Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very good review. I like to read the cons whenever I read a review. Every product has pros and cons. Not only that what one person sees as a con, may be an "I can live with that" to another. Just as a pro to one person my not be important to another. Thanks for well balance review.

There was one sentence that really struck hard to and old timer like me:

"This camera delivers numerous enhancements over the aging Pentax K-5 family of DSLRs, which was originally introduced more than three years ago, in September 2010."

11-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great review.
Yes, I agree with the dynamic range.
It seems like my K5 has a slight edge on recovering detail from shadows over the K3.
I noticed this early, and because it's so slight, I'm happy to overlook it.

All the features of the K3, taken as a whole are why I own one (and probably a few more soon).

With that said, the K5IIs is an amazing camera that I think Pentax should discount more and keep around.

I don't think the K5IIs is anywhere near "retirement".
11-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
AF.C Tracking test
Is 60-250mm F4 v 70-200mm F2.8 a fair comparison ?
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
A good point. Why not compare AF using a common lens say Sigma 70-200 2.8
I think it is a fair comparison, except like I said that a DX Nikon should have been used.

I know that Nikon AF is optimzed to perform well with the 70-200/2.8G (and $3000+ lenses), the major workhorses for professional AF.C work.

The 60-250mm may be the closest match assuming Pentax used this lens to validate their AF.C too. Provided both are used equivalently (e.g. at 135mm F4 vs. 200mm F5.6; or with a Nikon DX body, both at 200mm F4).

If the Sigma 70-200 2.8 performs faster on the Pentax then by all means, use it! But one wouldn't want to cripple the Nikon by using the Sigma lens. AF.C tests are system tests combining both, best body and lens, for either system.

BTW, a few screw drive lenses like the FA* 300/4.5 which I own already are blazingly fast on the K-5. With the K-3, it should be faster even. It could be a stunning performer in an AF.C test. Maybe worth to give it a try.
11-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I love your pentax gear reviews. Because you don't harp on things I already know about pentax. But what about those that are not familiar with pentax advantages? Example: best in class for compactness, ibsr, etc? Anyhow After reading your k3 review I know I don't need a k3 at the moment, although I might want one. Maybe hold up for k3ii... let's see. .. and thanks again. ...
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We do our best to keep the reviews fair and unbiased. I would agree with monochrome and say that at times we are very critical of Pentax gear, even as Pentax users, but by reading our reviews you should get a very good idea of the pros and cons of each product and how it fares alongside the competition. Most of our writers (myself included) are familiar with competing products and have hands-on experience with them.

11-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Another awesome Pentax K-3 review. Should help someone who is still not sure about getting it
11-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #36

Great review well done!
Thank you all the staff and Adam for the hard work to put this review together in such short period of time frame!
A small request if I may:
Is there a significant difference(brightness, coverage) between the viewfinders of K-3 and K-5iis when you look through them?
THX in advance!

Last edited by souless; 11-12-2013 at 08:35 AM.
11-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

BTW, a few screw drive lenses like the FA* 300/4.5 which I own already are blazingly fast on the K-5. With the K-3, it should be faster even. It could be a stunning performer in an AF.C test. Maybe worth to give it a try.
FA80-200mm f/2.8 might be another ideal candidate?
or a modded screw drive version of DA*50-135 XD

Last edited by souless; 11-12-2013 at 08:36 AM.
11-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is a fair comparison, except like I said that a DX Nikon should have been used.

I know that Nikon AF is optimzed to perform well with the 70-200/2.8G (and $3000+ lenses), the major workhorses for professional AF.C work.

The 60-250mm may be the closest match assuming Pentax used this lens to validate their AF.C too. Provided both are used equivalently (e.g. at 135mm F4 vs. 200mm F5.6; or with a Nikon DX body, both at 200mm F4).

If the Sigma 70-200 2.8 performs faster on the Pentax then by all means, use it! But one wouldn't want to cripple the Nikon by using the Sigma lens. AF.C tests are system tests combining both, best body and lens, for either system.

I have to disagree, this isn't a lens/camera combined test this is a test of the new autofocus module. This should have been tested against it peers the 70D and the d7100 a well as the k-5 II all using the same lens. Pentax may come out with a new lens in the future which equals the nikkor 70-200/2.8G but by then the conclusion will have already been made. The K-3 still lags the competition in autofocus which may not be the case. In addition more tests should have been done with regards to the low light focus speed and tracking ability of the K-3 where it may possibly lead the competition.

Pentax Forums should re-due the autofocus tests.

Otherwise well done.
11-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I believe this is the best PF camera review ever, which is appropriate for the greatest Pentax camera ever. My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that you've severely underappreciated the K-3's AF-C capabilities. The results clearly show that it easily outperformed the K-5 IIs, with 57 shots in focus vs. 36. What's worse, the text of the review makes it sound like the K-3 AF is about the same as the K-5 IIs, despite nailing 60% more shots. Keeper rate is weighted to a slower camera, should not even be mentioned. What about BIF with a busy background? I bet the K-3 will distance itself further from the K-5 IIs.

I am looking forward to the FNAC Lab tests. Their previous tests showed the K-5 AF-C equalled the D7000 and 60D, all of which were soundly spanked by the D300S and 7D.
11-12-2013, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

I do not feel this is correct. The review focuses on the new Pentax AF system and compares it to the Nikon 3D system. I feel that using the same lens on both cameras compares apples to apples. Yes the lens may "cripple" the Nikon AF performance but then the Pentax slow lens focus performance cripples the K-3.
Remove the lens variable and then you are comparing apples to apples, especially if you use a Nikon cropped sensor. But seeing how it compares to the full frame Nikon may be interesting.
Bottom line how does the camera's AF system compare - to me this means remove the lens performance from the comparison.
11-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Every DSLR manufacturer has a 300mm f/4, all are sharp, premium quality lenses, with similar prices. That would be a good test
11-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I still stand about what I saisd above regarding bias for Nikon . The proof is is the test
11-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Nice review! One of the things I really like is the explanation of the camera's menu screens. They are done from a Pentax user's perspective which offers some insight. We're all kind of familiar with the layout and the authors leverage that fact. Other sites present the same info but it doesn't affect me the same way. I think I know the menu system better than them in that case!

I liked the comparison with the K-5 IIs. It makes me wonder how my lowly K-30 compares!
11-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #44
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
Is there a significant difference(brightness, coverage) between the viewfinders of K-3 and K-5iis when you look through them?
They both have 100% coverage. The K-3's finder is slightly larger, but personally I don't think it bears any practical significance as the difference is hardly discernible side by side. Regardless, it's still best in class.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #45

Great review, and the AF performance results agree with what I see with my D610. The difference in keepers is like night and day, regardless of which lens that I use. I use the predictive tracking with 9pt AF-C instead of the 3D tracking, which has been known to loose focus if the color/contrast of the background is similar to the subject. The 3D tracking obviously worked well in the test though.

If I'm going hiking and want a light rig, I'll take my K-5. If I'm shooting fast action or high ISOs, I'll be using the D610. I don't have silly brand loyalty, and I pick the best tool for the job (for me). The K-3 looks like a nice improvement over the K-5, but I think I will keep my K-5. Congrats to those who are happy with their new K-3s.