Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #46

Just as a note, many of you are indicating the rapid shutter firing in cold weather. My event occurred in a quite comfortable studio.

01-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok. I was shooting yesterday and experienced a lockup on the camera. Can't get the camera to respond. Turn the camera off but the back LCD is still on. Try to switch on and off to no avail. Finally have to remove the grip and the battery in the body. I was using the Pentax K-3 silver with original grip with firmware v1.00. Was changing mode from User mode 3 to Av mode at that time and the camera just lock up. Unable to duplicate this since that one time event.

I hope it is a firmware issue....and I have just updated firmware to v1.01 this morning.
01-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've experienced a runaway burst once so far, and the shooting conditions were warm.

What will be interesting to see if this is a hardware or firmware fault. If it's firmware, it will be relatively easy to fix. But it would be difficult if it's hardware related, as it will probably require a resigned motherboard.

If it's hardware-related, I'd be surprised if a public recall was announced. They'd probably not do this to save themselves a lot of money. Instead you'd probably have to approach the retailer or distributor. They would be aware of the issue and would arrange for a replacement updated camera.

Or, they could play hard-ball. This kind of fault will be almost impossible to demonstrate and they could keep denying it.

Dan.
01-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #49

Add me to the list. Happened once so far. Have reported it to CRKennedy today. Will await response and let you know
It seems fairly random considering the variety of camera configurations.
Just for the record mine is K3 silver with grip and pentax batteries. Battery charge indicated full in the body. Did not check the grip.
I think I was using Av mode with a pentax 50-135 (my favourite lens) - could have been a tamron 17-50 though. Weather was around 23C and dry.
The other weird thing was the inability of the 27 point focus gizmo to focus in non contrasty bright light. Don't remember my k7 or k5ii being this fussy. Switched to spot and then ok.
Running firmware 1.01

Last edited by Essdubbya; 01-26-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Firmware info
01-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

mirror lockup happen twice this weekend...very close to sending it in...never had this issue with k5 or k5iis
01-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
mirror lockup happen twice this weekend...very close to sending it in...never had this issue with k5 or k5iis
Are u on firmware 1.00 or 1.01?
01-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Ok. I was shooting yesterday and experienced a lockup on the camera. Can't get the camera to respond. Turn the camera off but the back LCD is still on. Try to switch on and off to no avail. Finally have to remove the grip and the battery in the body. I was using the Pentax K-3 silver with original grip with firmware v1.00. Was changing mode from User mode 3 to Av mode at that time and the camera just lock up. Unable to duplicate this since that one time event.

I hope it is a firmware issue....and I have just updated firmware to v1.01 this morning.
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
Is this related to the "shutter stutter" described in the other posts on this thread or something different?

Steve
01-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #53
Veteran Member

TBH....I am not sure....what I experienced is that the camera just become non responsive....I should have peek into the viewfinder to see if the shutter is in the up position or down position but sadly I didn't do that.

01-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

Are u on firmware 1.00 or 1.01?
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is this related to the "shutter stutter" described in the other posts on this thread or something different?

Steve
i have not updated because others said the update did not help...this was different then the shutter stutter which i also experience...in my case i didn't look at the mirror but it sounded like it and and i put the battery back in i heard it flop back down..this weekend i will try to upload latest version but not confident based on what i saw that it will help
01-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I am wondering with firmware 1.01, do people still experience any hiccups with the camera?
01-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am wondering with firmware 1.01, do people still experience any hiccups with the camera?
I was running 1.01 when I experienced the runaway mirror flops.
01-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Thanks audiobomber.....doesn't exactly give much comfort in knowing this.......
02-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by Essdubbya Quote
Add me to the list. Happened once so far. Have reported it to CRKennedy today. Will await response and let you know
It seems fairly random considering the variety of camera configurations.
Just for the record mine is K3 silver with grip and pentax batteries. Battery charge indicated full in the body. Did not check the grip.
I think I was using Av mode with a pentax 50-135 (my favourite lens) - could have been a tamron 17-50 though. Weather was around 23C and dry.
The other weird thing was the inability of the 27 point focus gizmo to focus in non contrasty bright light. Don't remember my k7 or k5ii being this fussy. Switched to spot and then ok.
Running firmware 1.01
Received a reply from the local distributor suggesting I return the camera. They think it may be a hardware issue. No car at the moment so will wait till the moment presents itself. In the meantime will be interested to see if the problem persists with firmware 1.02
02-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Henry's told me to call the Pentax service tech, because he could not reproduce the runaway mirror and could find nothing wrong with the camera. He called Japan for advice and was told they had not heard of this issue.

He installed firmware 1.02, reset all settings and is returning the K-3 to me. He believes the problem may have been caused by static electricity affecting the CPU. If it happens again, I am to pull the battery for 20 seconds to reset the CPU. He also said to format the SD card, but that's not feasible when there are already images on it. He says keep watching for FW updates because if there is a problem it will be corrected in the future.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-08-2014 at 06:24 AM.
02-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #60
Site Supporter

Just had my first occurrence of this today. Shooting indoors, Live View, TAV with both a Pentax and non-OEM battery. Batter indicators showed full charge. Screen went black during live view. Only removing the battery fixed it. When I put the battery back one showed full charge the other had "one bar" remaining. Just installed firmware 1.02 prior to this happening. Don't recall having the problem with the K-5. This NOT a nice feature! I did get my K3 as a pre-order so I guess that would make it one of the earliest. Like others I am unable to reproduce this at will.