Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At last someone here has agreed with my observation of several pages back.

Good, I'm glad you claimed it. I couldn't find the post to quote you. But all manuals are this way now.

01-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #77
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Focus?

Yes, I've read the K-3 manual cover to cover. I've managed to nut out most of the relevant points -- well, the ones with which I played around.

But what's happening with the focus setting AF.A ? When does it choose .S or .C ? If there's some camera movement relative to the subject as focus is attempted, then it seems to veer towards AF.C. But then focus is often missed, anyway. Am I missing some fundamental point?

It would be good to have some idea of the differences between the two anti-aliasing sensor movement settings.

I did accidentally find that it is possible to have a RAW file produced from a HDR capture. That's interesting.

Certainly a capable camera. But perhaps doomed to have many features never used, except by accident.
01-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #78
Forum Member

Pentax should create white paper, application list or whatever name of document, covering new features, mainly AF.
K3 is their 1000usd flag ship and they are not able to describe its functionality in detail.
There are such documents from other vendors.
The only reason for that is, that current firmware did not reached expected level of functionality yet.

I write this as moreless happy user of K3.
01-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has donea few White Papers in the past - most notoably I think on WR.

01-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #80
Pentaxian

It is ok for the manual to be mainly technical, it can't be 800 pages long, and I find some of this criticism a bit over the top. (When you buy a car, does the manual teach you to drive and tell you what to do in each situation?) But they should have supplementary material, videos, etc especially showing off the newer features and pointing out useful ways of doing things that might not be obvious. Part of this is just the curse of small market share -- with any Canon or Nikon product there is plenty of third-party stuff supporting it even if the manufacturer doesn't explain everything. With Pentax, we get one third-party e-book and this forum. (Any of you, feel free to create some more material.)
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #81
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is ok for the manual to be mainly technical, it can't be 800 pages long, and I find some of this criticism a bit over the top. (When you buy a car, does the manual teach you to drive and tell you what to do in each situation?) But they should have supplementary material, videos, etc especially showing off the newer features and pointing out useful ways of doing things that might not be obvious. Part of this is just the curse of small market share -- with any Canon or Nikon product there is plenty of third-party stuff supporting it even if the manufacturer doesn't explain everything. With Pentax, we get one third-party e-book and this forum. (Any of you, feel free to create some more material.)
In the past the Pentax manual was all you needed to understand your new photographic tool. With this manual you may need to call someone, e-mail someone or use the forum to, maybe, get the correct answer for how a function is supposed to work. I have the Sony RX100 and that manual really is the worst shit ever concuted. It is full of features and the manual tells you how to turn on or off a function but does not explain any of them.

I hate my smartphone because there is no manual and there is a ton off functionality in this small super computer but I find them out as time passes by and this should not be an issue. If I buy a car the manual has to tell me how to turn on or off the parking break but it does not have to tell me what a parking break is because that I should know because I have a drivers license. But the anti spin, for instance, has to be explained in more detail when and how it is supposed to work so that I know if it is working as it should.

With the K-3 I find functions not mentioned in the manual. For instance: When you are making a Multi exposure with self timer it does not tell you that if you first choose 2 seconds self timer this will be used here as well or the 12 s if that is choosen. Knowing that this feature is not in the manual makes me wonder everytime if there is some other way to configure some other feature.

Also the translation to Swedish in both the menu and in the manual is a real embarrassment. Did they use Google translate?

Apart from that, this camera is a real keeper.
01-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The only feature of my car I am not happy with is the manual.

Examples: one day I wanted to be sure what grade of petrol to use (92, 95 or 98 unleaded). The manual had all kinds of general information about the petrol in general and lots of "Auchtung!" notices - but I could not find a straight forward statement what kind of petrol to put in my car, with which the manual shipped.

Same thing with changing a wheel (for a puncture). It could have used less pages AND been helpful to give me a picture which clearly indicated the support point.

And for tyre pressure - it did not tell me what pressure to use, nor give a straight forward direction to look inside the fuel filler flap for the table. But it did tell me all manner of horrid consequences for wrong pressures - along with plenty of "Auchtung!" notices.

BTW: the car is very nice to drive, so good I would replace it with another of the then current model.

01-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was more "How To" information in a 32 page 70's KX manual than in any 200 page modern manual. And the old ones included D0F tables.
01-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Is the K-3 manual worse than the K5, K-01, Q? (Those are the most recent ones I have.) They all seem about the same...
01-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the K-3 manual worse than the K5, K-01, Q? (Those are the most recent ones I have.) They all seem about the same...
It is physically smaller and printed 1/2 page, i.e. it is reduced so there are two pages of text fro every (smaller) printed page. The result is it is about 65% smaller than the K-01 manual.
01-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #86
rfg

I'd say so: I upgraded from a k-r and the k-3 manual has less detail than the k-r book for a significantly more advanced camera. I downloaded the k-5II manual and I find it a very useful addition for many settings.
01-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #87
Inactive Account

I just received my K-3 yesterday. Naturally, I got out the manual to check out some of the functions and setting options of camera. Needless to say, I was disappointed in the lack of details on a lot of the options and info on how to setup those options. I am glad that I brought the detailed PDF manual that one of the site members recommended me.