Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for doing this comparison. As a K-7 and K-01 owner this shows me exactly how the sensors compare. For the conditions I shoot in it looks like I will be happy with the K-3's high ISO image quality: noise essentially equivalent to K-01 and a big upgrade over K-7.

11-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #17

Colors introduced by lack of anti-aliasing filter

Look at the ISO 100 image from the blog, which is the first image shown.

These are photographs of the face of a camera, containing very small dots from the texture of the surface of the camera, each dot being around a single pixel in size. Since this is ISO 100, the dots are not noise.

One interesting thing about these is that the dots are shades of gray on the sensor which has an anti-aliasing filter, but they become cyan or magenta or yellow on the sensor without the filter, depending on which photo site they land on. They look like hot pixels from an aging sensor.

It's anyone's guess as to whether they'd show up in a print from a photo lab using lasers and photo paper.

Direct link to the image:
http://wkoopmans.ca/notebook/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PentaxK3vsK7_100ISO.jpg

Last edited by bdp1; 11-15-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Added link to the image, added title
11-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Thanks, Painter. People are arguing a lot about the K3 high iso performance. I feel like it is really close to the K5. That is to say, my normal high for iso is about 3200, but I will go to 6400 in a pinch. That really does seem to be the ceiling for iso for APS-C. At low iso, on the other hand, you get more resolution.

What's not to like? The K3 is just a better camera all around. My only issue with it is that they moved the AF button. But I'm sure I can get used to it over time...
11-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
Here are crops from the K-3 and K-01 at 6400 ISO with no noise reduction as an example.
you are attempting a visual comparison, using pictures that were shot at different shutter speeds, and cropped differently.

1/15th vs. 1/25th, and one example is zoomed in more than the other.

it would have been interesting to have seen a sensor comparison using apples vs. apples; if one is too dark at the same shutter speed, so be it, lets see the difference.

thanks for the post, tho.

11-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #20

Original Poster
Perhaps OSV

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
you are attempting a visual comparison, using pictures that were shot at different shutter speeds, and cropped differently.

1/15th vs. 1/25th, and one example is zoomed in more than the other.

it would have been interesting to have seen a sensor comparison using apples vs. apples; if one is too dark at the same shutter speed, so be it, lets see the difference.

thanks for the post, tho.
I wouldn't call it cropping I shot them all from a tripod at a fixed location all with the DFA 100 macro WR and these are 100% views of he images. Yes there is a slight exposure difference in one or two of twenty images Im satisfied that the difference is negligable in terms of the outcome. The conclusion is the same. I choose to allow the exposure systems to do their jobs as thats more in line with how i would use them and they were all very close.
11-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Forum Member

Thank you

Thanks for taking the time to do this write up. I also upgraded from the K-7, but don't have a K-01. For me it is a major improvement. I can take shots I wouldn't even consider with the K-7. The high ISO performance and the AF are the two biggest improvements for me.

Thanks again.
11-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #22

Original Poster
It is pretty great

QuoteOriginally posted by rskura Quote
Thanks for taking the time to do this write up. I also upgraded from the K-7, but don't have a K-01. For me it is a major improvement. I can take shots I wouldn't even consider with the K-7. The high ISO performance and the AF are the two biggest improvements for me.

Thanks again.
This is my third weekend with it and I too am finding I'm able to take shots I couldn't or wouldnt before there is absolutely no buyers remorse.