Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I overheard the owner of one of our local camera stores saying that he thinks that memory cards are so cheap and that hard drives and writeable CDs/DVDs so unreliable that every time he fills a card he buys new card. In other words, SD cards alone are his long-term storage strategy. I don't think I could afford to buy new Sandisk Extreme cards every time I filled cards.
Nice line from the store guy, but which makes more sense:
- 30 x 64gb cards at say $25 = $750
- 1 x 2Tb external hard drive = say, $120
You could have three generations of backup for the backup and still be well ahead, without having to keep track of all the cards.

---------- Post added 11-07-15 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Nice link, Des. The chart confirms what Adam has long indicated - you are wasting your money buying cards that outperform the camera buffer. I did similar tests and came to the same conclusion. I went with the Sandisk Extreme Plus, but even the slower Extreme pretty much matches that (I'm not sure if the Extreme can handle full HD video without a glitch, though).
Yes. The UHS-II cards in particular are a waste of money - the Toshiba Exceria Pro ($150 for 32gb) being a striking example.

11-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Geez,

Not only back up on that external hard drive at home, but put the processed stuff (at a minimum) on a cloud drive. Not only is that double back up cheaper, there's no way you can lose the home backup (fire, flood, quake) at the same time as the cloud goes down. I can imagine any number of ways you lose your cards. One of the brighter and inventive people I know does that very thing - buy new cards rather than back up. Odd blind spot.