Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens information missing in EXIF

I just received a K-3 and noticed that all of my images are missing the lens information in the EXIF no matter which lens I use. The EXIF states the focal length but is missing which lens I'm using. Does that mean the camera is defective since it happens with all lenses? It has always just appeared whenever I've uploaded images with my K-r. Am I missing something?

11-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
How are you reading the exif information? Can you post a sample file?

I just pulled a K3 dng from the new review, and read the exif - including lens name - using exiftool.
11-12-2013, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Your camera isn't defective. For EXIF information like lens information to be displayed, your image software needs to know how the information is recorded in the camera EXIF.

It seems the K-3 has introduced a few changes into the way camera and lens EXIF is written, so most EXIF reading sotware (Lightroom, Aperture etc included) will need to be updated to reflect those changes in order to read all the data recorded by the camera.

There's currently a whole thread or two about it over at the other forum. Handily, the author of exiftool (Phil Harvey) is a participant in the thread over there and is aware of the K-3 changes. So an update to exiftool that is K-3 aware may be coming soon (v9.41?). Many downstream tools rely on exiftool so will probably inherit the changes, but others that don't will have to make their own modifications in order to properly read the EXIF in K-3 RAWs and JPGs.

The one tool at the moment that should have the ability to read all the camera EXIF would be Pentax Digital Camera Utility v5, included with the camera. How does that read and display your lens information?
11-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote

I just pulled a K3 dng from the new review, and read the exif - including lens name - using exiftool.
This shot is a jpeg image. I used my Pentax 18-135. I am using iPhoto and it doesn't list the lens information. Nor does it list it on Zenfolio if I upload images there or with an exif tool for Chrome. Sorry, it isn't an image of anything exciting but a plant in my front yard with the first bit of snow this winter.

I've attached it and linked it on Zenfolio.

Attached Images

11-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote

Really? I did the same and exiftool only read the FocalLenght and the Aperture exif headers, the name of the lense isn't listed. It's probably true what rawr said, namely that ricoh changed the format of the exif-headers slightly (even if it's hard to imagine for me why they did so...).

Greetings,

Ralf
11-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

The one tool at the moment that should have the ability to read all the camera EXIF would be Pentax Digital Camera Utility v5, included with the camera. How does that read and display your lens information?
I haven't tried that nor did I even think about it. I will do that later today and reply back on this thread. My power is about to go out for 4 hours while the electric company works on something in my neighborhood.

Thank you all so much for the replies. Since I didn't see any threads about the lens information missing from EXIF I thought perhaps it was just my camera or that it was something simple I just wasn't doing or misreading in some way.
11-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It seems the K-3 has introduced a few changes into the way camera and lens EXIF is written, so most EXIF reading sotware (Lightroom, Aperture etc included) will need to be updated to reflect those changes in order to read all the data recorded by the camera.
I shoot DNG. Lightroom 3.6 (released a long time ago) knows what lens is on my K-3.

11-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I shoot DNG. Lightroom 3.6 (released a long time ago) knows what lens is on my K-3.
But as you well know, since you've been a participant in the discussions in the other forum, there are many changes to the K-3 EXIF that may require a lot of image reading software to adapt. I think it's not clear even in LR whether it is picking up all of the information in the K-3 DNGs due to some of the changes in how the EXIF record is formed, let alone the introduction of some entirely new data fields.
11-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

Original Poster

I just tried to use the Pentax Digital Utility v5 and the Lens Model on all the lenses just has ---
11-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
I just tried to use the Pentax Digital Utility v5 and the Lens Model on all the lenses just has ---
That is disappointing. Was that on DNG or JPEG? And with a standard Pentax lens mounted, like the kit lens?

PDCU should know all about EXIF written by the K-3. Looks like Ricoh still need to bring PDCU 5 up to speed with the K-3.
11-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
That is disappointing. Was that on DNG or JPEG? And with a standard Pentax lens mounted, like the kit lens?

PDCU should know all about EXIF written by the K-3. Looks like Ricoh still need to bring PDCU 5 up to speed with the K-3.
It is with the JPEG above and any lens. This particular lens is the Pentax 18-135 WR. Do I need to return my camera if others can see the lens information for their lenses?
11-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Do I need to return my camera if others can see the lens information for their lenses?
No, the camera is not broken. If you are really desperate to see what other users see, do as Barry suggested and give Lightroom or the latest Adobe DNG convertor a try on some of your DNG's. Or try another [free] RAW processor like RAW Therapee on one of your DNG's.

Otherwise just wait for an exiftool update to authoritatively confirm that your lens data is indeed living in your K-3 EXIF, or wait for Apple to update all of its software to work with the K-3.
11-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just checked an image I shot last night and put on Flickr. Flickr seems to know what lens I used. I use LR 4 to download and process.

QuoteQuote:
Lens Info 60-250mm f/4
Lens Model smc PENTAX-DA*60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM
Exif | IMGP0552 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
11-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I just checked an image I shot last night and put on Flickr. Flickr seems to know what lens I used. I use LR 4 to download and process.

Exif | IMGP0552 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hm, not with my version of LR (4.4). I don't own a K-3, so I took the first DNG from Adams sample images. LR tells me it was a 21mm lense, but not which one. exiftool says LenseType: unknown (7 207). Strange.

Ralf
11-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm also having no problems with this issue.

My Lens ID is coming through in Flickr, Adobe Bridge, and LR. Also Exiftools has no problems giving me the lens ID from my K-3.dngs.