Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

The one thing that they should have taken from the K-01….

….is the red button! It seemed like a no brainer to me, but apparently not to Pentax engineers….

So, I know, the K-01 is a maligned stepchild of the Pentax family. It dumps the ergonomics of all the previous K-mount dSLRs for a brick shape. It attempts to look retro, but fails. Its big, its slow, it doesn't have wireless flash capabilities. It doesn't do live view through the HDMI port. There is no optional EVF, and the back screen is stuck in place.

I get it, its not the best camera Pentax put out. But I have to tell you, its an endearing camera to me, and I have to say I think it gets some things in video right that the K-3 does not.

And it all comes down to the Red, and to a lesser degree, Green buttons.

To me, this is where the K-01 shines. If I set the video settings in the main menu, it will use those settings when I am in video mode. But if I press the Red button, I start recording in any mode I am in, and I use the ISO and other settings of that mode. I think that is awesome, as really it means I can flip through settings on the fly.

With it, I hardly ever shoot in video mode.

But with the K3, Pentax does not go with a Red button. Heck they get rid of one of the Green programmable buttons. Instead we get a switch to go between the two functionalities. I think if they would replace that switch with a red button, which if the camera is not in LV mode, it goes into it, and the button goes live for recording, I think that would be an improvement from what the reviews show for the video capture.

11-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
….is the red button! It seemed like a no brainer to me, but apparently not to Pentax engineers….

So, I know, the K-01 is a maligned stepchild of the Pentax family. It dumps the ergonomics of all the previous K-mount dSLRs for a brick shape. It attempts to look retro, but fails. Its big, its slow, it doesn't have wireless flash capabilities. It doesn't do live view through the HDMI port. There is no optional EVF, and the back screen is stuck in place.

I get it, its not the best camera Pentax put out. But I have to tell you, its an endearing camera to me, and I have to say I think it gets some things in video right that the K-3 does not.

To me, this is where the K-01 shines. If I set the video settings in the main menu, it will use those settings when I am in video mode. But if I press the Red button, I start recording in any mode I am in, and I use the ISO and other settings of that mode. I think that is awesome, as really it means I can flip through settings on the fly.

But with the K3, Pentax does not go with a Red button. Heck they get rid of one of the Green programmable buttons. Instead we get a switch to go between the two functionalities. I think if they would replace that switch with a red button, which if the camera is not in LV mode, it goes into it, and the button goes live for recording, I think that would be an improvement from what the reviews show for the video capture.
I agree! The way they've designed it is very illogical, since the red button only ever has one function on the K-3 depending on whether or not you're in video mode. Perhaps nikon has patented the lv button with the switch around it? Probably not. Pentax should have just recycled the K5's AF button design and made that the LV button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I get it, its not the best camera Pentax put out. But I have to tell you
The K-01 was the most maligned camera Pentax ever made, at $900; but it was one of the most beloved at $250. All the concerns melted away at that price.
11-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The K-01 was the most maligned camera Pentax ever made, at $900; but it was one of the most beloved at $250. All the concerns melted away at that price.
That price makes me want to buy one, just for access to the sensor. I love my K-x's sensor, and I understand that this one is much nicer.

11-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will agree about that part of the K-01's functionality.

The ability to go in and out of video mode INSTANTLY made me a convert.
I genuinely learned to love the K-01, especially the movie function, K mount and same batteries as the K7/K5/K3/645D

If there is going to be a "Ricoh" branded K-mount camera, I hope it will be the K-01 replacement - and my first Ricoh if so.
11-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I prefer the k3; I'm always accidentally recording video on the k01
11-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I thought you were going to say the sexy yellow and black camera body.