Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bad news: Flucard delayed till February

A bit of bad news on the Ricoh website today. It's not entirely clear whether this is only for Japan or worldwide.

Google Translate

11-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering Japan usually gets things first, this would seem to be worldwide... ugh.

Well, better late than a Charlie Foxtrot.
11-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

SO, what you're saying is Henry's knew more than they were telling us when they shipped our K-3s before the flu-card arrived…the bastards, I count on them telling me everything.
11-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

When I talked to Henry's the guy muttered something about not being able to get anyone who spoke english.

11-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I usually only talk to professional services, you usually get a person who's sitting right there in the store. And they usually have a really good handle on what's going on. They don't check to see if you're a pro.
11-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems to me Ricoh is not content to release something that isn't up to the high standards they set for their products. If it isn't what they want, they fix it before they sell it.

I like that.
11-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Must be harder to make it work than we assumed.
Probably the hardware is OK - Flucards have been in production for years. I bet it's the fancy software they want that's bogging them down.

11-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Must be harder to make it work than we assumed.
Probably the hardware is OK - Flucards have been in production for years. I bet it's the fancy software they want that's bogging them down.
There is video of it working, and I believe at the show bdry went to in Montreal they had a working version on display, makes me wonder if it's getting them produced that is the issue. I guess it's possible they were working with prototypes, but given the number of them that seem to be floating around, that seems unlikely.

More likely a QC issue in production...
11-14-2013, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Banned

From: CDC - What You Should Know for the 2013-2014 Influenza Season | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

When will flu activity begin and when will it peak?

The timing of flu is very unpredictable and can vary from season to season. Flu activity most commonly peaks in the U.S. in January or February. However, seasonal flu activity can begin as early as October and continue to occur as late as May.
11-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
From: CDC - What You Should Know for the 2013-2014 Influenza Season | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

When will flu activity begin and when will it peak?

The timing of flu is very unpredictable and can vary from season to season. Flu activity most commonly peaks in the U.S. in January or February. However, seasonal flu activity can begin as early as October and continue to occur as late as May.
I'm way ahead of you, I've already got my flu-shot. Now if I could just get my FLUcard.
11-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Bad news: Flucard delayed till February
We need to get James May to say this ASAP.
11-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There is video of it working, and I believe at the show bdry went to in Montreal they had a working version on display, makes me wonder if it's getting them produced that is the issue. I guess it's possible they were working with prototypes, but given the number of them that seem to be floating around, that seems unlikely.
The sales rep at the Quebec photo expo said they had 1-2 cards for demos in Canada for the moment, and they were currently in Winnipeg. He said it worked well and was really cool to operate the camera with this card. But he couldn't show me anything.

In short the cards appear to exist, I would assume indeed that it's a production problem.
11-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Banned

I have no confidence in this company. Tried touching base about the products, no answers.
11-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I have no confidence in this company. Tried touching base about the products, no answers.
Maybe they don't have any firm info… many companies, like Apple say, don't discus a problem, unless they can simultaneously release the solution. SO, once a firm date is projected, they'll probably talk to you. It's funny you have no confidence in this company though.. do you have confidence in any company? I'd like to see the list.
11-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Seems to me Ricoh is not content to release something that isn't up to the high standards they set for their products. If it isn't what they want, they fix it before they sell it.

I like that.
Me too, but in this case it's about unexpectedly high demand.