Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 Review by PhotoSafari

Pentax K3 review | PhotoSafari

11-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting review, and very nicely shot photographs.I like that the author describes it as a users review not a technical one.

I am also interested to read that they think noise performance is about the same (impressive for 24mps) but the dynamic range in their estimation is about a half stop better than the K5.
11-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Interesting review, and very nicely shot photographs.I like that the author describes it as a users review not a technical one.

I am also interested to read that they think noise performance is about the same (impressive for 24mps) but the dynamic range in their estimation is about a half stop better than the K5.
I'm not sure I agree with the increased DR. DR might be the same as the K-5.
I agree with his assessment on B&W images. The 24MP sensor is producing some very nice B&W.
I'm still not liking WB in Lightroom. Once you hit 6400 exposure and WB become really critical since you have no room for error (no processing latitude). If you get it right they clean up pretty good, but we're talking about ISO 6400.

ISO 3200 is very good (for ISO 3200) for B&W work. The grain is very fine.
11-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm not sure I agree with the increased DR. DR might be the same as the K-5.
I agree with his assessment on B&W images. The 24MP sensor is producing some very nice B&W.
I'm still not liking WB in Lightroom. Once you hit 6400 exposure and WB become really critical since you have no room for error (no processing latitude). If you get it right they clean up pretty good, but we're talking about ISO 6400.

ISO 3200 is very good (for ISO 3200) for B&W work. The grain is very fine.
I was surprised by the DR comment - but if it's as good or basically the same as the K-5 I think that's a win (given it's extra resolution).

I'm coming from a K-7 and K-01 so if the K-3 can match the K-01's DR and noise then I'll be very pleased. There hasn't been much systematic noise analysis yet but then I guess that's partly a personal tolerance thing. It'll be better than the K-7 regardless, and I don't need above 3200.

11-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I was surprised by the DR comment - but if it's as good or basically the same as the K-5 I think that's a win (given it's extra resolution).

I'm coming from a K-7 and K-01 so if the K-3 can match the K-01's DR and noise then I'll be very pleased. There hasn't been much systematic noise analysis yet but then I guess that's partly a personal tolerance thing. It'll be better than the K-7 regardless, and I don't need above 3200.
I had the K-7, then the K-5, now the K-3. At 6400 the K-3 seems to be just as good as the K-5 when you adjust for the difference in resolution. If you look at both of them at 1:1 then the K-3 looks noisier, but that is a bad way to compare. The prints from the K-3 look cleaner because of the finer grain.

If you are coming from the K-7, then the difference will be substantial. AF is much, much better. The K-3 doesn't show much color noise. Most of the noise is luminance and is easily cleaned up. The AA filter reduces color moire, but it also makes it harder for the RAW processor to tell the difference between color detail and color noise. Taking the AA filter off reduces color noise (per Fuji).