Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I just checked an image I shot last night and put on Flickr. Flickr seems to know what lens I used. I use LR 4 to download and process.

Exif | IMGP0552 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I did another test with the jpg You linked to in Your previous post, and voila: there's lense info in it. LR as well as exiftool have data for Lense Modell (DA* 60-250), so K-3's exif-data depends on the lense used?

Ralf

11-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
Really? I did the same and exiftool only read the FocalLenght and the Aperture exif headers, the name of the lense isn't listed. It's probably true what rawr said, namely that ricoh changed the format of the exif-headers slightly (even if it's hard to imagine for me why they did so...).

Greetings,

Ralf
Ralf, I used exiftool 9.01 Linux.
11-12-2013, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Kim, I suspect that software is modifying the EXIF data at some point. I checked a jpeg straight out my own K-3 and the EXIF I read using exiftool v. 9.01 is very comprehensive. The EXIF from your jpegs on Zenfolio seem quite stripped down?

PM me if you would like to send me a jpeg straight from your camera using the lens you used previously, and I can read the EXIF and send you back a copy of the EXIF text.
11-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Paul for the offer. I will PM you if I still need help. I am going to download exiftool and see what the exif data says.

I asked my brother who is a Pentax user about the EXIF information missing before I posted here. He also asked me to send him a JPEG and a DNG file. he said the Lens information for my Sigma 30mm was there in Lightroom for the DNG file however it wasn't there for the JPEG. Actually, in Lightroom it didn't identify it as a Sigma 30mm but just a Sigma.

11-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Thanks Paul for the offer. I will PM you if I still need help. I am going to download exiftool and see what the exif data says.
No worries Kim.
11-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I noticed this last night as well. I'm imported a bunch of vacation photos into Lightroom. Most were JPG, but others were DNG files that I had converted from PEF using the Digital Camera Utility. It seemed the lens name for all my DNGs were normal, but it could not identify the lenses for the JPGs. This was for the DA21, DA40XS, DA70, and DA 18-135. And I'm also getting a weird green cast to all those DNGs. Weird.
11-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Lightroom 5.2 seems to read lens info fine from K-3 DNG files but not from in-camera JPEGs.

PhotoME misses the Lens name from both DNG and JPEG images. It also misses the entire "Manufacturer Notes" section, the one that provides info about the camera's build date, Shutter count, etc. The information is in the file since you can see it if you use the Pentax Forums tool.
11-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
Pentaxian

FWIW, exiftool has recently been updated (v9.41) to include some additional K-3 info, and cope better with K-3 files.

11-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
FWIW, exiftool has recently been updated (v9.41) to include some additional K-3 info, and cope better with K-3 files.

Thanks! The new version works much better. I can see all the EXIF data both from DNG and JPEG files.
11-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
I am using iPhoto and it doesn't list the lens information.
My semi-educated guess is that iPhoto is using the same system-based camera database that powers Aperture. And Apple has not updated Mavericks to incorporate the K-3. So if you go from iPhoto>Zenfolio, the EXIF data simply won't pass because it wasn't there to begin with. With K-3 DNGs it seems that if you use Adobe's DNG converter to strangely convert from DNG to DNG, the EXIF data may be more usable on the Apple post-processing software. And Mac-based Lightroom and ACR seems to read the EXIF data straight out of the camera.
RE: the Pentax digital software, I haven't had to use it so cannot comment.

M