Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
And who will tell Yvon Bourque, how to describe and set up Menu Items C 15, 16, 17 and 18 e.g.? Does he communicates with developers directly ?

It would be a big shame for Ricoh if they not publish additional documents for key features of K3.
I just sent an email to him, minutes ago, referring him to this thread here.
He has participated in a couple of discussions in the past, so we shall see what he says, if he ever decides to check this thread.

I was just throwing an idea around for the benefit of K3 owners.

JP

11-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps someone should actually read Yvon's site, where he clearly writes:

"I am currently completing the e-book for the Ricoh GR and will then write the e-book for the new Pentax K-3."
11-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Perhaps someone should actually read Yvon's site, where he clearly writes:

"I am currently completing the e-book for the Ricoh GR and will then write the e-book for the new Pentax K-3."
His blog does also show the K3 right there in the foreground.
I didn't see the comment regarding his eBook for the K3 though ... ooops!

JP
11-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Honestly i have read k5 manual few times from front to back. At home paper manual is always near just in case i need to check something. K3 manual looked like a joke to me cos there was nothing much covered. What is the point having so many nice features if people not know how to use those features...
It's funny to discover function while changing menu/option but it's really annoying that laked detail & info..It seems that it's a starter Guide, not a real manual.

For Yvon Bourque's option, i can't understand that ! Buying a third party pdf to be aware of what are our dslr capability ?!

Please Pentax/Ricoh, give us the real and final manual asap !

11-11-2013, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Ricoh GR now on the back burner; Pentax K-3 a priority.

I received several emails about writing an e-book for the Pentax K-3. I just read this post and in response, I will put the GR on the back burner and immediately work on the Pentax K-3 e-book. I always felt that any OEM manuals were not the friendliest way to learn about your camera. The OEM manuals usually tell you what, I usually try to include the what, where, why, when, how, general photography tips and a catalog of what current lenses and equipment are available at the time of writing.

I will work on producing an e-book for the K-3 and get it out by early December.

You can watch the progress here PENTAX DSLRs and get the e-book here http://www.ebooks4cameras.com/ when available.

BestRegards to all my Pentax Friends,

Yvon Bourque
11-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
I received several emails about writing an e-book for the Pentax K-3. I just read this post and in response, I will put the GR on the back burner and immediately work on the Pentax K-3 e-book. I always felt that any OEM manuals were not the friendliest way to learn about your camera. The OEM manuals usually tell you what, I usually try to include the what, where, why, when, how, general photography tips and a catalog of what current lenses and equipment are available at the time of writing.

I will work on producing an e-book for the K-3 and get it out by early December.

You can watch the progress here PENTAX DSLRs and get the e-book here Ebooks4cameras when available.

BestRegards to all my Pentax Friends,

Yvon Bourque
Thanks a whole bunch, Yvon !

I am sure the K3 users will be pleased.
There is quite a bit of concern about missing details on video and, particularly, on the many different options for the AF system.

Cheers!

JP
11-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

A lot of companies are moving to online documentation. They should at least have a series of videos or something. Maybe they do in Japanese?

11-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 e-book in progress.
Attached Images

11-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I never found Yvon Bourque's e-Books to be any more insightful than the standard Pentax manuals. But the upcoming K-3 e-Book might finally be worthwhile considering how crap the included manual is.
I agree. Actually, I did find Yvon's K-5 .pdf manual quite a useful addition in getting through that camera's maze of controls and options. This limited K-3 manual cries out for an aftermarket guide. This camera's much more complex than its predecessors. The sooner the better if Ricoh doesn't come through on this.

John
11-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me nothing beats a good, comprehensive paper manual. I devour them (and books).

If Ricoh wants to differentiate itself from the competition then it should provide a full, well laid out user manual (even in PDF format that I can print myself).

I love paper: it is tangible, tactile, robust, renewable and recyclable.
11-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Gray +1

For much reading paper format is better. Those electronic manuals and books on disc result that nobody bother to read manuals anymore. Personally i newer even look what is there on cd/dvd, i not want to use manufacturer specific computer programs and i not want to spend my time searching what is there.

That k5 about 400 pages manual is very handy cos its pockect size can easyly carry when learning to use new camera.
11-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #27
Forum Member

I think, with all respect to Yvon Bourque, that Ricoh should publish some kind of white paper regarding new focusing.
11-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
For me nothing beats a good, comprehensive paper manual. I devour them (and books). If Ricoh wants to differentiate itself from the competition then it should provide a full, well laid out user manual (even in PDF format that I can print myself). I love paper: it is tangible, tactile, robust, renewable and recyclable.
I totally agree. You can attach postit stickers with your own interpretations onto the pages of interest, place bookmarks, and flick back and forth through the pages as needed much more quickly then with any electronic book. A book is much more user friendly and not dependent on batteries when you travel and you can read it outside when the sun is shining.

Geetings
11-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
I think, with all respect to Yvon Bourque, that Ricoh should publish some kind of white paper regarding new focusing.
This goes a bit more deeper than the "Pentax Simili Manual" :
Feature 2?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING
11-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I found this yesterday

Pentax K-3 K3 Full PRINTED Owners Users Instruction Manual Guide | eBay

Interestingly it's half the price of the K5 manual, I guess it's just a printed version of the PDF manual, not in depth like Yvon's, but useful for all of us that prefer a printed manual.

Chris