Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Odd shutter issue - "firmware 1.0" problem?

I was out in the field with the K-3 today and had a rather odd thing to happen. I was in manual mode and had just set my aperture and shutter speed, but I realized I needed to reset my AF mode from spot to something else. I set it to default (auto 27) and went to take my picture, and the shutter seemed to get "stuck". The camera seemed to be taking a long stream of captures without actually taking them. All the controls were locked and even turning the camera off didn't stop it; I needed to remove the battery to stop it. Is this some strange firmware glitch, or a problem with drive mode shooting in general?

11-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you follow the same sequence of steps, can the problem be reproduced?
And were you using a grip?
11-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No grip. Oddly enough I wasn't able to recreate the scenario. I guess I'll keep an eye out for it and note what I'm doing with the camera.
11-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That sounds like the infamous mirror flop problem on the k-5. Do a search to see if symptoms are similar.

11-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That sounds like the infamous mirror flop problem on the k-5. Do a search to see if symptoms are similar.
Yep, it seems that way - shutter clicking madly for no apparent reason. Oddly, the battery wasn't fully charged when this happened, though, as seems to be the case with the other examples of mirror flop on the K-5 and K-r, which is why I wonder if this is a firmware issue and not a voltage issue. I will probably have to take my original K-5 to the VCU vs. Virginia game tomorrow night as added insurance in case it happens again.
11-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #6

I had the same thing happen to my new k3. Was shooting my sons soccer game and it happened just as you described. I am strongly considering returning it to b&h for exchange. Have not been able to replicate problem.
11-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took the K-3 to tonight's game and had no issues with it. I'm sending it back to LensRentals tomorrow (Wednesday), so I'll probably note that it happened, but hasn't happened since. It might be a bad copy.

11-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #8

I've had exactly the same thing. Unable to replicate.
11-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nostrildamus Quote
I've had exactly the same thing. Unable to replicate.
+1.

Couldn't replicate either. I had official GRIP when it happened.
11-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

(So far) the issue seems to happen once, then does not reappear, and can't be manually reproduced. Will be interesting to track this over time.

Some of these issues can be weird though. In the first few days of using my K-5 I had a strange shutter problem and the camera could only be reset by removing the battery. Two years of usage later, I've never seen that problem again. As if the new camera software/hardware needed to be 'run-in', or something.
11-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Are you guys using third party batteries by any chance? Bad ones can make cameras go crazy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same happen to me today. In aperture Prio then went from spot AF to full auto and my K-3 went all machinegunny. No grip, original battery.
11-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had shutter stutter today as well, almost discharged battery(non original) in the grip, OEM battery in the body. I havn't looked at the old threads, but I recall this was an issue with the first edition firmware for the K-5 as well (please correct me here)

I swapped out the batteries for the two fresh ones I had in the chargers, and the camera has been going strong ever since.

I'm not overly worried about the phenomena yet. I think it was a voltage sense issue with the K-5 (if I recall) and I think it was corrected with a firmware update.
11-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you guys using third party batteries by any chance? Bad ones can make cameras go crazy.
Nope, I was using a genuine Pentax battery.
11-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me with my K-30 several months ago. Had to remove the battery to stop it shooting. It was just the one time though and never happened again. I was also using the standard Pentax battery and the 18-35 WR lens.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens often. I guess it's just one of those odd things that can happen once in a while.