Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few questions for new K-3 users

There are some things I have not figured out how to do, and the manual is not helping me. Here goes...

1-How can one light up the top LCD without programming the Fx button to do so?

2-How can one refocus in movie mode?

3-Can one set the camera to RAW, but at a lower resolution?

The rest of my questions will probably be answered in the various reviews on the web (the effect of things like shadows and highlights improved tones, for instance).

11-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. The top LCD backlight is on all the time at the intensity you set it to (off, low, high). Only the RAW/Fx button can be customized to change that on the fly, otherwise you have to dive into the menus (custom option 22)

2.While recording, you can only re-focus manually. There is no help in doing so, no focus peaking or anything. While not recording, you can focus manually or automatically, and focus peaking is available.

3. No, only full size RAW files are available.

Last edited by GoremanX; 11-11-2013 at 12:03 PM.
11-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

1. Use aperture preview
11-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
2.While recording, you can only re-focus manually. There is no help in doing so, no focus peaking or anything. While not recording, you can focus manually or automatically, and focus peaking is available.
Autofocus is available while recording - it's just slow and can be unreliable. I have it set so autofocus is on the AF button - just hold that down while recording...

11-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Autofocus is available while recording - it's just slow and can be unreliable. I have it set so autofocus is on the AF button - just hold that down while recording...
Ah, good call. I always set that button to "Cancel AF" because I never use it for auto focusing, but if I set it to "AF1" or "AF2" instead, then it allows me to auto-focus during movie recording. However as you mentioned, it's very slow, and it tends to overshoot its target before coming back to it.
11-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
How can you set this exactly? That's what I want.

1. The top LCD backlight is on all the time at the intensity you set it to (off, low, high). Only the RAW/Fx button can be customized to change that on the fly, otherwise you have to dive into the menus (custom option 22)
I believe if you set the Fx button to light up the LCD, then the "no light" option is grayed and you can only set the brightness to low or high. And that option (22) answered my question partially. It claims to set the brightness of the LCD when the metering system is on, so I believe when you use the Fx the metering stops lighting up the LCD.
11-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
How can you set this exactly? That's what I want.
I explained it above. In the button customization, set the AF button to either AF1 or AF2 (not "Cancel AF"). Then, while recording, you can use the AF button on the back of the camera to auto focus to a new target. The usual method for auto-focusing (half-press of the shutter button) does not work while recording.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I believe if you set the Fx button to light up the LCD, then the "no light" option is grayed and you can only set the brightness to low or high. And that option (22) answered my question partially. It claims to set the brightness of the LCD when the metering system is on, so I believe when you use the Fx the metering stops lighting up the LCD.
You are correct, when the RAW/Fx button is set to toggle the LCD illumination, then the only options in custom option 22 are low or high. The RAW/Fx button toggles the light on and off.

11-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I explained it above. In the button customization, set the AF button to either AF1 or AF2 (not "Cancel AF"). Then, while recording, you can use the AF button on the back of the camera to auto focus to a new target. The usual method for auto-focusing (half-press of the shutter button) does not work while recording.
I thought you were implying that there was a different setting for film, which I had not found before.
11-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could use AF during video, by pressinf AF button, out of box. When I changed liveview focusing mode to center box, it was really much faster. Some hunting, but still it works. Might be better of with manual focus thou. But it is there!
11-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One thing is sure, quick-shift is a godsend when filming videos.