Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Quote
Better Luck with firmware 1.02. I updated to 1.01 this morning. Got in a new flash later in the day, and was playing with HSS. Manual mode, OEM battery. I turned the flash off and took another exposure. Machine-gun Camera ensued.
Rats. HOW SOON IS FIRMWARE VERSION 1.02 COMING OUT? PENTAX? ARE YOU THERE? HELLO?

John

12-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the problem several times and no pictures on my major outing before Thanksgivings. Has been fine since that one cold morning ~mid-upper 30 degrees F. Had Pentax grip and batteries. Started a chat session with Pentax U.S. support and they suggested sending it in. I told them that I would after the new year. I suggest folks contacted Pentax support also so they have a better sense of the number of customers with the problem. The more the better to get an update, assuming the issue is firmware related.
12-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #33
Jon

Thanks agchang, will do.
12-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Quote
Better Luck with firmware 1.02. I updated to 1.01 this morning. Got in a new flash later in the day, and was playing with HSS. Manual mode, OEM battery. I turned the flash off and took another exposure. Machine-gun Camera ensued.
No such bother for me (as yet). I ran the first set of batteries into the 'red' and it behaved itself nicely.

01-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the runaway shutter problem yesterday. I was out in the cold, about -17C. I pressed the shutter release and it kept firing until I opened the battery compartment. It did this in burst mode, single shot and even video mode, each time I touched the shutter release. No images were recorded. I tested later at home and the problem was gone. The camera is going back to Henry's.

I've been trying to glimpse a gyrfalcon that's been seen in the area. I discovered the camera problem when I tried to shoot the gyrfalcon being mobbed by a flock of ravens. I am seriously annoyed. I've used my K20D in more severe temperatures and it did not fail me like this.
01-19-2014, 02:02 AM   #36
s76

Same here. Today morning it was about -18C. I had two batteries with me, one Pentax and one Hähnel. I had taken pictures one hour when it first happens. First battery, Hähnel, was not even half way down when shutter kept firing until I opened battery compartment. It did that three times when repeated. Then I switched battery to Pentax, and same result. All the time I used AV-mode, AF with single spot and single shot.

Then I put camera under my jacket for 10 minutes. I allowed me to take pictures for one minute before it repeated to act like machine gun.

K5 never did that. My K3 is firmware 1.01. That was first time though I was taken pictures at cold temperature before.

Should I contact service or wait for firmware 1.02 or do some further test to find reason for that?

-Sami-
01-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

mine just did it yesterday...was using tav mode...been shooting oem battery for several hours (not hardcore, shot here and there)..battery still showing full charge...no change in af settings (using spot, single focus, multiple shots)...da300 lens....outdoors...temperature in 40s...used shutter button...suddenly went bonsai...shut off, on, off and about to go for battery when it stopped...no pictures acquired when it did it....not happy

Manufacture Date 2013:10:13

Shutter Count 7,407

one other thing I have notice from day 1 when you turn off the camera the battery indicator does not immediately go away..slight delay

01-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
...temperature in 40s...
I'm sorry it happened to you too, but it's a relief to hear it happened within the specified operating temperature.

This problem first appeared on the original K-5. I'm surprised and disappointed that it has not been resolved.
01-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm sorry it happened to you too, but it's a relief to hear it happened within the specified operating temperature.

This problem first appeared on the original K-5. I'm surprised and disappointed that it has not been resolved.
dan hopefully enough people can say what they were doing when it happen and we can figure it out...fingers and toes crossed...
01-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #40

Just had my K3, do the machine gun shutter fire on me in the studio yesterday. Shooting in manual mode because i was using strobes), no grip. Had to turn the camera off and on twice to get it to stop. Continued shooting for another hour without re-occurance, but obviously disconcerting. Can we please make Pentax aware of this in numbers.
Jon Lisbon
01-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have had the same issue last weekend. Removed & replaced (same ) battery).
01-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lisbon Quote
Can we please make Pentax aware of this in numbers.
Jon Lisbon
I sent mine to Pentax Canada a week ago. I haven't had any word back but I'll keep this thread updated.
01-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I had the issues this weekend. Av mode, fresh battery, fresh card, exterior temp around 10 Celsius. if it happens again I'll send it to Pentax
01-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I sent mine to Pentax Canada a week ago. I haven't had any word back but I'll keep this thread updated.
It happened to me once, and not since. About two weeks ago. If it happens again I'll send it in.

I'd be curious to see what they do. It doesn't seem uncommon, so they probably have an idea what is causing it and have a fix. I would hope so.
01-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #45

Photos: Gallery
Just to add a data point... the reason I'm reading this thread is that the same thing happened to me today. Fully charged original battery, firmware 1.01, no grip attached, in high-speed drive mode when it happened. 3 Degrees Celsius outside, lowest temperature I've used it so far. It scared the heck out of me, but didn't repeat itself the rest of the afternoon. Couldn't help but think of the recent passing of colonel Kalashnikov when it happened...

Last edited by OJGoreng; 01-25-2014 at 10:52 AM.