Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

My Pentax K3 is hissing at me?

I picked up my K3 and have noticed that when using a weather resistant zoom lens (DA 18-135mm WR) it produces a very audible hiss from escaping air around the rear e-dial on the camera body when zooming back rapidly.

I understand that air needs to flow for this type of lens, but the thing that disturbs me is that my K5 using the same lens has no air exiting around the rear e-dial, just a small puff around the viewfinder.

In comparison my K3 has a very strong loud flow of air from around the rear e-dial as well as a small puff around the viewfinder. I can also hear the air exhaust holding the camera at arm’s length.

Probably just a different design but I am worried that it has a faulty seal and would appreciate some help with a comparison to other people’s K3 cameras.

Can someone with a DA 18-135mm WR zoom on the K3 camera extend the zoom fully, then put your ear directly over the rear e-dial on the camera body and then zoom back rapidly – Does anyone else get a loud hiss from around the rear camera body e-dial?

Thanks.

Last edited by BeetleStuff; 11-13-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Gramma
11-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happens with mine too, except the air comes out on the left side. But it goes away when the port cover on the left side of the camera is properly closed.
11-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think it is more likely that your K-5 has the weaker seal. The hissing sound indicates that the air is being forced through a small opening and the lack of that hissing sound on the K-5 just indicates that it is easier for the air to get out, hence a bigger opening.

I have a K-r, a K-30 and now finally also a K-3. On the K-r, which is not weather sealed there is hardly any sound of air movement, because the air is coming out easily from many places.
However both the K-30 and the K-3 have a distinct hissing sound from the front dial but from the sound of it I can understand that although the air is coming out it is encountering considerable resistance.

The fact that the air comes out does not necessarily mean that water can get in since the air is being forced out under pressure, and is thus able to slightly displace the seal, whereas water would just be sitting there rather than tryong to force its way in.

That will however change if you operate the zoom, from wide to tele, while there is water sitting on the seal. The partial vacuum created inside will then allow the external air pressure to force its way in carrying the water with it. That is why at every opportunity I try to bring to attention that it is not a good idea to operate the zoom when the camera is wet. The air will have to get in from somewhere to fill in the extra volume and if there happens to the water at the point that air comes in the water will be carried in.
11-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Happens with mine too, except the air comes out on the left side. But it goes away when the port cover on the left side of the camera is properly closed.
So when the camera is properly sealed with nothing open no air exits around the rear e-dial when zooming back?

11-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I call my DA 18-135 WR "The Air Pump'.
When I use it, I put the zoom in the middle range, open a port on the camera, equalize the pressure, and try and use it that way.
11-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I think it is more likely that your K-5 has the weaker seal. The hissing sound indicates that the air is being forced through a small opening and the lack of that hissing sound on the K-5 just indicates that it is easier for the air to get out, hence a bigger opening.

I have a K-r, a K-30 and now finally also a K-3. On the K-r, which is not weather sealed there is hardly any sound of air movement, because the air is coming out easily from many places.
However both the K-30 and the K-3 have a distinct hissing sound from the front dial but from the sound of it I can understand that although the air is coming out it is encountering considerable resistance.

The fact that the air comes out does not necessarily mean that water can get in since the air is being forced out under pressure, and is thus able to slightly displace the seal, whereas water would just be sitting there rather than tryong to force its way in.

That will however change if you operate the zoom, from wide to tele, while there is water sitting on the seal. The partial vacuum created inside will then allow the external air pressure to force its way in carrying the water with it. That is why at every opportunity I try to bring to attention that it is not a good idea to operate the zoom when the camera is wet. The air will have to get in from somewhere to fill in the extra volume and if there happens to the water at the point that air comes in the water will be carried in.
That is why at every opportunity I try to bring to attention that it is not a good idea to operate the zoom when the camera is wet. The air will have to get in from somewhere to fill in the extra volume and if there happens to the water at the point that air comes in the water will be carried in.

Thanks for that advice, I use my camera in wet conditions often and have never considered that.
11-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BeetleStuff Quote
So when the camera is properly sealed with nothing open no air exits around the rear e-dial when zooming back?

The extra air in the zoom lens that extends and contracts has to come from and go somewhere. Most probably you've never noticed its entry and exit.

I've shot sports for a full day in heavy rain with a K-5 and a DA* 60-250/F4. While it's OK for a while (the deep hood on the 60-250 is great for keeping rain off the front of the lens), eventually after a few hours, the lens internals will fog up, due to the volume change, when zooming, pumping moist air into the camera. Then I have to go under cover, take the lens off and pump it a few times to exchange the super-saturated moist air with the less moist air in the room until the fog dissipates.

That's why I think the new Sports (weather resistant) model of the Sigma 70/200/F2.8, which is an IF lens (no volume change) would be a great idea for Pentax sports users. (I also have the older version of this, the 70-200/F2.8 II HSM (non-OS).)

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 11-13-2013 at 07:09 PM.
11-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

simple solution,,, suffer from hearing loss like me and WALA your camera is now the quietest camera ever. Just jesting.
Interesting situation though , a super zoom would move a bit of air, i but figured the pressure equalization would happen through the lens seals. ill have to turn up my hearing aids when i get a super zoom and listen for it.

11-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That is why at every opportunity I try to bring to attention that it is not a good idea to operate the zoom when the camera is wet. The air will have to get in from somewhere to fill in the extra volume and if there happens to the water at the point that air comes in the water will be carried in.
I doubt the water would cause a real problem... Air molecules are much smaller than water molecules, so air would be able to go in/out but water would be too big to fit through the holes. It's the same principal on basically anything waterproof, like clothing etc... They still breathe air, but don't allow water in due to the size of the holes in the membrane.
11-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
I have bad Tinnitus which is why I find the hiss to be really irritating, but as lister6520 pointed out it may indicate better sealing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I am at ease about my hissing K3 now.

Last edited by BeetleStuff; 11-13-2013 at 06:21 PM.
11-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When shooting in the rain with long extended zoom barrels you will find any amount of raindrops will settle on the extended barrel. With a WR zoom lens some off this water will be squeegeed off by the seals but the retracting barrel will still be damp and this dampness on the surface of the barrel will eventually evaporate inside the lens. With a none WR lens this is even more of a problem to consider.

I may be paranoid but I combat this when ever I can. How ? I bought a small towel from a golf shop (They are small and handy, golfers use them to dry balls and club grips) then after retracting the extended zoom barrel I roll out the zoom again and dry off the remaining moisture. It's no great afford and done very quickly. I carry this small towel in my camera bag all the time and keep it handy during rainy shoots and it is very handy in all sorts of situations. Just keep it clean.

Greetings
11-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
I doubt the water would cause a real problem... Air molecules are much smaller than water molecules, so air would be able to go in/out but water would be too big to fit through the holes. It's the same principal on basically anything waterproof, like clothing etc... They still breathe air, but don't allow water in due to the size of the holes in the membrane.
Unfortunately, unlike industrial weatherproof equipment, Pentax have not seen fit to use membranes to allow flow of air while leaving the water behind. They just put rubber seals and seem to assume (or hope?) there will be no air displacement. Water does not need a particularly big hole to get through and a seal being temporarily pushed open by air pressure will easily let water through. If the water is actually in the path of the air it will get in before the air. The hole being small doesn;t really help either as the water gets squirted in under pressure rather than just flowing down the inner side of the body.

Lenses with internal zoom would help a lot and almost solve the issue. I say almost because there will still be some displacement of air due to temperature changes, though in most cases this will be too small to draw in a significant amount of water.
11-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Water does not need a particularly big hole to get through,
Well It does really... A single molecule of water requires approximately 20,000x larger size hole than that of an air molecule.

This is how waterproof clothing like Gore-tex for example works, the 9 billion pores on the material are 20,000 times to small to let water through, which means the material will always breathe air, but never allow water in, the little boomerang shaped molecules of water will sit on top.

Even under pressure the molecules are too large to fit through a small hole. I would only assume that the rubber seals in cameras are working the same way, but have never pulled apart my WR lenses to find out... At least I would hope that's how they are designed.

Now if we could come up with a way to stop dust particles from entering my 'Ye Old Dust Pump' ie my 50-500mm Bigma, than I would be much happier...

11-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BeetleStuff Quote
I picked up my K3 and have noticed that when using a weather resistant zoom lens (DA 18-135mm WR) it produces a very audible hiss from escaping air around the rear e-dial on the camera body when zooming back rapidly.

I understand that air needs to flow for this type of lens, but the thing that disturbs me is that my K5 using the same lens has no air exiting around the rear e-dial, just a small puff around the viewfinder.

In comparison my K3 has a very strong loud flow of air from around the rear e-dial as well as a small puff around the viewfinder. I can also hear the air exhaust holding the camera at arm’s length.

Probably just a different design but I am worried that it has a faulty seal and would appreciate some help with a comparison to other people’s K3 cameras.

Can someone with a DA 18-135mm WR zoom on the K3 camera extend the zoom fully, then put your ear directly over the rear e-dial on the camera body and then zoom back rapidly – Does anyone else get a loud hiss from around the rear camera body e-dial?

Thanks.
There was a hiss that came from my cat last week from the opposite end when i was petting her...
11-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
There was a hiss that came from my cat last week from the opposite end when i was petting her...
I bet what comes out of my K3 smells a lot better than what comes out of your cat.