Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

K3 image quality confusion

I have been looking at some of the sample images posted on the K3 review, and what confuses me is the vastly inconstant image quality from what appears to be the same environment. For example this image https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k3review/samplephotos/IMGP3091.DNG has decent micro contrast and sharpness while this image https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k3review/samplephotos/IMGP3223.DNG looks like a disaster as far as sharpness and chromatic aberrations go. This image https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k3review/samplephotos/IMGP3203.DNG also suffers from similar issues yet all 3 have apparently been shot on a tripod.

I'm interested in this camera body for shooting in very rough conditions due to it's price (no big deal if it gets destroyed after a few outings) but I still do care about getting 24mp worth of usable image data which the sample images clearly don't have. Can the person that created the samples comment on what variable could have changed to create such a discrepancy in quality ?

11-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I have been looking at some of the sample images posted on the K3 review, and what confuses me is the vastly inconstant image quality from what appears to be the same environment. For example this image https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k3review/samplephotos/IMGP3091.DNG has decent micro contrast and sharpness while this image https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k3review/samplephotos/IMGP3223.DNG looks like a disaster as far as sharpness and chromatic aberrations go. This image https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k3review/samplephotos/IMGP3203.DNG also suffers from similar issues yet all 3 have apparently been shot on a tripod.

I'm interested in this camera body for shooting in very rough conditions due to it's price (no big deal if it gets destroyed after a few outings) but I still do care about getting 24mp worth of usable image data which the sample images clearly don't have. Can the person that created the samples comment on what variable could have changed to create such a discrepancy in quality ?
Those 3 images are all of a very different nature

1st image: this was an HDR RAW image
2nd image: there was a lot less light as in the first image as the sun had already gone down
3rd image: the DA 21mm just isn't that great

Apples to oranges here. But given the demanding lighting, I would say the camera did a rather good job overall.

But if you really want to be able to judge its image quality, take a look at the studio DNGs, and take a look at some of the other samples with more uniform lighting.

This camera doesn't disappoint in practice

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Maybe if you tell us what you want to use it for and what lens you want to use with it..?
11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Just to have one thought. Right now I'm doing learning the camera experience with K-3. I put it through many things. But If I would use techniques that I used with my K-7(soon, after my goofing around is over). I bet you, it will be better than before.

So critical things. When you know what you are doing. This cam can do it. No doubt. Fooling around and pushing it...that is another thing.

11-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm interested in this camera body for shooting in very rough conditions due to it's price (no big deal if it gets destroyed after a few outings) .....
I'm interested in this comment. What are you doing with your camera? Hunting African Lions?
11-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There's a whole thread on K-3 images…
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here.html
11-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
What are you doing with your camera?
Check out his photo blog. He goes to pretty interesting places, and does a lot of outdoors. Shoots some great photos too.
11-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

I'm interested in this comment. What are you doing with your camera? Hunting African Lions?
That was my thought, too!

Nice to have a bit of levity in the K-3 discussions from time to time!

11-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
I want to shoot sand storms and other bad weather phenomenon over the next year or so and I find the 645D a little bit to pricey and heavy to have in those types of situations, especially if you are trying to brace yourself and keep the wind from knocking you over. In a lot of those types of situations you tend to worry more about your own safety than the safety of the camera, so it it falls down or gets bumped against some rocks it's not a big loss in the case of a k3. I have been up in a storm at 14,000 feet in Colorado this past September and while I had the 645D with me, i was to nervous to take it out and shoot.
11-14-2013, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I want to shoot sand storms and other bad weather phenomenon over the next year or so and I find the 645D a little bit to pricey and heavy to have in those types of situations, especially if you are trying to brace yourself and keep the wind from knocking you over. In a lot of those types of situations you tend to worry more about your own safety than the safety of the camera, so it it falls down or gets bumped against some rocks it's not a big loss in the case of a k3. I have been up in a storm at 14,000 feet in Colorado this past September and while I had the 645D with me, i was to nervous to take it out and shoot.

If the wind gets to be too strong, you could always put your 645D on the ground and use it like an anchor.
11-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I was going to ask that ... you beat me to it !

That is what caught my attention too !

"No big deal if it gets destroyed" ... come on OP, let us know what your intent is with this camera !

Cheers!

JP

Edit: I checked the OP photo site : http://blog.dominik.ca/ and I must admit that some of the places he went are ... "rough".
Check it out: great photography in there!
11-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
K-3 image quality

First off I really like your work and now have your blog book marked. It seems to me this would be a natural compliment to the 645D. I think you will find that the K-3 is going to produce the detail you are looking for but when taken with the same care you would use in making an image with the 645d. I find myself tending towards only using my best glass with the K-3 but it's still early days.
11-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
First off I really like your work and now have your blog book marked. It seems to me this would be a natural compliment to the 645D. I think you will find that the K-3 is going to produce the detail you are looking for but when taken with the same care you would use in making an image with the 645d. I find myself tending towards only using my best glass with the K-3 but it's still early days.
Thanks for the kind words, i wish I had more time to update the blog but taking pictures is more fun than actually uploading them, lol...

As far as best glass goes, what is the best 20mm (or 18mm) equivalent and then a 50mm and 150mm for the K3 ? I have noticed that Lloyd Chambers is about to review some pentax lenses diglloyd blog - Pentax / Ricoh HD Limited Lenses and I'm curious to see what he thinks. I find myself shooting mostly with the 55mm on the 645D and then the 25mm as well as the 150mm so I would like to get similar FOV on the k3.
11-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the kind words, i wish I had more time to update the blog but taking pictures is more fun than actually uploading them, lol...

As far as best glass goes, what is the best 20mm (or 18mm) equivalent and then a 50mm and 150mm for the K3 ? I have noticed that Lloyd Chambers is about to review some pentax lenses diglloyd blog - Pentax / Ricoh HD Limited Lenses and I'm curious to see what he thinks. I find myself shooting mostly with the 55mm on the 645D and then the 25mm as well as the 150mm so I would like to get similar FOV on the k3.
I like both the FA 20mm F/2.8 and the FA 20-35mm F4.0 reviews can be found here and here. Back when I was involved in the "single in (month)" I shot an album with each lens the 20-35 here and the 20mm here
Hope that helps. There are newer lenses in this focal length but AFAIC none better.

NaCl(there is also a brand new DA 20-40 ltd but it's not out yet)H2O
11-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Forum member Heie had some useful comments about shooting in the sands of Afghanistan with a K-5. Should still apply to all weather-sealed current bodies. Have a search for it.

Jack