Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 05:14 AM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm sorry it happened to you too, but it's a relief to hear it happened within the specified operating temperature.

This problem first appeared on the original K-5. I'm surprised and disappointed that it has not been resolved.
I have shot thousands of photos on my K-5 and never had this happen

03-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
I have shot thousands of photos on my K-5 and never had this happen
Some people would say the same about their K-3.
03-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #108
Site Supporter

Some people would say the same about their K-3.
Yes, that is possible. I am comparing my direct experience with both K-5 and K-3, shooting similar scenes in similar conditions. The K-3 has locked up several times. The K-5 never has. If there are others who have experienced lockup on their K-5 but not on the K-3, this would be interesting to know.
03-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
Yes, that is possible. I am comparing my direct experience with both K-5 and K-3, shooting similar scenes in similar conditions. The K-3 has locked up several times. The K-5 never has. If there are others who have experienced lockup on their K-5 but not on the K-3, this would be interesting to know.
Maybe some of these people have K-3's.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/152033-k5-mirror-flops-smoking-gun-found.html

03-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #110
Site Supporter

All I can say is the K5-II has been rock solid for over 100,000 shutter actuations... not a single problem, lockup or stray mirror-flap.
03-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
All I can say is the K5-II has been rock solid for over 100,000 shutter actuations... not a single problem, lockup or stray mirror-flap.
I've taken 71,400 shots with the K-5, before hardly touching it now since getting a K-3. Perhaps they fixed the design with the K5II model, but I've had a number of occasions where the K-5 locked up and I had to remove the battery. Never had any mirror flops with it.

Dan.
03-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I've taken 71,400 shots with the K-5, before hardly touching it now since getting a K-3. Perhaps they fixed the design with the K5II model, but I've had a number of occasions where the K-5 locked up and I had to remove the battery. Never had any mirror flops with it.

Dan.
I certainly had my share of freezes/lockups with the K-5, especially when battery gets low. I have been sharing batteries between both cameras since getting the K-3, so the same battery is not causing the same "machine-gun mirror" problems in the K-5 as it causes [for me] in the K-3.
03-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #113
Pentaxian

The K-3 is getting progressively more stable each firmware update. There are still bugs to fix, and we probably will see a 1.08 or higher as they work through them. I've had one episode of mirror flop back in December, none since, and no issues at all on my second body that is up to date with 1.03. I suspect the mirror flop is, as was in the K-5, a hardware issue, and when the problem has been sorted out and the fix put into the production stream, the service centers will get the information and parts to fix the problem.

My K-5 had sensor stains, the focus was off and the focus screen/mirror assy was misaligned. The K-3 has been considerably better; my first body was right on for focus using a recently fixed and calibrated DA*300. The second one is as good.

03-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #114
Site Supporter

Firmware: not my experience at all. With each firmware, I've had the same lockups. And the first shoot I had with 1.02 caused a lockup the corrupted the whole SD card. The K3 has been better in every way than the K5, but not in the reliability department... and when compared to the K5-II, there's no contest. I hope Pentax can fix the K3 with firmware, but so far, it hasn't.
03-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #115
Forum Member

I had the problem last week with V1.02. Besides it being an embarrassing problem (was at Anhinga trail in the Everglades with about 15 other photographers looking on) my shutter now makes a slightly different sound. I hope no damage was done.

I posted the problem on the Pentax site and called both the US and Canada about it. The guy on the phone in the US said he had never heard of the problem. The tech in Canada said he had heard of it and would send my information in ot Ricoh Japan, but was not aware that they has specifically reproduced or solved the problem. He suggested upgrading to V1.03.

Has anyone had the problem with occur with V1.03?
03-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #116
Site Supporter

Bill...

See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254464-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...ours-here.html
add your report to that thread too if you could

Yes, I've had the problem with 1.03. I shot video of it (at the above link).
03-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
I posted the problem on the Pentax site and called both the US and Canada about it. The guy on the phone in the US said he had never heard of the problem. The tech in Canada said he had heard of it and would send my information in ot Ricoh Japan, but was not aware that they has specifically reproduced or solved the problem. He suggested upgrading to V1.03.
Was the Canadian tech named Simon? if so he looked at my camera in early January and could not reproduce the issue. He told me Pentax Japan had never heard of the problem. Hopefully they've heard loud and clear by now.

I only had the one incident.
03-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #118

Mirror Flap similar to K-5?

I have just read the posts relating to mirror flap in K-5's.
Seems to relate to charge in battery(s) though I don't know if it was eventually resolved
Any thoughts?
03-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #119
Forum Member

Was the Canadian tech named Simon? if so he looked at my camera in early January and could not reproduce the issue. He told me Pentax Japan had never heard of the problem. Hopefully they've heard loud and clear by now.

I only had the one incident.
I didn't get his name.
06-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #120

I have never had shutter stutter with my K-5 (whether or not I have used original Pentax batteries or the mush cheaper imports). However, I have had this shutter stutter problem repeatedly with my K3 and I only use the original Pentax batteries in it. The only way I can get it to stop is to remove the battery from the camera. I do not use a battery grip with my cameras. I have one for my K5 but prefer to keep an extra battery or 2 in my pocket. I have noticed that the autofocus on my Pentax cameras does not work as well when my batteries are less than fully charged; especially in low light situations.