Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Nope, I was using a genuine Pentax battery.
+1. Both original.

11-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #17

Same happened to mine last weekend....

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Backa Quote
I had the same happen to me today. In aperture Prio then went from spot AF to full auto and my K-3 went all machinegunny. No grip, original battery.
11-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
+1.

Couldn't replicate either. I had official GRIP when it happened.
No grip here: Just a sigma lens and nothing else notable.
11-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
Banned

Yep, same thing happened to me on Saturday, in the middle of shooting a wedding!!!

It was low on battery, and replacing batteries seemed to solve the issue.

I had never heard of this issue with previous Pentax cameras before (the K10 / K20 never did it), so I almost had a heart failure when it happened four or five times in a row!

11-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
Banned

This happening for any others?

I keen for this thread to remain where it can be seen (and the issue rectified) by Pentax/Ricoh eyes!
11-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This happened for me for the second time this morning, I still can't replicate but at least it's not a ONE TIME event

It was at the very beginning of my shooting session and I had no problem after this. But it happened at one of the worst time in the session as I was shooting some close up swans taking off with some amazing light in the background
Too bad.

DimC
12-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I posted elsewhere, but same thing happened to me. Manual mode. 2-second delay. 18-135mm WR lens. Autofocus. Shake compensation off. No AA filter. Fresh Pentax battery. Triggered the shutter, and it went machine-gun on me. Turned it off; it finally stopped. It took no pictures, but when looking through the viewfinder, the image was very cloudy and spotted. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that it was the mirror flopping up and down rapidly, since no picture was taken. I've not been able to replicate it. New firmware, anyone?

John

12-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I posted elsewhere, but same thing happened to me. Manual mode. 2-second delay. 18-135mm WR lens. Autofocus. Shake compensation off. No AA filter. Fresh Pentax battery. Triggered the shutter, and it went machine-gun on me. Turned it off; it finally stopped. It took no pictures, but when looking through the viewfinder, the image was very cloudy and spotted. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that it was the mirror flopping up and down rapidly, since no picture was taken. I've not been able to replicate it. New firmware, anyone?

John
This happened to me for the first time this morning and it actually did it a few times. It does seem like the mirror is rapidly flopping up and down. My battery was low (genuine Pentax battery) and I had my grip attached (genuine grip) with some rechargeable AA batteries in it. I quickly turned it off both times then back on again and it seemed fine. Any ideas why this is happening? Should I be thinking about sending my camera back? Or just wait for updated firmware?

Also on a separate note - I have a question about the K-3 battery grip (D-BG5), how do I know that it's definitely providing additional battery power to the body? The reason I ask is that when attaching the grip to my body and turning it on the LCD doesn't seem to update to show me the additional battery power. E.g. if my battery three quarters full then I put the grip on I would expect the camera to show the battery charge as full - is that how it works? Btw I am using AA batteries with the AA holder in the grip and not a lithium battery.

Cheers

Alex
12-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Also on a separate note - I have a question about the K-3 battery grip (D-BG5), how do I know that it's definitely providing additional battery power to the body? The reason I ask is that when attaching the grip to my body and turning it on the LCD doesn't seem to update to show me the additional battery power. E.g. if my battery three quarters full then I put the grip on I would expect the camera to show the battery charge as full - is that how it works? Btw I am using AA batteries with the AA holder in the grip and not a lithium battery.
The camera doesn't draw power from the body's battery and the grip's battery at the same time, it only draws power from one, then switches to the other when the first is depleted. You can choose which battery to prioritize in the menu.
12-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
The camera doesn't draw power from the body's battery and the grip's battery at the same time, it only draws power from one, then switches to the other when the first is depleted. You can choose which battery to prioritize in the menu.
Nice one thanks for the heads-up, that makes sense - I've since found that setting in the menu
12-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter

low battery issue

I had this same issue on one of my first days of shooting with K3. Was able to replicate with both a 3rd party and pentax battery. I found that a very low battery level combined with a long duration shutter (1s or longer) would cause it to go crazy and only pulling the battery stopped it.

I have also noticed funky behavior in my K5 when the battery gets low, but nothing as annoying as this.

I now make sure I keep the batteries well charged and carry spares on any lengthy outing. as long as battery doesn't get too low, no issue. My guess is that it'll get fixed in a firmware update eventually, as it is very noticeable (and maybe damaging to mirror if it happened enough?)
12-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #27
Inactive Account

I had the same problem yesterday. I took out the battery. There weren't any images on the card...
12-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #28
Banned

Well, Firmware 1.01 just came out so lets see if the "Improved stability for general performance" fixes the issue.

Just in time as well. I'm taking my K-3 on it's second wedding outing tomorrow, and I was really hoping not to have a repeat of the tantrums it threw the last time (I could do without the added stress, and embarrassment)
12-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Backa Quote
I had the same happen to me today. In aperture Prio then went from spot AF to full auto and my K-3 went all machinegunny. No grip, original battery.
Hi,
I had the same problem, like a machine gun happened 2 times. Also many times power on problems. I'm using battery grip. Worried of the machine gun issue. Sounded like 20fps. Could not be good for mechanics.
12-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #30
Jon

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Well, Firmware 1.01 just came out so lets see if the "Improved stability for general performance" fixes the issue.

Just in time as well. I'm taking my K-3 on it's second wedding outing tomorrow, and I was really hoping not to have a repeat of the tantrums it threw the last time (I could do without the added stress, and embarrassment)
Better Luck with firmware 1.02. I updated to 1.01 this morning. Got in a new flash later in the day, and was playing with HSS. Manual mode, OEM battery. I turned the flash off and took another exposure. Machine-gun Camera ensued.