Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K3 manual - What is Ricoh thinking?

The weakest link for the K3 product might be the manual.

Going through the threads, many of us are not finding what we want in the K3 manual. The manual has changed shape and the contents seems a bit thin or is that my imagination.

My WG-3 manual is the same design and shape (but smaller pages to fit into the box) as all the previous K models I own including the K-01. Reason for mentioning the WG-3 is that it is recent so something has occurred between its production and that of the K3.
WG3 - 231 pages for a relatively simple camera
K3 - 107 pages doubled up.
K5 - 375 pages
The K3 online PDF version is the same.

I find the lack of video information very frustrating. I certainly want and need more information about video functionality. People are still discussing if the camera will focus during video.

I am sure there are many other areas people are having issues.

What was Ricoh thinking when they put the manual together. They obviously decided to go in a new direction. I would have thought a serious camera deserves a serious manual. Maybe we should ask Ricoh to make a more complete online manual.

11-11-2013, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
The weakest link for the K3 product might be the manual.

Going through the threads, many of us are not finding what we want in the K3 manual. The manual has changed shape and the contents seems a bit thin or is that my imagination.

My WG-3 manual is the same design and shape (but smaller pages to fit into the box) as all the previous K models I own including the K-01. Reason for mentioning the WG-3 is that it is recent so something has occurred between its production and that of the K3.
WG3 - 231 pages for a relatively simple camera
K3 - 107 pages doubled up.
K5 - 375 pages
The K3 online PDF version is the same.

I find the lack of video information very frustrating. I certainly want and need more information about video functionality. People are still discussing if the camera will focus during video.

I am sure there are many other areas people are having issues.

What was Ricoh thinking when they put the manual together. They obviously decided to go in a new direction. I would have thought a serious camera deserves a serious manual. Maybe we should ask Ricoh to make a more complete online manual.
I think they may be taking advantage of the fact that many users never even open the manual...looks like they're saving lots of paper with this one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2013, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Time to make an Official Pentaxforums Camera Operating Manual?
11-11-2013, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think they may be taking advantage of the fact that many users never even open the manual...looks like they're saving lots of paper with this one.
That's fine for the print version, I'm all for a short paper booklet to save the rainforest - but why not make an extended PDF version that includes everything there is to know?

11-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Very unprofessional.

The only logical explanation is, that the K3 launch was so in a hurry that they were not able to prepare all language mutations in reasonable quality.

Then I would expect, that their marketing creates additional e-brochures, video etc...
It seems that they are discovering the same as we do - what K3 actually is capable of.
11-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Time to make an Official Pentaxforums Camera Operating Manual?
This site will produce a manual PENTAX DSLRs
I will be getting the K3 manual when it's produced even though I didn't see the need for the K10, 20, 7 or 5
11-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was very disappointed with the manual included with the K-3. Very lightweight, lacking tons of stuff. I did need to refer to it for a couple of things, and I mostly found the info I needed, although it took me a long time to figure out how to magnify the Live View for manual focusing (couldn't find that in the manual anywhere). If I hadn't owned numerous K-7's and K-5's over the years, this manual would be crap.

Last edited by GoremanX; 11-11-2013 at 03:12 PM.
11-11-2013, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Honestly i have read k5 manual few times from front to back. At home paper manual is always near just in case i need to check something. K3 manual looked like a joke to me cos there was nothing much covered. What is the point having so many nice features if people not know how to use those features...
11-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This site will produce a manual PENTAX DSLRs
I will be getting the K3 manual when it's produced even though I didn't see the need for the K10, 20, 7 or 5
I never found Yvon Bourque's e-Books to be any more insightful than the standard Pentax manuals. But the upcoming K-3 e-Book might finally be worthwhile considering how crap the included manual is.
11-11-2013, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are an award-winning global "Green" company - but I agree a "full" manual could be posted in pdf form.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
11-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe Yvon Bourque will come up with a better manual.
He did so for all of the latest Pentax DSLR cameras.
Maybe someone could contact him and see what he says ... ? Just throwing an idea around.

And, as someone else mentioned earlier on this thread:

Start a "Pentax forum - made" manual !

JP
11-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, when I first read the manual, I thought it lacked detail and good usage guidance for the many features of this complex camera. It seemed like merely Part 1 of the manual.

Extra info on AF mode usage, video usage, flash usage etc would have been a great addition.

FWIW the D800 has a 470 pg manual, the D600 has a 368 pg manual, D7100 has 384 pages, 5D3 has a 400 page manual, 7D has 276 pages. For complex cameras, detailed manuals make sense. Even my old Ricoh Caplio G4 manual (from 2003) had 190 pages.

Also the K-3 electronic manual lacks PDF bookmarks/a side menu. The K-5 manual has bookmarks. Whoever prepared the K-3 manual must have been in a hurry or something to omit this basic PDF feature.
11-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

To be honest I'm in the camp that doesn't really care

It provided good reading while I waited for my camera to arrive, but with everything I own, I learn by doing and experimenting...

11-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Maybe Yvon Bourque will come up with a better manual...

JP
And who will tell Yvon Bourque, how to describe and set up Menu Items C 15, 16, 17 and 18 e.g.? Does he communicates with developers directly ?

It would be a big shame for Ricoh if they not publish additional documents for key features of K3.
11-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The weakest link for the (insert product here) might be the manual.
This a is nothing new. Sometimes even the index to subjects is incomplete.