button , the camera will search for focus points by virtually moving left and moving right the (virtual) focus ring for a few times , decreasing a range of distance , then stopping in the middle of the range . You will see images (left) blurred, then focused , then (right) blurred , then focus and (left) blurred , then focused , ( right ) blurred ... .at last , focused . Now I want the software engineers not to record any the right blurred images into a video file. Therefore I can see the left blurred images going (slowly) to the focused image.

11-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster

4. Capture slow motion with high speed (720/60p)

Doesn't it already do this?
I see all 720/60p videos from my K-3 videos play in normal speed , not a half speed .
11-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
... (still finding ) ...MECHANICAL SR!!!
Yes, it does well
11-10-2013, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pTom Quote
I see all 720/60p videos from my K-3 videos play in normal speed , not a half speed .
That's less about the camera and more about what you're doing with the video file.

The camera recorded at 60fps, and its written into the file. Consequently, your video player will play it at 60fps unless told otherwise.

So, when viewing the videos, just run it at half speed and you'll have your "slow motion". There's nothing to do on Pentax's side.

11-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
That's less about the camera and more about what you're doing with the video file.

The camera recorded at 60fps, and its written into the file. Consequently, your video player will play it at 60fps unless told otherwise.

So, when viewing the videos, just run it at half speed and you'll have your "slow motion". There's nothing to do on Pentax's side.
Exactly.
11-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pTom Quote
Haven't you got a K-3 ?

During video recording, if you press AF button , the camera will search for focus points by virtually moving left and moving right the (virtual) focus ring for a few times , decreasing a range of distance , then stopping in the middle of the range . You will see images (left) blurred, then focused , then (right) blurred , then focus and (left) blurred , then focused , ( right ) blurred ... .at last , focused . Now I want the software engineers not to record any the right blurred images into a video file. Therefore I can see the left blurred images going (slowly) to the focused image.
No, I don't have a K-3. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Not sure how they're going to edit out blurred focus in camera - that's a job for post processing.

Actually, I still don't understand what you're saying - don't worry about it too much.

Cheers
AB
11-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote

Exactly.

I'm sorry for typing "720/60p" , it should be "720/100p or 720/120p" so the video will play as half-speed in normal video player.

Last edited by pTom; 11-10-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
11-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Dear members ...
Dear admin ....

Please shift this thread as well to our video sub-board.

So very few Pentaxians still do care fo video - so we
must gather at some place in the forum were we can
meet and discuss video matters - and not all over the
place in this vast forum ...

Thanks for reading this and posting up there now ?: Video and Pentax HDSLRs - PentaxForums.com
I think it's good idea, but if we shift this thread now , people will lose the topic "K3 - Video features" .
Let people who're focusing on K-3 to see the new advantage of many new video features.
11-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
No, I don't have a K-3. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Not sure how they're going to edit out blurred focus in camera - that's a job for post processing.

Actually, I still don't understand what you're saying - don't worry about it too much.

Cheers
AB
When you have K-3 , you will see clearly that it's very "hesitate" during searching for focused points in shade or low light.
It would be "a big savings" if K-3 does edit out blurred focus on-the-fly .
12-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #13

Since this thread has the title "K-3 video so much better , but ... please to update firmware !" I will ask here:

How DO you do a firmware on the Pentax K-3? It says absolutely nothing about this in the manual.

Just got this nice camera in the door - with no cable to connect to my Mac for either firmware update or transferring photos? Weird weird!
12-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

When they'll have a new firmware, they'll provide all the required instructions with it.
Usually it's just copying the firmware binary file on the SD card, start the camera with the Menu button pressed and selecting the Update choice.
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #15

OK. Thanks, Kunzite