Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

K-5ii/s to k-3 users

Hello,

I tried to look for this but did not find much.

Are there any K-5ii/s users that switched to k-3?

I was wondering:

1. how is the IQ in JPG? compered to k-5ii/s
2. is the upgrade worth it, in general? (I know different people have different usage for the camera)
3.Or should I wait to K-3II?

Thanks.

11-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) IMHO slightly better but with more noise. But that's comparing full size to full size. if the 24mp is downsized to the 16mp of the k-5 the noise is similar. I think the additional MP's add detail but I cannot say it is a huge difference. I do think that my post processing will need to change and after I adjust I think I will get more out of the k-3 images.

2) Difficult to say, I've waited for the k-3 for a long time so no question I was going to get it. Did I need it? No. But the k-5IIs went to my wife and she is delighted with it, so we are both happy

3) I think only you can decide that. I am very happy with k-3, I think it is a step up in a number of areas, not so much change in others. But it is (so far) a solid, well built camera that I am delighted with.
11-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by karelson Quote
Hello,

I was wondering:

2. is the upgrade worth it, in general? (I know different people have different usage for the camera)

Thanks.
A better question may be:

What type of pictures are you trying to take now that you cannot do with the K5iis?

If we know that then new adopters may be able to make their assessment of what the K3 is capable of compared to what you need. Otherwise it is just a guess as to what is important to you.

Other than that, the K5IIS image quality is very, very good. Obviously the K3 has a few more megapickles but that probably won't be terribly obvious unless you print VERY big.

The second question is pretty personal. It may be worth it for someone else but there is no way we will know if it is worth it for you.

Again, what are you trying to do with the K5IIs that the K3 (or K3II) may be able to do better?
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hello,

I was wondering:

Thanks.
1. Better (you get more resolution, better WB, better metering, about the same amount of noise >ISO 400 after PP)
2. Yes, you get improvements in just about every other area too!
3. No

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
A better question may be:

What type of pictures are you trying to take now that you cannot do with the K5iis? If we know that then new adopters may be able to make their assessment of what the K3 is capable of compared to what you need. Otherwise it is just a guess as to what is important to you.

I don't know how to put it.....I want to know in general if the K-3 is better.

I think my K-5IIs is more then good enough for me.

The child in me want's the best and the latest

But I am curies to know what people that switched think.
11-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how to put it.....I want to know in general if the K-3 is better.
YES!
Probably, it is an excellent camera and if you are not finding it limiting then why spend money on a new camera?
The child in me want's the best and the latest
Of course, and if you have the budget why are you waiting?
But I am curies to know what people that switched think.
Love it, glad I pre-ordered. This is the only thing I have ever pre-ordered, camera or otherwise. And based on the almost deafening silence regarding the usual complaints I am happy I did. The biggest 'complaint' thread is that the manual is incomplete..........
11-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You answered your own question. If the K5IIs is good enough for you now than there is no point in upgrading. Put that money into some nice lenses as they will last you much longer than any digital body.

11-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know this thread is about K5IIs users, but I feel that I should chime in, as I was so close to being a K5IIs user and selling my dual K5 cameras.

The K5IIs was a compelling upgrade, and I agonized over it since it came out.

A-G-O-N-I-Z-E-D.

Since the K5 has been so good to me, and opened up so many opportunities - creative and financial - I was anxious that Ricoh would screw up the eventual upgrade.

(Friday I am probably going to be laid-off and my K5 work is the ONLY thing that might save me, but that is another story)

My shooting, and the output, tends to be crop-heavy as I work the scene for aesthetics. I routinely use about 70-80% of an image, and I print very large.

The K5IIs promised to give me that little extra sharpness, and it was compelling.
However, without the extra resolution in megapixels, I still wasn't getting more "real-estate" to crop.
It seemed like I would have to leave Pentax because of it, as the 645D was out of my price range.

I can't tell you how many times the Nikon D800e tempted me as something that would give me the extras I was looking for.

I was even willing to compromise and wait, if Ricoh would *just* give me a Pentax K5 with more megapixels and take another year or two to work on a FF.
However with Ricoh going to the Hoya parts bin, and color engineering, my hopes were dim.

So I waited on buying a K5IIs - although I REALLY wanted to get one - because it was so much better than my K5 in two very important areas; focusing and sharpness.

So now we have the K3, and Ricoh did the K5IIs upgrade right.

From a sentimental perspective, I would love to own a K5IIs, but as I use the K3 more and more that is fading fast.

F-A-S-T.

So from a "Pseudo-K5IIs" user, I can say that I am very pleased to have "upgraded" to a K3.
11-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Read the pentax Review on k3, to me I won't be upgrading to k3 from k5iis t hat soon. Beside it is the last pentax dslr with pentax printed on the rear. I will keep it for nostalgic purpose. That's just me.
11-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have no interest in action photography and are happy with the processing speed of the K5IIs, then I would not upgrade. I had the K5 and K5IIs. I have already purchased the K3 and 55-300 WR. I find the WR variant of this lens performs like a different lens on the K3. It focuses much faster and is more decisive in focusing. With much less hunting than on the K5IIs. For me, the ability to get in focus BIF pics makes the upgrade worthwhile. I plan to enjoy the K3 more than I did the K5 series.