Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BeetleStuff Quote
I picked up my K3 and have noticed that when using a weather resistant zoom lens (DA 18-135mm WR) it produces a very audible hiss from escaping air around the rear e-dial on the camera body when zooming back rapidly.

I understand that air needs to flow for this type of lens, but the thing that disturbs me is that my K5 using the same lens has no air exiting around the rear e-dial, just a small puff around the viewfinder.

In comparison my K3 has a very strong loud flow of air from around the rear e-dial as well as a small puff around the viewfinder. I can also hear the air exhaust holding the camera at arm’s length.

Probably just a different design but I am worried that it has a faulty seal and would appreciate some help with a comparison to other people’s K3 cameras.

Can someone with a DA 18-135mm WR zoom on the K3 camera extend the zoom fully, then put your ear directly over the rear e-dial on the camera body and then zoom back rapidly – Does anyone else get a loud hiss from around the rear camera body e-dial?

Thanks.
Just tried your set-up on my new K3. There was zilch sound from anywhere on the camera after 3-4 zoom rotations

11-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Just tried your set-up on my new K3. There was zilch sound from anywhere on the camera after 3-4 zoom rotations
Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.

As lister6520 pointed out the air that needs to escape may be exiting through a tighter than normal orifice on my K3 producing a hiss under pressure.
This explanation turned my thoughts around from a return to keeping it as everything else works properly and the lenses that I have used with it so far appear to be spot on with regard to AF.

Regards Rob.