Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Durability of Silver editions

My apologies if this has been discussed. Can the silver editions put up with the rough handling of the Black Pentax cameras? Mine have been through pretty rough country, back packing, sliding off car seats, etc. The black versions have shown no real damage when knocked against trees and even light contact with rocks. Will the silver edition be as durable.

11-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had a K-5 silver for 2.5+ years. My shutter count is just over 20,000, which isn't all that much. But the camera's been through all kinds of rough stuff over those years. I certainly wasn't especially careful with it. I do use a battery grip and an L bracket, which may have created some minor extra protection. Comparing my new K-3 silver to my old K-5 silver, the K-5 still looks brand new with no signs of wear whatsoever.

Last edited by GoremanX; 11-11-2013 at 12:00 PM.
11-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

On my K-5 IIs I have some dings that now are showing grey metal thru the black coating.

I would think if the Silver K-3 has the same magnesium underneath then the Silver might actually show less wear than the black.

However, If anything has black underneath The silver paint, that would show up pretty well.
11-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can never quite tell by pictures - silver is tricky. Does it look good, nice coated metal or does the silver coating look kind of plasticy? I like the look of the silver editions, but have never examined one personaly.

My black K5 is wearing on corners etc - which looks pretty badass...well used.

11-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I can never quite tell by pictures - silver is tricky. Does it look good, nice coated metal or does the silver coating look kind of plasticy? I like the look of the silver editions, but have never examined one personaly.

My black K5 is wearing on corners etc - which looks pretty badass...well used.
Looks like bare metal. It's not bare metal, of course. It's painted magnesium. Magnesium is a darker gray than this. But the paint gives the camera a beautiful metallic finish. This is not a cheesy finish by any means.
11-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. The silver looks great with silver lenses, for sure - and even with black it has that retro, er, "classic" look.
11-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep, sure does...
11-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Looks like bare metal. It's not bare metal, of course. It's painted magnesium. Magnesium is a darker gray than this. But the paint gives the camera a beautiful metallic finish. This is not a cheesy finish by any means.
I hope the K3 is not pure Magnesium which is unstable and very flammable. Incendiary devices use Magnesium. Most likely it's a Zinc alloy with traces of Magnesium.

Chris

11-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
I hope the K3 is not pure Magnesium which is unstable and very flammable. Incendiary devices use Magnesium. Most likely it's a Zinc alloy with traces of Magnesium.
Yes, I clearly remember that time when a K-5 user's camera spontaneously CAUGHT FIRE IN HIS FACE AND MELTED IT TO AN UNRECOGNIZABLE BLOB OF FLESH!!! In fact, this is one of the main fears we all have when wielding our cameras.

"Is this thing made of 100% pure magnesium? Gee, I sure hope not... or else it'll CATCH FIRE IN MY FACE AND MELT IT TO AN UNRECOGNIZABLE BLOB OF FLESH!!!"

Now, back to relevant concerns...
11-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Magnesium catches fire arround 500c (932f for us Americans). If your camera ever gets that hot you have other concerns.
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I saw about 15-20 silver K-5s and K-7s lined up in a second hand store in Tokyo. Not one of them looked like the silver had worn out. Some of them had marks on them, as if black rubber had rubbed onto them, but that was all. I personally prefer the black ones, but the silver Pentaxes don't look or feel cheap at all. They just put silver dye in the coating material instead of black.
11-11-2013, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
Magnesium catches fire arround 500c (932f for us Americans). If your camera ever gets that hot you have other concerns.
Nono! ChrisJ warns us that it's UNSTABLE and an INCENDIARY MATERIAL!!! It's not like they use magnesium in structural items or anything. Like engine blocks, wheels, and construction materials. No, it's DANGEROUS, and it was vital that he point this out to all of us who have been wielding magnesium-bodied cameras for countless years!
11-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nono! ChrisJ warns us that it's UNSTABLE and an INCENDIARY MATERIAL!!! It's not like they use magnesium in structural items or anything. Like engine blocks, wheels, and construction materials. No, it's DANGEROUS, and it was vital that he point this out to all of us who have been wielding magnesium-bodied cameras for countless years!
Sure is a good thing I go the lowely plastic k-30 :-)
11-11-2013, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

ChrisJ didnt warn you about anything.......

But you chose to act like 5 year old.

Apparently you like to hear yourself yell.

Idiot.
11-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
ChrisJ didnt warn you about anything.......

But you chose to act like 5 year old.

Apparently you like to hear yourself yell.

Idiot.
You're right, he did not try to warn us about anything. He just spouted nonsense. My apologies.