Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hopefully all these quirks get resolved through firmware. When I spoke with Pentax at photoplus, they said that the flucard wouldn't be finalized until December, and that all they had in the office was a very early prototype (they couldn't get it to work at the show), so I'm surprised that the flucards are already shipping in Australia. I hope that they didn't end up shipping the beta versions!
Well, it is CRK we are talking about Adam, so anything is possible.

My understanding is that they are doing the 'free eye-fi' stunt to help them compete with the latest canikons. At least this works even in this unrecognised mode. A friend of mine with a brand new Canon (err 60d??, whats the latest release?) couldn't get his IN BUILT wifi connection to work at all. Good luck getting a replacement 'flucard' for that camera.

I too am confident this is an early adopter problem and a firmware update will fix it.


Last edited by wizofoz; 11-12-2013 at 03:01 AM.
11-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,893
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Interesting, On page 112 of my PDF manual it says 'printed in Philippines''
Aha. I just downloaded the K-3 manual from Pentax Japan and it now says:
'53034 ... R01DTH13 Printed in the Philippines'. I guess that is the final 'official' K-3 manual.
My other manual was downloaded from Ricoh Europe very early on, and must be an older draft.

The new 'Printed in Philippines' manual also has PDF bookmarks/TOC visible in it. And whilst the old manual let me copy and paste text out of it, the new one doesn't let you do that anymore.

Always something new to learn.
11-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
Original Poster
keep hold of that old manual, being able to copy and paste is very valuable. It would have saved me typing out quite a bit of text today
11-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
Original Poster
Deleted due to stupidity.

11-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Senior Member
VTerlakyPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 106
Maybe I'm completely wrong here, so please correct me if so, but I thought that the Flu and Eye-Fi technologies are very different things.

The K-3 can work with any generic Eye-Fi card to transfer images wirelessly, but it can only work with the Pentax specific Flu card (to be released at a later date). The advantage of the Flu over the Eye-Fi is that you'd have tethering capability too, not only wireless image transfer. So they are completely different systems.

Also, I'm not sure that if a Flu card is inserted you can use the Eye-Fi image transfer protocol, they are different things. In other words, you said that you inserted a generic Flu card (may or may not be compatible with the K-3 to begin with), and then tried to use Eye-Fi transfer and the camera rightfully said that it didn't recognize an Eye-Fi card (since you had a Flu card inserted). Or did I read something wrong?
11-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #21
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Outer East
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Interesting, On page 112 of my PDF manual it says 'printed in Philippines''
Dunno what the printed one says, as I have not even taken it out of the plastic wrapper.
I must check my box to see if a manual was supplied.
11-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VTerlakyPhoto Quote
Maybe I'm completely wrong here, so please correct me if so, but I thought that the Flu and Eye-Fi technologies are very different things.

The K-3 can work with any generic Eye-Fi card to transfer images wirelessly, but it can only work with the Pentax specific Flu card (to be released at a later date). The advantage of the Flu over the Eye-Fi is that you'd have tethering capability too, not only wireless image transfer. So they are completely different systems.

Also, I'm not sure that if a Flu card is inserted you can use the Eye-Fi image transfer protocol, they are different things. In other words, you said that you inserted a generic Flu card (may or may not be compatible with the K-3 to begin with), and then tried to use Eye-Fi transfer and the camera rightfully said that it didn't recognize an Eye-Fi card (since you had a Flu card inserted). Or did I read something wrong?
Hi thanks for contributing.

You are correct, there will indeed be two versions of the flu card the - generic one, which was supplied 'free' with the Australian distribution of the K-3, and they yet to be released Pentax version which will have the tethering facility. The generic card is just a standard wireless card as far as I know - by definition a "wireless memory card"

The flu card I received with the camera does communicate with the K-3, and the (K-5 for that matter). I can download images wirelessly to my i-pad or my PC.

However- the K-3 refuses to accept that a wireless memory card is inserted in slot 2. I thought this to be odd. The jury is still out till someone inserts a different type of wireless card in a K-3, or the new Pentax flu card comes out in a month or so.

Last edited by wizofoz; 11-16-2013 at 07:10 AM.
11-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GTA
Posts: 61
I just got an Eye-fi card to test with my new K3. (16 GB Pro X2)

I can confirm that when inserting the card into SD slot 2, the camera does recognize the card and you see the options shown in a previous post above.

There is also a "WI-FI" indicator on the top LCD showing when the WI-FI on the card is on. You can even turn off the WI-FI from the K3 menu if you want it to behave as a regular SD card. Haven't played with this combination too much yet otherwise.

11-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
New Member
BeetleStuff's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Rock, NSW
Posts: 24
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
However- the K-3 refuses to accept that a wireless memory card is inserted in slot 2.
Smart camera - I also refuse to have anything more to do with the Flucard supplied with my K3.

I have no desire to cook my K3 to a slow death from the inside out. My Flu card will not work and becomes extremely hot when used.
In my opinion Flu card may have dumped a defective production run on Australia.

Last edited by BeetleStuff; 11-19-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: clarity
03-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
Original Poster
OK, several months and 3 firmware iterations later, and the problem with my K-3 recognising it has a wireless card located in slot 2 still exists. Does anyone else stll have this problem? Has anyone found a fix for it?

I've never tried inserting a different wireless card, mainly because I don't have one, so it is still possible that the fault lies it he card and not the camera.

I have noticed this morning while fiddling with things that my flucard now 'beeps' while inserted in slot 1, indicating that something has changed in firmware - Im pretty sure this didnt happen last time I tried it.

Edit: OK, I just tried it, and the flucard file transfer works from either slot 1 or 2.

Last edited by wizofoz; 03-10-2014 at 04:49 AM. Reason: addittional info
03-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
Must admit I'm a little confused

1 a flucard <> eye-fi
2 a flucard <> O-FC1

The Eye-fi support in the k3 firmware is just that Eye-fi support and not any other make.
A generic Eye-fi card is an eye-fi card sold under franchise by another manufacturer such as San-disk (not Flu)
O-FC1 support in the k3 firmware is also just that and not Generic Flu

There is no generic Flucard support within the k3 , Generic Flucards do not require Support and will function in either slot.

The flu card will beep to indicate its status , booting, initialized etc.
03-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #27
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Must admit I'm a little confused

1 a flucard <> eye-fi
2 a flucard <> O-FC1

The Eye-fi support in the k3 firmware is just that Eye-fi support and not any other make.
A generic Eye-fi card is an eye-fi card sold under franchise by another manufacturer such as San-disk (not Flu)
O-FC1 support in the k3 firmware is also just that and not Generic Flu

There is no generic Flucard support within the k3 , Generic Flucards do not require support and will function in either slot.

The flu card will beep to indicate its status , booting, initialized etc.
I apologise if the basis of the question was not clear.

Like most Australian early adopters, I recieved the generic Flu card (not the pentax specific O-FC1) with my K-3 purchase.

My K-3 has never recognised that a "wireless' card is inserted in slot 2. My understanding is that this is abberant behaviour and that others have K-3's that not only recognise the generic Flu card, but are able to perform some measure of control from the K-3 menu system. (e.g. turn the wireless network on and off) Maybe i've misunderstood

I'm simply trying to find out if I'm alone in the K-3 universe, or if others have had the same problem, and what if anything I can do about it. As far as i can work out, my only two options are - get another wireless card (flu-card or any other make) and test the function, or - have the camera replaced/repaired.
03-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
Not sure where you got the idea anyone is using a 'flu-card' with the built in camera bios control?

the manual states

"A memory card with a built-in wireless LAN “Eye-Fi card” (Wi-Fitransmission) or a “Flucard” compatible with this camera can be used.

As I said an Eye-fi card is not a flu card and an O-FC1 (Flucard” compatible with this camera) is not a 'flucard'

So no function of the K3's firmware will allow any control or transference using a generic flu card....You have to use the Apps supplied by Trek2000.
:::: Flucard pro ::::

The manual is a bit confusing using the term 'flucard' where they mean O-FC1.
03-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Not sure where you got the idea anyone is using a 'flu-card' with the built in camera bios control?

the manual states

"A memory card with a built-in wireless LAN “Eye-Fi card” (Wi-Fitransmission) or a “Flucard” compatible with this camera can be used.

As I said an Eye-fi card is not a flu card and an O-FC1 (Flucard” compatible with this camera) is not a 'flucard'

So no function of the K3's firmware will allow any control or transference using a generic flu card....You have to use the Apps supplied by Trek2000.
:::: Flucard pro ::::

The manual is a bit confusing using the term 'flucard' where they mean O-FC1.
I got the idea from the manual which says that a wi fi card will enable menu's on the K-3. A generic flu card is most certainly a wi fi card, so why does the K-3 refuse to recognise its presence?

I got the idea from other posts, such as above where people are inserting wi-fi cards in their k-3 and using the menu functions for on/off/auto.

So,it is looking likely that the glitch is with the flu card and not the k-3. If CRK has the Pentax version of the flu card in stock today, I'll buy one and see if that solves the problem. I'll be nearby to the CRK headquarters today so I'll take the K-3 for a visit.
03-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #30
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 81
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I apologise if the basis of the question was not clear.

Like most Australian early adopters, I recieved the generic Flu card (not the pentax specific O-FC1) with my K-3 purchase.

My K-3 has never recognised that a "wireless' card is inserted in slot 2. My understanding is that this is abberant behaviour and that others have K-3's that not only recognise the generic Flu card, but are able to perform some measure of control from the K-3 menu system. (e.g. turn the wireless network on and off) Maybe i've misunderstood

I'm simply trying to find out if I'm alone in the K-3 universe, or if others have had the same problem, and what if anything I can do about it. As far as i can work out, my only two options are - get another wireless card (flu-card or any other make) and test the function, or - have the camera replaced/repaired.
wizofoz, my K3 behaves the same as yours with the standard Flu-card (the 8Gb card supplied by CRK).

However, I do not believe that there exists a fault with either my K3 or the Flu-card. The card operates "agnostically" of the camera via view and delete operations - it works the same in my K-3 as it does in my K10D. Can you clarify how you expect your K3 to operate with the standard Flu-card?

Eye-fi and Flu are not just different brands of card, they are different technology. In my understanding, the cards which the K3 will actually recognize are the Eye-fi and the O-FC1.

I believe that the standard Flu-card works as advertised, and that your camera is fine.

Paul
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
card, dslr, error, eye-fi, k-3, k3, menu, pentax k-3, sd2, slot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EYE-FI card 4 GB, on clearance at Radio Shack PBandJ Pentax Price Watch 2 10-08-2013 06:22 PM
Eye-fi card questions vievetrick Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 07-01-2013 06:57 PM
Eye-Fi Card Falling Apart On Me EarlVonTapia Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 06-13-2013 11:09 AM
For Sale - Sold: NEW Toshiba FlashAir 8GB Wireless SD Card (like Eye-Fi) Aegon Sold Items 3 01-25-2013 01:12 PM
eye-fi / sandisk eye-fi sd card with Q thehetfield Pentax Q 5 11-16-2012 04:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top