Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

pentax software

so I guess if I don't have a cd rom (new mac mini) im pretty much out of luck since there seems to be no way to download software off pentax web site, this is the kind of stuff that really gets me. Not the best way to to give a good first impression to a new pentax owner sheez.

11-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tittermary Quote
so I guess if I don't have a cd rom (new mac mini) im pretty much out of luck since there seems to be no way to download software off pentax web site, this is the kind of stuff that really gets me. Not the best way to to give a good first impression to a new pentax owner sheez.
I'm sure someone on the forum would be happy to upload an ISO for you, but I agree that a downloadable version would be nice. The software should just be made 100% free to begin with...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tittermary Quote
if I don't have a cd rom (new mac mini)
Call the support department of Ricoh Pentax in your country. Explain that you have no CDROM drive, ask for a download location, or for them to send you a USB stick with an ISO of the software.

Having said that, you aren' missing much if you aren't able to get the software. Lightroom works OK with K-3 files.
11-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I find the Pentax software much more useful than it used to be, and it also does a good job of duplicating the JPEG settings on your RAW files, so you have a nice place to start and can easily take advantage of the improvements RAW files offer without having to become an expert right off the bat.

11-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I haven't loaded or used the Silkypix software in my last four or five Pentax bodies. Lightroom is so much better... however, I also haven't tried the latest greatest versions. Hmm, maybe I'll check it out.
11-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I haven't loaded or used the Silkypix software in my last four or five Pentax bodies. Lightroom is so much better... however, I also haven't tried the latest greatest versions. Hmm, maybe I'll check it out.
I use Capture One Pro most of the time, but there are still times I find the Pentax software useful.
11-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I tried last version of Digital Camera Utility, which came with K3 and it was sooo sloooow. Lightroom works like a breeze.

11-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Can't you buy an external USB CD/DVD burner/player ? They are dirt cheap. Sooner or later you will need one anyway.

Greetings
11-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fyby Quote
I tried last version of Digital Camera Utility, which came with K3 and it was sooo sloooow. Lightroom works like a breeze.
Lightroom is so great.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Can't you buy an external USB CD/DVD burner/player ? They are dirt cheap. Sooner or later you will need one anyway.

Greetings
Really! They are not vestigial yet, and I wouldn't own a computer without that capability. Externals are super cheap- problem solved... unless you are forced to buy a pricey Mac external drive, that is.
11-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had to install it last night because I didn't notice that the camera defaulted to PEF raw files and I couldn't import them into Lightroom! So I had to batch convert them to DNG with the Digital Camera Utility. :-)
11-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I had to install it last night because I didn't notice that the camera defaulted to PEF raw files and I couldn't import them into Lightroom! So I had to batch convert them to DNG with the Digital Camera Utility. :-)
PEF is default but you can change it to DNG in the menu. Also, Lightroom- at least any of the last several iterations- will handle PEF just fine...
11-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

PEF is default but you can change it to DNG in the menu. Also, Lightroom- at least any of the last several iterations- will handle PEF just fine...
Yeah, I missed that when I set up the camera. The PEFs did not import into Lightroom 4.4. But the converted DNGs did. Now if only the Multizone AWB ones weren't all tinted green and the EXIF contained lens info for the JPGs, we'd be set!
11-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #13

Original Poster
Lightroom is so great.

Really! They are not vestigial yet, and I wouldn't own a computer without that capability. Externals are super cheap- problem solved... unless you are forced to buy a pricey Mac external drive, that is.
yeah point taken
11-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I use Capture One Pro most of the time, but there are still times I find the Pentax software useful.
doesnt work with the k3 yet
11-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I find the Pentax software much more useful than it used to be, and it also does a good job of duplicating the JPEG settings on your RAW files, so you have a nice place to start and can easily take advantage of the improvements RAW files offer without having to become an expert right off the bat.
this was my thought