Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
K-3 Review by PhotoSafari

Pentax K3 review | PhotoSafari

11-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
Interesting review, and very nicely shot photographs.I like that the author describes it as a users review not a technical one.

I am also interested to read that they think noise performance is about the same (impressive for 24mps) but the dynamic range in their estimation is about a half stop better than the K5.
11-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Interesting review, and very nicely shot photographs.I like that the author describes it as a users review not a technical one.

I am also interested to read that they think noise performance is about the same (impressive for 24mps) but the dynamic range in their estimation is about a half stop better than the K5.
I'm not sure I agree with the increased DR. DR might be the same as the K-5.
I agree with his assessment on B&W images. The 24MP sensor is producing some very nice B&W.
I'm still not liking WB in Lightroom. Once you hit 6400 exposure and WB become really critical since you have no room for error (no processing latitude). If you get it right they clean up pretty good, but we're talking about ISO 6400.

ISO 3200 is very good (for ISO 3200) for B&W work. The grain is very fine.
11-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm not sure I agree with the increased DR. DR might be the same as the K-5.
I agree with his assessment on B&W images. The 24MP sensor is producing some very nice B&W.
I'm still not liking WB in Lightroom. Once you hit 6400 exposure and WB become really critical since you have no room for error (no processing latitude). If you get it right they clean up pretty good, but we're talking about ISO 6400.

ISO 3200 is very good (for ISO 3200) for B&W work. The grain is very fine.
I was surprised by the DR comment - but if it's as good or basically the same as the K-5 I think that's a win (given it's extra resolution).

I'm coming from a K-7 and K-01 so if the K-3 can match the K-01's DR and noise then I'll be very pleased. There hasn't been much systematic noise analysis yet but then I guess that's partly a personal tolerance thing. It'll be better than the K-7 regardless, and I don't need above 3200.

11-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I was surprised by the DR comment - but if it's as good or basically the same as the K-5 I think that's a win (given it's extra resolution).

I'm coming from a K-7 and K-01 so if the K-3 can match the K-01's DR and noise then I'll be very pleased. There hasn't been much systematic noise analysis yet but then I guess that's partly a personal tolerance thing. It'll be better than the K-7 regardless, and I don't need above 3200.
I had the K-7, then the K-5, now the K-3. At 6400 the K-3 seems to be just as good as the K-5 when you adjust for the difference in resolution. If you look at both of them at 1:1 then the K-3 looks noisier, but that is a bad way to compare. The prints from the K-3 look cleaner because of the finer grain.

If you are coming from the K-7, then the difference will be substantial. AF is much, much better. The K-3 doesn't show much color noise. Most of the noise is luminance and is easily cleaned up. The AA filter reduces color moire, but it also makes it harder for the RAW processor to tell the difference between color detail and color noise. Taking the AA filter off reduces color noise (per Fuji).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, photosafari, review
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 In-Depth Review: November 12th Adam Pentax K-3 93 05-10-2015 06:14 PM
K-3 review - The Phoblographer Ash Pentax K-3 35 12-03-2013 07:08 PM
A Positive K-3 Review (Video) bluenose Pentax K-3 3 11-05-2013 05:07 PM
Pentax K-3 Review - many samples palacz Pentax K-3 9 10-22-2013 07:02 PM
K-3 Review kricha6431 Pentax K-3 12 10-12-2013 09:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top